Should We Be Draining Water Between Uses? - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-15-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Should We Be Draining Water Between Uses?

I couldn't find much in my search of threads so sorry if it has been beaten forever. We are typically 2-4 weeks between camping trips. I have been draining the fresh water tank after each trip but realize the hot water tank still has water in it. What is considered the best practice between trips?

a) Just drain the fresh water tank
b) Drain both the fresh water tank and water heater
c) Fill the fresh water tank up when getting back to keep minimum air in system
d) Fill fresh water tank and add a sanitizing solution.

And what about sanitizing solution? Anything anyone uses that is easy and effective? Should we be doing this with every fill?

Thanks for either pointing us to a good thread or your help with these questions.

Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
I couldn't find much in my search of threads so sorry if it has been beaten forever. We are typically 2-4 weeks between camping trips. I have been draining the fresh water tank after each trip but realize the hot water tank still has water in it. What is considered the best practice between trips?

And what about sanitizing solution? Anything anyone uses that is easy and effective? Should we be doing this with every fill?

Thanks for either pointing us to a good thread or your help with these questions.
A is all we do unless the trailer will be sitting for over a month then B

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A is all we do unless the trailer will be sitting for over a month then B
This works for me too 😎
Cliff Hotchkiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
If you are not using the fresh water for drinking then you should be okay to leave the system full between trips. I carry separate drinking water in refillable bottles. If you are using the fresh water for drinking you probably should drain the system including the hot water tank to avoid any possibility of bacterial growth. You can flush the system with diluted bleach, at the end of the season, and then drain it completely. A good fresh water flushing at the beginning of the next season should get rid of any remaining bleach residue.
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Kiernan View Post
You can flush the system with diluted bleach, at the end of the season, and then drain it completely.

I don't bother with this step as the municipal water in Vancouver is already chlorinated.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
Unless the place where you are going doesn't have water available, I wouldn't even think of having to "schlog" around a 200 lb. tank full of water if I can use theirs when I get where I'm going. Boon-docking of course changes the game a bit, but then we stay where there are full hook-ups 99.9% of the time. I can't remember the last time I even used the trailer's water tank.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #7

Name: Davie
Trailer: Lite House
Florida
Registry
We're lucky to have really tasty deep well water at our home. I fill the tank in the camper, and another 7 gallon portable tank that travels in the back of the pickup. I use the home water for as long as it lasts. I usually drain both tanks when I get home.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Unless the place where you are going doesn't have water available, I wouldn't even think of having to "schlog" around a 200 lb. tank full of water if I can use theirs when I get where I'm going. Boon-docking of course changes the game a bit, but then we stay where there are full hook-ups 99.9% of the time. I can't remember the last time I even used the trailer's water tank.
Just the opposite here. I commonly camp at stops on a trip with no hookups. I'd rather not be bothered with filling the tank along the way. And if you don't drain the tank, by day two I am schlogging the water on the trip. That plus its convenient on stops on the road to have water for mini-breaks, walking the dog stops, or whatever.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #9

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Should you...???

there are no rules here....just what people tend to do...The vast majority of the time there's no hook-ups where I'm going/staying. I always leave home with a full fresh water tank.

FWIW...I drain the water heater once a year for winter storage (it's a chore! I don't do chores unless I really have to)

If the trailer hasn't moved for a month, yeah, I'll drain the fresh water tank (It's a snap, just twist the valve open in the back yard)

After years of boat ownership (filling the tank here and there and everywhere) I got in the habit of adding 2-3 drops of chlorine (bleach) every other time I top up the tank. It's a practice I still do with the trailer's water tank.

Every month or so I add a splash of bleach to all three drains (kitchen, bath sink, shower). The grey tank collects food reside from the kitchen sink making it a good breeding ground for bacteria....bacteria stinks.

Once or twice a year I add Drano (most expensive stuff on the shelf and the only thing that really works) to all three drains to keep everything running fine. (all three are smaller sizes than your typical house plumbing and prone to "slowing down")

The black tank is the black tank. I use it, dump it and add chemical every time... that's it (no cleaning, hosing, wanding or whatever). At the end of the last trip of the season, I dump... then half fill the tank with fresh water, add a splash of bleach and take the trailer for a "drive" (including swerving and hard brake applications) and dump again.... then I add a gallon or two of fresh with anti-freeze.

Just what I do...never any plumbing problems, never "smelly" water
Franswa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #10

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I drain the water system only for winterizing and never between even if I don't use the trailer for a while. I also always try to keep my tanks full when travelling, as I often end up camping off the grid for a few days.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:07 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
My fresh water tank is always full. If I use a some while camping shortly after I get home I drain ad a bit bleach and fill and drain, then fill through a ceramic with a charcoal core filter. Read to go any time.
I guess I look at things a bit differently than many people. My trailer has it' primary purpose as a camp trailer, not an RV resort trailer. Second purpose is as an escape pod for the when the infrastructure fails.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 AM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post

Like someone else said, there is no one correct way, just depends on your location and concerns of how you use the TT. I don't have to winterize as I'm in the desert. I keep the tank full for emergency use if needed. I installed a deck plate to the top of the fresh tank to make it real easy to clean it if needed....hasn't happened yet. I drain the tank and refill with fresh water before any trip, yes, I run with a full tank but I really only boondock and my SD 17 is TW heavy. Once a year I do a bleach rinse. I have never drained the water heater and have never heard of any of my camping buds of over 30 years ever doing that either nor having any problems because of it...maybe we've been lucky . Bottom line Dave, whatever you decide to do that makes you comfortable is the correct way to go.
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:24 AM   #13

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
My fresh water tank is always full. If I use a some while camping shortly after I get home I drain ad a bit bleach and fill and drain, then fill through a ceramic with a charcoal core filter. Read to go any time.
I guess I look at things a bit differently than many people. My trailer has it' primary purpose as a camp trailer, not an RV resort trailer. Second purpose is as an escape pod for the when the infrastructure fails.
I keep mine ready to go as well. I live by railroads, woods, highways. If I got notice to leave at any time, for any reason, I have supplies for me and all the animals. Hook up, grab the kids and Im gone. Same if the house becomes uninhabitable for any reason, I have what we need to get by a while.
Kevin PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #14

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Registry
Most of the time I drain everything. Just a matter of opening a valve for each the fresh water and hot water tanks. We usually fill up once we are at the CG if it's a non service site.
While travelling I usually keep a minimal amount of water in the fresh water tank for use like flushing the toilet.
Both my tanks are at the back of the trailer and I don't want to carry the weight of full tanks behind my axle.

Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote