Several questions... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
Yesterday the trailer shop which was replacing our axle phoned to tell us they caught it on fire and it's totaled. I'm in shock.
Question #1: has this happened to anyone else?
Question #2: we were looking at a scamp on e-bay, located in Pennsylvania. Just wondering, why are the graphics on most scamps red, but green on this one?
Off to meet with the shop owner.....and see our poor Scamp.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
OMG, I can only think they were trying to pull off the old axle and somehow caught the trailer on fire with the acetylene torch.

Do you have a link to the ebay scamp? I have only seen red scamp graphics so it would be good to determine if it's also been painted.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I am so sorry about your Scamp! That's awful! I hope insurance/shop reimburses you fairly and you're able to find another one quickly. Still, not quite like having the one you love and have put work into.
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....Terribly sorry about your loss Lisa. Its a good theing that the gang at Escape Trailers in C'Wack LIFTED our glass body off of the frame while they were checking/straingthening the frame on our Trillium!! Hope their insurance does WELL by you.......
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:58 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Just wondering, why are the graphics on most scamps red, but green on this one?
The current Scamp graphic convention is to use [b]RED graphics to indicate a standard interior with fiberglass furniture, and [b]GOLD graphics to indicate a Deluxe wood cabinetry interior.

This Scamp's PO (previous Owner) must have wanted the graphics color-coordinated with the awning...
It's not really hard to do aftermarket...
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
OMG, I can only think they were trying to pull off the old axle and somehow caught the trailer on fire with the acetylene torch.

Do you have a link to the ebay scamp? I have only seen red scamp graphics so it would be good to determine if it's also been painted.
My posting has been edited by Mary F (thanks Mary!) so there is a link to see the trailer, just click on the description "scamp on e-bay, etc"
Marjie
Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Marjie,

See this thread about insurance.

Don't let your insurance (or the shop's insurance) undervalue the Scamp.
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
This Scamp's PO (previous Owner) must have wanted the graphics color-coordinated with the awning...
I'm thinking you are real close with the colour coordination concept. The ebay listing gives a couple of other clues. In the Q&A at the end of the listing they say "this camper was used for hauling there stuff behind ther rv camper "
Picture 19 of 23 of the ebay listing shows a white rv in the background with a green stripe down the side. The rv has rounded corners making them look like they really belong together. I'd suggest the green stripe matches their rv.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19of23.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	13796

The green also goes with the tire cover promoting their business. I was originally thinking the 3 tree logo was an early Scamp thing and that the green possibly went with that logo. If you look at the logo above the tire cover, in picture 7 of 23 of the ebay listing, you will see the three trees with the red scamp logo below it. This says to me that the original logo on the trailer was most likely red.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7of23.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	13797

Post was edited to provide source of pictues.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
So sorry to hear of your loss. Knowing the way we egg owners are, I would liken it to losing a family member
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #10

New York
Quote:
So sorry to hear of your loss. Knowing the way we egg owners are, I would liken it to losing a family member
HI,
It WAS like losing a family member! And I actually did cry at the garage when I took a
look at it! Yikes, what a mess.
But thank you everyone for your condolences, If I EVER consider replacing our Scamp with anything other than fiberglass, I know that I couldn't be part of this group.
So that's not going to happen!!!
Marjie
Old 06-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Marjie, Sorry to hear your Scamp is gone. Hope no one was hurt when it happened. Wow, How did it happen? Hope your back to camping soon........ Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Hi,
Yesterday the trailer shop which was replacing our axle phoned to tell us they caught it on fire and it's totaled. I'm in shock.
Question #1: has this happened to anyone else?
Well, you just scared the heck out of me.
Our trailer is in the shop getting a new axle and they just called to let me know that there was a problem.
Today is Fri the 13th and I feared the worst. Turns out they were giving me an update on events. Axle didn't arrive as planned but should be here next week and I should have the trailer back by the end of the week.
Wheeeuw!!!
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #13

New York
Everyone,
Thanks for your input! I'm not sure exactly how it happened, and the mechanic said that they didn't even know it was on fire, because it was all contained inside! The outside looks pretty good, except where the fire department cut the door off.
The inside is a disaster.
And luckily, for everyone, no one was hurt.
Well, I didn't get the nice Scamp on e-bay but the search goes on....
(My last camping vehicle was a VW Westfalia that also caught on fire. But that's almost expected!).
Marjie
Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
I'm wondering if the Green Lettered Scamp is a ACORN. I don't know much about the Acorn's, but perhaps this was a design trait. Is there anyone who can add to this?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It is not an Acorn. The model year is 1983 and Acorn was long gone by then, I think.

They just did custom green on a stock unit.

The interior has green aspects to it.. not common for Scamps.

And I am sorry for the fire loss. Heed everyones advise here and supply ebay ads, and other listings to show what these sell for in order to got properly compensated.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I know exactly how you feel, the body shop did that to my Van, after telling me it was ready and would be delivered in two hours.
Hope you can work out an amicable and fair settlement
Joe
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I was wondering if the fire was a random fluke or if this is a common danger with axle replacements? I hope you are able to get compensation.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Do NOT let them talk about Book Value of the Scamp because in the realm of fiberglass trailers NADA is totally out of whack! The market prices are far higher than the books would have you believe.

BTW, fire IS a danger with axle replacements because the welding is so close to the body. A safety-conscious shop will have you empty the trailer, especially the closet, galley unit and under-bunks so they can be easily be examined during and after the cutting and welding.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
In addition, the person that did mine had me remove the propane tanks a couple of days before and vent the lines.

They cut everything with a plasma cutter rather than your old fashioned cutting torch.
Shortly after each cut or weld they used a spray bottle with water and cooled the area they worked on.
Everything they used was was electrical, no acetylene.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
In "The Axle Saga Continues" this issue will be covered in the evolving story.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote