Sellers misrepresenting trailers? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #43

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Ed, just wanted to say I liked your post. I missed it before.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
As I see it, the problem in this Forum with asking others to inspect a trailer is the nagging suspicion that by doing so one runs the risk of having the inspector "score" a trailer that might otherwise have been bought by the person that brought it to the voluntary "inspector's" attention.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #45

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
As I see it, the problem in this Forum with asking others to inspect a trailer is the nagging suspicion that by doing so one runs the risk of having the inspector "score" a trailer that might otherwise have been bought by the person that brought it to the voluntary "inspector's" attention.
Well... I'm safe, unless it is a good parts Trillium 1300. My wife would kill me if I buy another one!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #46

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
From my own experiences in inspecting Toyota motorhomes for a number of years, although some wannabee buyers were sometimes cagy about where a For Sale rig is located, I never heard even the suggestion raised that someone offering to inspect would then poach on anothers opportunity.

I agree that many sellers are less than honest when adverising, perhaps something they learned from the "professionals" after buying a few new and/or use cars from dealers over the years.

But, in the RV field, I find that a lot of sellers are truly ignorant of what they are selling and it's real condition. Just asking how long ago the wheel bearings were repacked will usually get a blank state or an obscure answer.

As the tone of this entire thread seems to suggest, and my own experiences proves out, there are a lot of frogs out there to be kissed before you find your prince of a FGRV.

Good Luck Hunting
Old 10-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #47

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
No trailer is perfect and I would point that out to the seller. I would be very specific about what photos I would want sent to me. First, I would ask the seller to send me a close up picture of everything that he/she knows is broken or in need of adjustment.

Then I would have a list of the photos you feel would reveal any specific issues you can't live with, such as inside of fridge, fridge door, bathroom, bathroom sink from top, area around toilet, all cabinets so you can see latches, plumbing under trailer, floor, top of stove, floor under kitchen sink, close up of lower front panel of outside of trailer, air conditioner cover, etc. If they would not be willing to do that I would pass.

If I were having someone look at the trailer, I would ask if they would mind sending me pictures they would take.

Any seller that is not trying to hide the condition of the unit they are selling, should be willing to do that. Once they have done that, they will have done the work already for any future interested buyer.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #48

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Quote:
The other thing about asking someone to look at a camper are the different opinions as to what is good or not good. Whereas I look at one that needs some repair and some clean up as good, others will turn their noses up at even the teeniest work. Same with money. What seems a good buy to one is not to another.

CindyL
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #49

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Best down the middle post, Bob.

Not every seller is honest. Not every seller is knowledgable. Not every seller is at the time of life when they can even pretend to enthusiasm about either the sale or the item sold. Some of these trailers are 35 yrs. old. If we're not tough enuf to face up to a bit of entropy as evidenced in pre-owned goods and pre-lived lives and retain just a trace of humour and sympathy, we're better off buying new or not at all. Have mercy. We all need a strategy for maintaining perspective as well as a strategy for making a good deal. Kiss a frog; get an education.

jack
Old 10-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #50

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
If we're not tough enuf to face up to a bit of entropy as evidenced in pre-owned goods and pre-lived lives and retain just a trace of humour and sympathy, we're better off buying new or not at all. Have mercy. We all need a strategy for maintaining perspective as well as a strategy for making a good deal. Kiss a frog; get an education.
Rabbit, that's the sagest advice I've read in a long time.

When we finally found our used trailer, it had a few undisclosed problems. After the initial disillusion, I now know my little Casita a lot better. I also learned a lot... like how to repair a warm running refrigerator. I also discovered that, in spite of several small things that needed fixing, that the underlying quality of a Casita is unbeatable.

In fact I take pride in the fact that my little trailer is aging so gracefully.

Although, if I won the lottery, I would probably order a brand spanking new shiny Casita!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #51
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Kiss a frog; get an education.

jack
that's what Maggie always says...... Ribbit Ribbit
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #52

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
RE: Asking for lots of pics.

As an occasional RV seller on eBay I usually post about 20 pics. Experience has shown me that those that send a note asking for more specific pics are looking for something more perfect than a 20 y.o. RV and, while I usually respond to any and all questions, unless it's something I missed, I usually turn down what I call those "nitty gritty" requests for a detail of this and a detail of that.

However, I have always offered any buyer the option to negotiate or back out at time of pick-up if there are substantive problems or misrepresentations. of pick-up.

I try to be one of those, apparently non-existant, honest sellers.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #53

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I recently helped a young employee of mine buy a used car. He ran each candidate by me, both because I wasn't going to help fund a car that was going to become a money pit, and because I know a fair bit about cars. I was amazed at all of the craigslist ads where the pictures of the car included McDonalds bags, drinks in the cupholders, shoes, kids toys, etc. Waxing the car is one thing... but can't you at least throw away the garbage before snapping a few pics?

Also, many of the ads had some truth to them, but was always toned down... like "near perfect condition, runs great, doesn't start."

There were a few things I warned him about just before he left to drive an hour to look at one. He bought it, and everything I told him to look out for WAS THERE! It looks like the car was originally owned by a kid who "customized it", including spray painting the interior. There is a lot of rust under the seats and carpeting has been removed, which looks like flood damage to me, and many more issues.

So, the seller can be misleading... and also buyers can be dumb.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #54

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:

I doubt that happens very often, only because most forum members are owners. And most of us aren't into collecting glass (there are a few members who choose to own more than one, but the most of us are good with just one! )

This summer, I found someone I know to go look at a trailer for a member here. She had asked for help, no one responded, I know people in the area. So I asked a old friend to go and look at it for her because he rv's and summer's in the area. It worked out that he could. She bought it. Again, it is only someones opinion but it does help to have others idea if something is worth investigating further as a possible purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

But, in the RV field, I find that a lot of sellers are truly ignorant of what they are selling and it's real condition. Just asking how long ago the wheel bearings were repacked will usually get a blank state or an obscure answer.

EXACTLY!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #55

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
Most retailers misrepresenting also.
Buy beware anytime you buy something.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #56

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
...........But, in the RV field, I find that a lot of sellers are truly ignorant of what they are selling and it's real condition. Just asking how long ago the wheel bearings were repacked will usually get a blank state or an obscure answer...........
Well said and I find this true in the sale of most used items including cars and houses. Don't attribute to malice or dishonesty that which can be explained by ignorance.

That said, ignorance can also apply to the price and therein lies the real opportunity for a deal.