Small heaters for small RVs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Name: BigAl
Trailer: Freedom
Scotland
Small heaters for small RVs

I have a teeny tiny Captain RV, and I would like to have a fairly minimal setup in terms of gadgets.

Currently my RV has no heating and we would probably like a bit of heat as one of our minimalist gadgets. I intend fully fitting the Rv with spaceblanket bubblewrap insulation.

I am wondering if a small ambient tube heater of only 60w would be up to the job when the night-time temperatures drop to 0 Centigrade/32 Fahrenheit?

As I mainly wild camp and have no real chance of a hook up. I would power this by either my 400w petrol generator or a 12v leisure battery with an AC inverter.

Am I bonkers?

Cheers, BigAl.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
If your using a generator why not just have a small ele heater? I would always have a back up, just in case!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
When you say teeny, how teeny are we talking? We have a propane heater for ours and I LOVE it. It is very small but kicks out a ton of heat. So much so that we have to be careful not to leave it on too high or I wake up in the middle of the night miserable.

Are you crazy? Probably not, and you should try the tube thing first. Once you get a more substantial heater, you'll never want to go back.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think a propane heater would be the best bet. If you ever stay in a campground your generator can't be used between 10pm and 6am in most places and sometimes even less. Propane heaters can be used anytime.
I have a small propane furnace in my Scamp and it kept us warm in 5°F weather.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
When you say teeny, how teeny are we talking?
Internally its 10 foot long by 6.4 wide and 6 high
Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Well, the product you linked to appears to be an electric radiant heater. Your trailer is about the same size as a 13' Scamp or Casita. Nearly all the electric heaters sold on this side of the pond are 1500W. (The cube heater with fan is the most popular style, but I use a radiant heater myself because I like the silence.) At 32*F outside, to maintain an already warm trailer, I would take a guess and say that our electric heaters would be running at somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2, assuming they have a temp control. 1/4 of 1500W is 375W. So I would be inclined to think that a 60W heater may have trouble keeping up. That's just a guess based on a little bit of experience; others may have more info.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I agree, you will be trying to heat your trailer with a toaster. Invest in a propane heater or hook up and use a 1500 watt heater.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:46 PM   #8

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
You can get a Mr. Buddy propane heater from Wal-Mart for $89.99 or the Big Buddy heater which uses two propane cylinders and has a built in fan for $119.00.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
which propane heater do you use?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #10

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
I would like to have a fairly minimal setup in terms of gadgets.

Currently my RV has no heating and we would probably like a bit of heat as one of our minimalist gadgets. I intend fully fitting the Rv with spaceblanket bubblewrap insulation.

I am wondering if a small ambient tube heater of only 60w would be up to the job when the night-time temperatures drop to 0 Centigrade/32 Fahrenheit?

As I mainly wild camp and have no real chance of a hook up. I would power this by either my 400w petrol generator or a 12v leisure battery with an AC inverter.

Am I bonkers?
1. Here in the United States your "Spaceblanket" is called "Reflectix". Many trailer manufacturers here use a double layer of it between the fiberglass body and the fabric wall "upholstery". The majority of our external walls are not as straight and flat as the Captain caravan's are; thus upholstery instead of panel. I do recommend a double layer.

2. Is that heater of the oil filled type? That could be more efficient than just an electric element in the air, but not knowing the particulars of your 240 volt electric service, I cannot make an intelligent recommendation. We use 110 volt alternating current when a source is available; Shawn and Mike mentioned the versions of electric heaters we have. 60 watts would be inadequate for the temperature exposure you mention.

3. "Wild" camping (we call it "boondocking" here) limits availability of power... Most people choose wild camping to get away from annoyances; a petrol generator is considered very annoying to others within earshot. Heating (and cooling) are power gluttons, and a leisure battery/inverter system would leave you in the situation of Oliver Twist very quickly.; like within mere hours. Others have recommended propane fueled catalytic heaters (with proper ventilation) for the most comfort with the longest stamina.

4. Bonkers? No. Innocent is more accurate. That's why you're here. To loose that innocence in a dignified manner.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hey Al.....

In summary, a 60 watt heater wouldn't keep a pi$$=ants 13 inch RV warm in freezing weather. Also look at the Coleman LP tent heaters, but you will have to open a vent a little bit. They are less than 30USD over here.

BTW: 60W = 60W, regardless of voltage.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #12

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ive seen heaters similar to that 60 watt one used in boats during the winter to keep a bilge from freezing or in cabinets to cut down on moisture. It wouldnt really help at all in keeping a caravan warm.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Big Al, many of us have built in propane heaters in our trailers but some use the small Mr. Buddy Heaters - one of them is pretty small and called a Little Buddy that takes small disposable gas canisters. None are great for using when sleeping as they need a good deal of ventilation to operate safely - good for warming up the camper before bed or in the morning.

Not sure you will find the Mr. Buddy heaters in the UK but I suspect an outdoor store would carry something similar. And if history repeats itself probable a lot nicer looking and more efficient..... some of us ogle over the European products you have but we cant/dont have. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #14

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Well, the product you linked to appears to be an electric radiant heater. Your trailer is about the same size as a 13' Scamp or Casita. Nearly all the electric heaters sold on this side of the pond are 1500W. (The cube heater with fan is the most popular style, but I use a radiant heater myself because I like the silence.) At 32*F outside, to maintain an already warm trailer, I would take a guess and say that our electric heaters would be running at somewhere around 1/4 to 1/2, assuming they have a temp control. 1/4 of 1500W is 375W. So I would be inclined to think that a 60W heater may have trouble keeping up. That's just a guess based on a little bit of experience; others may have more info.
The little electric heaters have two elements, an 800 and a 700. The 800 runs for the low setting, and the 700 is added to bring it up to 1500w (high). 800w or 1500W are the only choices.

BTW in my 16' scamp, when it was down to 33 the other night, the 800w setting was staying on but keeping the place warm.

Just as an aside, I also have a tent permanently set up next to my Scamp. In that I keep my computer table with dual monitors, keyboard / mouse and other stuff. Today I bought a second ceramic block heater for the tent and it keeps it quite toasty. So much so that all the critters congregate for the warmth. Even a couple of lizards. (on the outside). One benefit of free electricity from the state park.

And yes, I turn it off when I am not in the tent and the cold does not damage any of the electronics.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #15

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13'
Iowa
Has anyone tried one of these in a small 13' camper?

Econo-Heat 0603 E-Heater, White - Amazon.com

I *think* this panel heater is small enough to mount on the side of the closet. I *think* the cushions are 24" and the closet is the same depth. It's too dark and cold for me to go measure right now.

Anyways, at 400 watts would this thing have enough power to maintain a nice temp? I wouldn't expect it to heat up a cold trailer quickly.
Joe M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #16

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Am electric blanket would work.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #17

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Several people have commented that a 60 watt heat tube would not be sufficient to keep your trailer warm, and I agree.

I have heard a couple campers here in the American northwest, which has a similar climate, mention they've had good luck with 500-700w oil-filled radiators like this one.

Lynne and I have used four types of heaters and an electric blanket at different times. One is a built-in propane furnace for times when we don't have electrical hookups, another a "cube heater" for times that we do. We also have a Wave 3 catalytic heater that uses propane and no electricity, but which requires a certain amount of care when in use.

We've also had good luck with "Buddy" heaters from Mr Heater. They don't work well on mountains over 5000'/1800m high, but since mountains that high are rare in the UK, that shouldn't be a problem for you. The nice thing about the Buddy heaters is, unlike the Wave 3 heater, they have oxygen depletion sensors that prevent them from sucking all the oxygen out of the air in your trailer, so they are safer to use.

Best of luck to you.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #18

Scotland
Thanks guys n gals for your suggestions, or as the internet generation would call it 'crowd sourcing ideas' :P I prefer the phrase asking for help. I asked and you delivered!

It is clear the ambient heater is a no go.

I would prefer to go electric for heat. There have been a number of Carbon Monoxide deaths here in recent years. I don't like the idea of exposing my beloved to even a small risk of that and devolving her health to the build quality of a CO detector or vent stay.

I will double layer insulate the trailer. We will use hot water bottles and a heated blanket (60w).

For when it gets really cold, we will carry one of these 0.45Kw oil filled radiators (see below) and retreat to a site with a hook up.

Using the teardrop trailer our trips were exclusively boondocking weekend trips. Now that we have such a 'big' trailer maybe we can keep the boondocking to when it is less cold (and we need less heat) and during the winter use campsites with a hook up.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post

The nice thing about the Buddy heaters is, unlike the Wave 3 heater, they have oxygen depletion sensors that prevent them from sucking all the oxygen out of the air in your trailer, so they are safer to use.

Best of luck to you.
Yes! I forgot to mention that we crack windows while the heater is on and we have an oxygen alarm that we test regularly. It's very important to do so with these heaters. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #20

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I use the Mr. Buddy. Puts out plenty of heat.