Small rotted section of floor in scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Small rotted section of floor in scamp

I have a 1979 13' Scamp, with what appears to be a great floor with no water damage...except I found a tiny bit when poking beind the fridge. It is less than 6"x6" in size, right in the corner next to the wheel well behind he fridge.

I'm thinking a plumbing leak is the most likely cause? It could the fridge have caused it?

Anyway, how should I best remedy this? Can/should I use wood hardener (I've used it on many an old house part in restoration), cut out and patch, or what?
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
rot under water tank

I have some ideas on repairing this but would love some input from someone with experience.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images

cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:54 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
I have a 1979 13' Scamp, with what appears to be a great floor with no water damage...except I found a tiny bit when poking beind the fridge. It is less than 6"x6" in size, right in the corner next to the wheel well behind he fridge.

I'm thinking a plumbing leak is the most likely cause? It could the fridge have caused it?

Anyway, how should I best remedy this? Can/should I use wood hardener (I've used it on many an old house part in restoration), cut out and patch, or what?

If it was me I would use the hardener as this is a very small area, is not structural and doesn't get walked on.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
That's what I'm thinking, too.

Now, any ideas on how to track down the exact source of the leak causing the issue? Could be the venting for the fridge needs revealed, too, right?
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp
Iowa
Had similar problem and used a rotted wood repair kit from home depot. First scraped out all rotted wood which made hole much larger, then treated it with liquid hardener from kit. I also screwed a larger than hole size patch from underneath trailer then applied the putty like epoxy patch to fill hole and smoothed it even with surface. After it dried painted area with a primer and no new problems after 2 years, can't even tell there was a repair from above. One more step to consider is treating whole area that was wet with bleach or better yet something meant to kill all mold before you start.
jjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp