Shower Side Bathroom Door? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Thumbs up

We have been wanting to do something to the shower side door of the bathroom in our Scamp. The brown finish from the factory is a flat, dull, lifeless, drab color and seems as if it would not be very good of shedding water if splashed, nor be very good at keeping the damp from the shower from soaking into the material. It seems like it would be good at absorbing mosture like a sponge.

My wife was thinking we should cover it with a marine varnish, I was thinking maybe a good enamel paint would work? Has anyone out there painted their bathroom door, did you use varnish or enamel paint? What should work better at keeping the moisture out of the door material?
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
It seems like it would be good at absorbing mosture like a sponge.
I don't know anything about painting the bathroom door, but I can tell you the door does absorb water. It absorbs water to the extent that it changes shape and has difficulty latching in humid weather.

Has anyone else painted / varnished the bathroom door?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Registry
Interesting discussion... my Trillium has a vinyl-covered door and I think it'd be just fine with a bit of water if we wiped it off. What's really nice is the curved metal rack just inside three walls, including the door that allows me to put up a cheap plastic shower liner that prevents water from hitting the door. If you paint your door a spiffy color, you might consider this kind of option to keep it looking nice. Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
I second Helen's motion! Our Casita came with a shower curtain to completely cover the entire door area including the bath towel on it's rack on the inside of the door.
Since your door is apparently already painted, I don't see any advantage to using varnish. Make it any color that suites your fancy!
Have fun and enjoy your creativity!
Ann & Kurt K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've seen a side-bath Scamp with a piece of Formica glued to the door. And, the shower curtain should completely cover the door. Then no problems with water!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
My 1999 Burro 17 has a glass shower door-no problems.
Gail T.
gail todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
i would also suggest putting formica on the door... I personally dont like a shower curtain .. only because it cant be dryed off to well and will mildew.. i use a squeegy on my walls after i get done with my shower... and wipe it dry and must as i can....
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #8

Red face

Quote:
I second Helen's motion! Our Casita came with a shower curtain to completely cover the entire door area including the bath towel on it's rack on the inside of the door.
Since your door is apparently already painted, I don't see any advantage to using varnish. Make it any color that suites your fancy!
Have fun and enjoy your creativity!
Ann & Kurt K.
No, it is not already painted, it has what seems to be a stain on the wood. They came with a curtain which keeps the shower from splashing the door and we use it to do so. However, often times after using the shower it is damp and humid in the bathroom for some time. We are wanting to keep the wood from absorbing moisture. We have added a second shower curtain to keep the "head" (toilet), the floor and walls behind it dry. I agree with Christi V. about not liking a shower curtain(s), but can not see how not using them would work for us.

Some on another Forum suggested Thompson Water Seal. I still not sure between a good coat of enamel paint of a marine varnish or a water seal. I am still thinking of painting. The "a piece of Formica glued to the door" should also work, but perhaps with more work involved and tweeking of the door to compensate for the thickness of the formica to keep it latching after closing. I am not a good tweeker.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2001 4wd 6cyl Silverado
Hi I bought a 94 fifth wheel about 6 years ago and the previous owner had painted the inside of the shower door with imron by dupont, paint , I believe it is a single stage paint with activator. he did a great job Paul
Paul and Libby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
I'm planning on replacing the shower door with something completely different, something that allows ventilation into the bathroom so our towels, which will hang inside the door, can dry out and the bathroom say warm with the rest of the trailer on colder nights. The new door will resemble a panel-style door, with punched aluminum panels, a center spoke made from a curvy Ikea mirror cut to the correct height by a local glass shop, and wood stained to match the cabinets I made for the loft.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom_Door_Design.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	12007
(Not to proportion)

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #11

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
My first instinct would be to use polyurethane - a minimum of 4 coats or so. The first one only seals pores in the wood - you don't really start getting coverage till the second coat. I've had very good luck using polyurethane to repel water at home (coffee tables and such).

Second line of defense would be similar to the formica suggestion - but I'd lean toward using a piece of FRP (sold in 4x8 panels at big box hardware stores). It's made for commercial bathroom walls and the interior walls of walk-in fridges and freezers. I wouldn't cover the WHOLE door, but only the part that's inside the jam - so you don't have to rehang the door. Trimmed out (again - hardware store) it looks pretty nice. It's the same stuff I used to essentially rebuild the side closet of the Boler we had. It came with a HUGE hole bashed into the side of it so I sheathed it in FRP. Looked great.

Mike
Watters
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
My husband builds wooden boats so we are familiar with wet wood. Do you have access to a marine supply store? Get something called "West System" epoxy. Very easy to use and will waterproof your door. If you warm up the door with a hair dryer or hear gun before using the epoxy, it will penetrate the wood to a deeper degree. It goes on with a brush or foam roller. You can then paint over the epoxy to your color choice and add an extra barrier to the water. Personally varnish looks nice, but fails faster than paint in the long run. You can get paints with mildewcide in them now which will help in the bathroom. Get some latex gloves because epoxy can be a bit messy and not good for the skin. Ventilate well too. Our boats don't leak with epoxy coatings on them.
Jane P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:42 AM   #13

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
From another Burro owner... have you considered installing a frosted glass door?

When I got my 17, I didn't think much about it other than. "Oh, a glass door. That's nice." (yawn) but I have learned that it is a tremendous asset, not only for what you intend, but in letting more light into the rig during the day!

With a side bath, the only light that gets into the center area of the rig is limited.. the small kitchen window and the roof vent, but the light that hits the glass door from the bathroom roof vent really brightens it up! The frost acts as an amplifier. At nite, leaving the bathroom light on (When there are hook ups, of course) casts a nice ambient glow and it is very pleasant.

I am sure a bathroom supply place has a skinny one that might fit, and with glass, you would never have to worry about rot again.

I DO use a shower curtain, just so I don't have to clean the glass after every shower. It is easy to install and consumes only seconds of time to pull over. It gets pushed aside like any other curtain and lives behind the toilet when not in use. Doesn't get in the way at all.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Any good custom glass shop can make a shower door to any size you want.....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If this is a side bath Scamp, the bathroom is directly across from the door. Might make for interesting campground conversation if someone should open the outside door while someone is sitting on the throne (with the light on) frosted glass or not... even more interesting if someone is taking a shower!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
you can't see into mine. Frustrates the dogs.. "Hey, What ya doin' in there????"

A shower curtain does the trick too.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:17 AM   #17

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
I'm planning on replacing the shower door with something completely different, something that allows ventilation into the bathroom so our towels, which will hang inside the door, can dry out and the bathroom say warm with the rest of the trailer on colder nights. The new door will resemble a panel-style door, with punched aluminum panels, a center spoke made from a curvy Ikea mirror cut to the correct height by a local glass shop, and wood stained to match the cabinets I made for the loft.

Attachment 12007
(Not to proportion)

--Peter

That ought to be pretty darned cool. If I built it, the mirror would face away from the shower to prevent those saddening moments of self-awareness....
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #18

It is the front bath, but if the trailer door is open, one can see into the bathroom somewhat. We decided on painting the door, acrylic latex gloss enamel, white. My wife did the painting and after four coats it looks very well and I am sure it will do what we need it to do. It does not really get wet, wet, just dampness from the "steam" from the shower, the humitidy and maybe a wet hand print now and again. We like the lightness it gives instead of the drab brown. We use two sets of curtains, one to keep the door dry, which came with the Scamp and a second one to keep the toilet and floor around it dry. for all the suggestions! You gave some really good ones and some really neat ideas.
AW