Sheesh! roof vents... - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I am looking to replace my roof vent (possibly wanting to install a Maxx or Fantastic fan) but all of the vent/fans I see out there are 14"x14". I loosely measured my current vent on my un-updated 1982 13' Scamp and it is 14"x21". I suppose I could make the opening smaller by doing some fiberglass work, but I have never worked with fiberglass before. I would feel comfortable patching a hole but... a roof vent??? Has anyone seen any fans or vents that would fit my opening? Has anyone else installed a 14x14 into a 14x21 space? How did you do it??

Thanks so much!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
I am looking to replace my roof vent (possibly wanting to install a Maxx or Fantastic fan) but all of the vent/fans I see out there are 14"x14". I loosely measured my current vent on my un-updated 1982 13' Scamp and it is 14"x21". I suppose I could make the opening smaller by doing some fiberglass work, but I have never worked with fiberglass before. I would feel comfortable patching a hole but... a roof vent??? Has anyone seen any fans or vents that would fit my opening? Has anyone else installed a 14x14 into a 14x21 space? How did you do it??

Thanks so much!

Instead of trying to fill the larger hole, why not put the vent fan of your choice in a new hole you would make towards the front of the camper?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Instead of trying to fill the larger hole, why not put the vent fan of your choice in a new hole you would make towards the front of the camper?

That's a great idea Dan- I can't believe that I never thought of that! I still need to replace the vent and vent cover though they are both in bad shape... any tips on where to find one that is 14x21 inches??
Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 PM   #4

Name: Weldon
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Texas
Quote:

Thanks so much!
Most likely what you have is an exit vent. Elixir makes a 15 x 22 one, that should work for you.
Do a google search for Elixir roof vent. That should get you to the right website. I have seen several sizes listed, and I know there is one that size. Elixir makes a lot of different RV items. It is an opening vent, not powered however ..

Weldon
Old 07-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
That's a great idea Dan- I can't believe that I never thought of that! I still need to replace the vent and vent cover though they are both in bad shape... any tips on where to find one that is 14x21 inches??

Try Scamp. 1.800.346.4962
Old 07-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Most likely what you have is an exit vent. Elixir makes a 15 x 22 one, that should work for you.
Do a google search for Elixir roof vent. That should get you to the right website. I have seen several sizes listed, and I know there is one that size. Elixir makes a lot of different RV items. It is an opening vent, not powered however ..

Weldon

Great info Weldon- thank you! I found a site that sold the unit you were talking about! But man oh man! $62 for a new vent cover... ug!

I would really love to lose the vent and put in a fan, (and, in turn, not waste $62 but rather, put it towards a fan...) but then I am back to the dilemma of not having the right sized hole.

How hard is fiberglass patching I wonder???
Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #7

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Great info Weldon- thank you! I found a site that sold the unit you were talking about! But man oh man! $62 for a new vent cover... ug!

I would really love to lose the vent and put in a fan, (and, in turn, not waste $62 but rather, put it towards a fan...) but then I am back to the dilemma of not having the right sized hole.

How hard is fiberglass patching I wonder???
Closing down the vent and putting a fan in it's place could be problematic. One of the problems is that you almost have to the run the fan all the time to get any ventilation. Which might be alright if you're connected to shore power, but boondocking it would put a drain on the battery. When Scamp installs a roof fan they cut another hole and keep the large vent working.

I was talking to gentleman at Bullards Beach last year that put a MAXX Air fan in place of his 14 x 14 vent, Casita trailer. He had to keep the fan running all time. Even then it still felt stuffy in his trailer.

Just another thought.

P.S. I live in Oregon and never felt the need for a ceiling fan. The large vent takes care of things almost all the time. I bought a constant breeze fan (12 Volt) and have used it twice in the 2.5 years and 100+ camping nights I've have my trailer.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:

Sorry I didn't know the existing vent and cover were bad. What's wrong with the vent itself?

We were able to replace the Jensen escape vent cover in our 88 directly from Scamp. We also removed the wood trim, sanded and re-varnished. We removed the vent frame, sealed with Butyl tape, re-riveted, and used caps to seal all of the rivets as well.