Shelving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Shelving

Any tips out there to guide me in installing a couple shelves in a 13' Scamp closet? Thanks. Lee
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My Scamp has the wood interior, so drilling holes isn't a problem for me. However, I installed a free standing wirerack system inside the closet. The rods that hold the shelves are tight top to bottom and it doesn't move during travel. I installed the shelves with the lip up, it prevents items from sliding forward. Works well for me
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
Closet shelves

I don't have experience with a Scamp but I recently installed shelves in my Casita closet and I can give you some ideas that might help. First look for places to attach support. In the Casita there is molded in wood bracing for the closet door hinges and for the shower drain valve. I also found a double thickness of fiberglass on the back corner of the Closet/ shower. I used these points to anchor my design. The second tip I can offer is to make your pieces fit the contours of the walls. The compound curves can add strength and support for your shelves. Be careful though when I did mine there were 5 pieces and they will only go in one way. Every time a piece is installed there is less room for the next to be installed.
This closet mod is on of my favorites and well worth the time and effort. It made the closet much more functional. Good luck with yours!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0188.jpg   IMG_0197.jpg  

Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
If you decide to use screws through the side walls of the cabinet, you can use snap cap covers to give them a stock Scamp look so they will look like they are factory installed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I haven't tried it for shelves but you might consider using very high bond strength tape. We used some for the solar panels on the roof of our trailer and they haven't moved.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I used wire shelving and made them so I could move them up and down - glad I did as I have changed them a couple of times since I have put them in to fit new items I want to store in them. Photos of the shelves I did are in my trailer profile.
Here are what I used on the sides to attach the shelve brackets. Attached them by putting a screw with a cap through the rails from the outside of the closet and used a small nut on the end of the screw on the inside of the closet. As Floyd has said a screw with a white cap on it is not something that you will even notice on the outside.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp
Shelving

Thank you to all who responded with your mods, now I am off to Home Depot. Hope to see some of you on the road one day. Lee
russelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
If you're close enough to an Ikea, they have a shelf system that fits exactly in a Boler closet (and I've read mention that it fits in the Scamp closet too) - Ikea has bins that slide in and out (with pre-fit lids). To save weight, I ended up returning the shelf system but kept the bins. Mounted vertical wood runners to the inside of the closet (riveted)... to which I screwed in horizontal bin runners to let the bins slide in/out. Personally I think shelves would hold more, but we opted for bins merely so the kids could pull them in/out and access more.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Do you have any pix? Is this the "closet maid" wire shelf system from Lowes or Home Depot? Did you just wedge in the supporting rods? Did you cut them the length or have the store do it?

Trying to manage my own closet woes, LOL.

Thanks,
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Scamp has the wood interior, so drilling holes isn't a problem for me. However, I installed a free standing wirerack system inside the closet. The rods that hold the shelves are tight top to bottom and it doesn't move during travel. I installed the shelves with the lip up, it prevents items from sliding forward. Works well for me
Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yes Melissa, it is the Closet Maid (or knock-off.. I can't remember). I cut and placed everything. "Have hacksaw will travel." The four shelf support rods are tight, to the closet ceiling and floor. The system does not move at all. The closet is deeper than the shelves are, consequently I have door space that was perfect for more shelves. You can see the door shelves and a tiny bit of the closet mod in this topic: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nce-47394.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks for the pix! Great idea on using the door space! That goes in my "To Do" folder.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I used PVC to make a kind of ladder system that press-fit against the sides of the closet, so no drilling necessary.

Link to my original post.

Good luck!

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #13

Name: Molly
Trailer: scamp 1981
British Columbia
Ikea bins for drawers/shelving

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeP View Post
If you're close enough to an Ikea, they have a shelf system that fits exactly in a Boler closet (and I've read mention that it fits in the Scamp closet too) - Ikea has bins that slide in and out (with pre-fit lids). To save weight, I ended up returning the shelf system but kept the bins. Mounted vertical wood runners to the inside of the closet (riveted)... to which I screwed in horizontal bin runners to let the bins slide in/out. Personally I think shelves would hold more, but we opted for bins merely so the kids could pull them in/out and access more.

I saw your post--and liked the idea of the Ikea bins with railings in the closet. I have a 16' Scamp and am dying to make the closet more practical. Would you have any photos so I can see what you've done? What were the "wood runners"? How is that setup working for you? Deciding between what you've done or a PVC "ladder" with wooden shelves... Thanks for sharing.
molly armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #14

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Here is a picture of our closet system. My wife likes the plastic containers so you can load them up in the house and bring them outside to the trailer as well as remove one or two to get at stuff in the bottom of the closet. The railing is wood and aluminum "L" brackets.

ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #15

Name: Molly
Trailer: scamp 1981
British Columbia
Cool. What a great solution. I love it--and think this is the route we will take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Here is a picture of our closet system. My wife likes the plastic containers so you can load them up in the house and bring them outside to the trailer as well as remove one or two to get at stuff in the bottom of the closet. The railing is wood and aluminum "L" brackets.

I love it! What a great solution! Thanks for posting the photo.
molly armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #16

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
You are welcome! If you need more pictures or details, let me know.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote