shelter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
shelter

while i will not be putting the scamp to bed for the winter, as i intend to use it, i do want to protect her from the snow and ice.

i was thinking of getting one of those temporary carports, but th reports i get are they don't last and should not be used in snow.

that being the case,,,,and as i am a welder, i am thinking i will build one that is stronger, and use a good heavy tarp. i imagine i can build one better and cheaper then i can buy one, but figure i should ask the experts first. is there a better option?

P.S. an expert is ex= has been
xpert= drip under preasure
Old 10-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was looking at them and the reviews indicate that with enough wind, they self destruct. Maybe you could buy one and reinforce it.

I'm a welder (sort of), too, and have found that you can buy steel pretty cheap at the metal recyclers.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i think 1 inch conduit would be good and strong and real inexpensive to buy. can weld up couplers so they can be taken down, then use a heavy silver vinyl tarp and bungies. and i can anchor the whole thing down good with rebar tent pegs.
the plus side is would have one heck of a shelter for summer picnics too
Old 10-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I bought something like this. (Carports.com)
Some of them are bit spendy, but the warranty and the method of anchoring is good. The "carport" is anchored with 8 3' long spikes and 4' duckbill anchors. It's not going anyplace.
I had one the really nice fabric ones several years ago. It wasn't at this house. I had a utility trailer inside. The winds came up and blew the cover into a neighbors field. One the way over the utility trailer it broke one of the tail lights. I hate to think what would have happened with Scamp in there.

Here's picture of our Scamp in it's nest.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2228.jpg  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Before you spend big bucks on one you may want to check the local bylaws for your area - were I live they are not permitted,. But the District seems to turn a blind eye until a neighbour complains about it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i think 1 inch conduit would be good and strong and real inexpensive to buy. can weld up couplers so they can be taken down, then use a heavy silver vinyl tarp and bungies. and i can anchor the whole thing down good with rebar tent pegs.
the plus side is would have one heck of a shelter for summer picnics too
I think I'd go with 1 1/2" tubing at least and anchor it to come concrete in the ground. It is easy to underestimate the force from the wind on that much surface area. Ever open an umbrella in even a light wind?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think I'd go with 1 1/2" tubing at least and anchor it to come concrete in the ground. It is easy to underestimate the force from the wind on that much surface area. Ever open an umbrella in even a light wind?
An easier method of anchoring would duckbill anchors. Also I"m not sure 1 1/2" tubing is strong enough to withstand much a wind load. If you look at the picture of mine you'll see it's has pretty good sized tubing, even though it's rectangular. I had 2 1/2" tubular steel bend in the wind on the fabric cover I used to have.

I would be pretty unhappy if the shelter I put up to protect my trailer failed and it did damage to my trailer. I know my trailer can hand some pretty large wind loads, both front on and side winds.

I believe the wind load was around 40 MPH. The one pictured in a previous post has with stood winds of 60 mph or better. Granted it's pretty sheltered by the house and the fence. The fabric one was in an open area.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I'm thinking about one of those steel carports for our Egg Camper. No permits needed where we live if you don't anchor it with anything other than those long rods.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
The Amish folks around Gladwin sell steel at very good prices.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 76 Honey Neonex Boler
Registry
Besides wind, snow loads can be a problem for these fabric shelters. Especially if it is heavy wet snow.
Karen L W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #11

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
For what its worth, these trailers are commonplace in Montreal, Canada. This is a city which sees large amounts of snow. It is wise to knock the snow off them from time to time, but this is easy to do with a broom. If you watch for a sale, you can buy one for $250 or so.

I suppose one could build their own upgraded-frame tent, but if you are going that far why not build a complete garage? If you have a frame, you can replace your tarp with sheet metal and you have a real garage.

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #12

Name: Mireille
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Quebec
Easy to set up and easy to bring down. Very popular up here in the north. Cheap and efficient enbough. See pic. there.

Abris Tempo - Produits Liste
(sorry it's in french. but I'm sure they have an english version)
Old 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM   #13

Sale on at HF.

Coupon Display
Old 11-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #14

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
what's the door height?
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
what's the door height?

Center height: 9 ft. 3"
Side height: 6 ft. 3"
Overall dimensions: 17 ft. L x 10 ft. W x 9 ft. 3" H

Sometimes people stand the legs on blocks to increase the height.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #16

Registry
I find it interesting how people attempt to protect a $5,000 to $20,000 trailer with a $200 dollar fabric garage.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Cheap Tarp Frame

This is what I use untill I can afford something better.
It withstood Frankinstorm in VA. Looks a little funcky, but works for the shorterm. Six gray plastic conduits, snap together. Six rebarb posts cut in half
drive them into ground and then slip conduits over them. Then rope connect the tops of conduits. Then slip a tarp over the whole thing and stake down on each end.
Attached Thumbnails
CheapFrame.jpg  
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #18

New Brunswick
what size trailer did you put in it.. material sizes?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
what size trailer did you put in it.. material sizes?
If you Google "hoop greenhouse" you will see plans for many similar types. Obviously you'd use a tarp as opposed to clear plastic.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #20

New Brunswick
yes lots of them.. just curious about your trailer height.. Our Scamp is 7'7 and 13 feet..