Small heaters for small RVs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #15
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Has anyone tried one of these in a small 13' camper?

Econo-Heat 0603 E-Heater, White -

I *think* this panel heater is small enough to mount on the side of the closet. I *think* the cushions are 24" and the closet is the same depth. It's too dark and cold for me to go measure right now.

Anyways, at 400 watts would this thing have enough power to maintain a nice temp? I wouldn't expect it to heat up a cold trailer quickly.

Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #16
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Am electric blanket would work.

Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #17
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Several people have commented that a 60 watt heat tube would not be sufficient to keep your trailer warm, and I agree.

I have heard a couple campers here in the American northwest, which has a similar climate, mention they've had good luck with 500-700w oil-filled radiators like this one.

Lynne and I have used four types of heaters and an electric blanket at different times. One is a built-in propane furnace for times when we don't have electrical hookups, another a "cube heater" for times that we do. We also have a Wave 3 catalytic heater that uses propane and no electricity, but which requires a certain amount of care when in use.

We've also had good luck with "Buddy" heaters from Mr Heater. They don't work well on mountains over 5000'/1800m high, but since mountains that high are rare in the UK, that shouldn't be a problem for you. The nice thing about the Buddy heaters is, unlike the Wave 3 heater, they have oxygen depletion sensors that prevent them from sucking all the oxygen out of the air in your trailer, so they are safer to use.

Best of luck to you.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #18
Name: BigAl
Trailer: Freedom
Thanks guys n gals for your suggestions, or as the internet generation would call it 'crowd sourcing ideas' :P I prefer the phrase asking for help. I asked and you delivered!

It is clear the ambient heater is a no go.

I would prefer to go electric for heat. There have been a number of Carbon Monoxide deaths here in recent years. I don't like the idea of exposing my beloved to even a small risk of that and devolving her health to the build quality of a CO detector or vent stay.

I will double layer insulate the trailer. We will use hot water bottles and a heated blanket (60w).

For when it gets really cold, we will carry one of these 0.45Kw oil filled radiators (see below) and retreat to a site with a hook up.

Using the teardrop trailer our trips were exclusively boondocking weekend trips. Now that we have such a 'big' trailer maybe we can keep the boondocking to when it is less cold (and we need less heat) and during the winter use campsites with a hook up.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #19
Name: Steve and Rosemary
Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft side toilet
Originally Posted by peterh View Post

The nice thing about the Buddy heaters is, unlike the Wave 3 heater, they have oxygen depletion sensors that prevent them from sucking all the oxygen out of the air in your trailer, so they are safer to use.

Best of luck to you.
Yes! I forgot to mention that we crack windows while the heater is on and we have an oxygen alarm that we test regularly. It's very important to do so with these heaters. Thanks for the reminder.
SERENITY 1989 Scamp 16' Side Toilet | Steve, Rosemary, Maude Pod & Tripawd Hope | Next trip: The Weber for some fishing
Moab Maiden Voyage 03/10 * The Swell 5/26/11 * Antelope Island 12/31/11 * Strawberry Res 6/12 * Whitney Res 6/14 * Uintahs 07/15
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #20
Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Coachman
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I use the Mr. Buddy. Puts out plenty of heat.

“I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote