Sewer Solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Sewer Solution

I posted this review/report today on the Escape Camper forum. I'd like to share it here, too:

had some fun emptying the blackwater tank on the Escape 19 for the first time so I thought I would share my thoughts.

I'm nowhere particularly near a dump station so I was looking at getting a macerator system for convenience so I could use my own sewer system for dumping. They're about $200 on the 'net for the Shurflo brand and require that you have access to high pressure water and a 12VDC source. I happened to be at Camping World after reading some reviews on the Sewer Solution and I bought one last week. It's a simpler system that utilizes just hose power to force water through a jet into a coupler attached to the sewer hose connection. Under the force of the water, the sewage, TP and crud is broken up and ejected through a 3/4" flexible hose that can be output directly to the sewer with the attached adapters, if you're 10' away. Alternatively for longer runs, you can buy more 10' hose, utilize press fit 1" PVC connections, or do what I did and pick up some cheap 25' sump hose. The jet chamber is made of clear polycarbonate so you can watch the process, and it has a quick disconnect for the garden hose with a vacuum breaker to prevent reverse siphons. It also has a two position setup where you can go from the jet operation to a simple backflush. The garden hose connection was a pretty tight squeeze due to the proximity with the escape tires, so a short extender might be a good idea some installations.

You start by connecting the sewer solution to the dump valve connection and the 10' hose to your sewer cleanout using the included adapters. I had to run a total of about 35 feet so I spent another $12 on a 25' black corrugated 1-1/4" hose which connected right up to the 1" PVC Sewer Solution output fitting using a hose clamp. I snaked the hose across the lawn and into the sewer cleanout in front of our chimney. I ran it in there about a foot and put the cover (a small round concrete manhole) to hold it in place.

You get the hose running first and make sure there are no leaks, then open the gate valve on the black tank. Watching through the window you can monitor the process. It took about 2 minutes to empty the black tank. Things do slow down as the tank nears empty. I switched the jet over to backfill and filled and emptied the tank a few times. It takes about 3 to four minutes to fill the tank and about 2 minutes to empty it. I think the bottom surface of the tank has some corrugation on it, a reinforcement or something to give it more strength, and that makes it harder to empty.. It's physically located inside the Escape 19 trailer between the shower liner and the floor, so it's hard to see clearly. I had purchased a separate cleanout wand that is designed to be lowered through the bowl and into the tank, but honestly it's such a short shot that the sprayback makes using that thing a problem. With rigid wands you have to hold the toilet trap open, too, to avoid damaging the edges. I would probably go with the soft wand next time because you can just put it in there and not worry about the trap getting damaged.

I think if I had a decent wand it would have flushed out clean in 3 refills but with what I was working with it was not quite clean after four. The tank had not been emptied in a few months probably. The PO also used a multi-ply toilet paper that did not break down much. However, the sewer solution never clogged.

I would rate it four out of five stars for convenience and performance. If I had not had the issue with trying to get the hose on so close to the driver side front tire tread it would have gone much more smoothly. You do need copious water so I don't think this would be a practical solution operating off the internal water tank and pump.

You can buy the Sewer Solution through Camping World, or direct from the manufacturer. I think you'll find it costs around $125 retail. I did get an email today (d12/6/2010) from Camping World after I already bought the thing offering Employee Pricing on 24 items, one of which was the Sewer Solution at around $82. A little late to take advantage of!

SewerSolution

Regards,

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
howto.JPG  
Old 12-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Hmm. I think I will keep my porta potti.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Since your trailer was in "storage" Matt, that could have been some of the problem, especially since the tank couldn't/wasn't emptied. I would hope no one would allow the tank to sit with product in it for very long.... Thanks for the info!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I let my tank sit for two days after getting home once and regretted it.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Since your trailer was in "storage" Matt, that could have been some of the problem, especially since the tank couldn't/wasn't emptied. I would hope no one would allow the tank to sit with product in it for very long.... Thanks for the info!
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I would hope no one would allow the tank to sit with product in it for very long....
When I bought my Fiber Stream it had been in storage for a year, and the black tank was Full. That 1st cleaning will be forever etched into my memory.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:35 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
When I bought my Fiber Stream it had been in storage for a year, and the black tank was Full. That 1st cleaning will be forever etched into my memory.
Dear FLS,

I will pray for you tonight, that the memory will fade. That will even give me bad dreams. How could ANYONE do that??

Regards,

Keith
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just the thought of cleaning a tank that had been sitting for more than a few days would put me off the whole operation - have no doudt it would be a tough clean up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I did a quick Google search for the Sewer Solution and see that ebay has a "buy it now" price of $85 for it.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I did a quick Google search for the Sewer Solution and see that ebay has a "buy it now" price of $85 for it.
As long as it's a new Solution, I'd go for it!

Regards,

Matt
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #10

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Who would not want the pooh out regardless? I got stuck in Montana for two weeks because the crappers kept icing up in the septic system of the train. Gone are the days of not flushing while in the train station.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i am still "digesting" the whole idea that someone would offer their trailer for sale WITHOUT dumping the black water!! that is just gross....
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #12

Iowa
Registry
Totally there. When we buy property with a septic on it we find out the last time it has been pumped out. As with any septic system, you try not to flush anything that will come back to haunt you.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
Totally there. When we buy property with a septic on it we find out the last time it has been pumped out. As with any septic system, you try not to flush anything that will come back to haunt you.
Hi: Cyndi B... I'd nearly forgotten about ABC Disposal finding a Curity Diaper that got caught in the swirling waters and "Disappeared". It sent their machine into defibrilation and had to be uncloged before continuing.
In the trailer we use the same 1ply as for the septic sys. at home...only a lot less of it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:20 AM   #14

Iowa
Registry
Those septic cleaning guys can read your lifestyle like an open book.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #15

If you go to sewersolution.com, they usually have "seconds" for sale at reduced pricing. These are new and I bought one several years ago without any problems.

EKW
Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I checked again and ebay still has new ones for sale for $85 - $89.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
If you go to sewersolution.com, they usually have "seconds" for sale at reduced pricing. These are new and I bought one several years ago without any problems.

EKW
Hi: Keith Williams... The trouble with having a "seconds" is who did what with it "Firsts"???
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Keith Williams... The trouble with having a "seconds" is who did what with it "Firsts"???
Well one would hope "second" doesn't mean someone already "wents" first, eh?

That would be a crappy situation, me thinks

EKW

Tags
dumping