Setup Questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Name: Gigi
Trailer: Love Bug 1974, Eriba Puck 1972
Arizona, Minnesota & Va
At a campground last year, I had parked my camper so it faced the river. Well, the owner of the campground didn't allow anyone to park other than front side forward. He and I were talking and he offered to move the camper. As I am backup challenged, I let him. He helped unhook the camper, nice man that he was. All was well until I wanted to leave. He'd parked the camper so that I couldn't get the jack swung into position! As he was brawyn sort of fellow, when he unhooked the camper for me, he must have lifter the camper to get the jack up! Fortunately, a kind neighbor at the campsite saw my dilemma and offered assistance.

You shouldn't ever leave home without a small, portable jack. Had I had one, this would have been a breeze. I immediately purchased one and did use it a few times after this first incident. They are inexpensive and very easy to use.

Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:03 PM   #16
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
...You shouldn't ever leave home without a small, portable jack...
That's a good point. It may also be helpful to note that you may have more equipment than you know - the typical tire-changing jack hiding somewhere in the back of the tow vehicle can lift far more than the tongue weight of the trailer, and may (depending on height range, shape of the jack top, etc) be useful in roles other than that which the tug maker intended for it. In a pinch, interesting things can be made to work for temporary use, especially if one is careful to stay out from under (or beside) questionably supported stuff.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #17
Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
The only time I've had a brush with danger while hooking up my 13 footer is when I took out the wheel chocks too soon. I was rolling it to get closer to the hitch and it lurched forward off the leveling block and damn near mashed my hand between the coupler and the bumper.
The best way, if you're on level ground, is to keep the TV four feet away, pull the trailer off the block and let roll a few feet, then roll it to the hitch.
If not on the level, you have to jockey the TV ball under the hitch like the big boys have to do. Not easy if you're alone.
Watch those fingers!

shirley munson is offline   Reply With Quote