Smaller Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2003, 02:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Smaller Trailer

We are going to get a smaller Trailer and want to know if any one has done a comparison on the SCAMP, Casita, and The Burro.
If so what was the difference and which is considered the best for towing.We will be using a Ford Explorer v6

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 03:22 PM   #2

This question comes up frequently. You'll find that we all love whatever we've got, and are pretty impressed with what the others have. The differences between the three are pretty much preference as regarding quality (late model Burro excepted, where they had some problems, as I understand it). Any of them should last a lifetime if taken care of. They vary somewhat in construction. Scamp is a fiberglass top shell with a wood floor deck. Casita is a full fiberglass shell, with a wood deck inserted onto the fiberglass floor pan. These two are single wall construction, finished in Insulite or carpet, depending on the age of it. Burro is double wall constructed, so you have a glossy finished interior surface. It is somewhat stark but offers some real advantages, too.

Due to these construction differences, Scamp comes in the lightest, Casita slightly more weight due to the fiberglass floor pan, and the Burro is the heaviest, due to the double wall design.

Generally speaking, we suggest buying whichever ones you like best. If you are in the south, you'll find Casitas but not too many Scamps. The opposite is true if you are in the north.

I didn't ask if you plan to buy new or used. If new, DON'T give Burro any money until they deliver you a finished trailer. They are essentially out of business, but nobody seems to have told the sales department. As for Casita and Scamp, both seem great to work with.

If you are buying used, both Scamp and Casita spawned from Boler, along with many other brands -- Eco, LoveBug, Acorn, and numerous others. Don't forget to include those in your search.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:40 PM   #3

Very well covered, Paul.
I could add there is a size difference in these trailers.
Casita's 13 and 16foot is shorter inside then the others, but most hardly notice the difference. They all offer full bathes but are hard to find in secondhand 13's. Burro is also wider by 6 inches to a foot. depending on year. and is around 6'2" high inside.

Don't forget to check Canada for trailers, they have some nice ones.

Old 05-22-2003, 04:32 PM   #4

Well said, Paul

Very well said, Paul.

That about sums it up.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick

Just for the record - they are making them again.

http://www.trilliumtrailers.com/
I went *inside* one today!!!! It was pretty neat. They seem to have a lot more headroom than my Boler. They're great for someone looking for a new lightweight - this one said 1395 lbs (13'er), so probably similar to the original Trillium weight. (For the record - I still prefer my Boler, the counter height in the new one is quite low)

....speaking of hijacking a thread....sorry, just had to report on it. :)

Old 08-03-2003, 12:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Orginally posted by Lainey

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Orginally posted by Rick

Just for the record - they are making them again.

http://www.trilliumtrailers.com/
I went *inside* one today!!!! It was pretty neat. They seem to have a lot more headroom than my Boler. They're great for someone looking for a new lightweight - this one said 1395 lbs (13'er), so probably similar to the original Trillium weight. (For the record - I still prefer my Boler, the counter height in the new one is quite low)

....speaking of hijacking a thread....sorry, just had to report on it. :) [/quote]

I was in a *new* Trillium in Feb of this year at the Early Bird Rv Show in Abbotsford. I liked them. :) If you want a small trailer - check them out.

Old 08-03-2003, 05:27 AM   #7

i agree with rick

His big foot is better then my trillium. hehe but mine is easyer to park in a small spot LOL
:cheers

Old 08-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Orginally posted by Al V

His big foot is better then my trillium. hehe but mine is easyer to park in a small spot LOL
:cheers
I don't know, Al, Rick can back pretty good. we might have to have a contest. but Suz would probably beat you both. :lol I decline to enter as we wouldn't have all week.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:10 PM   #9

but i cheat

i use a dolly under the tounge of the trailer and can push it around .
so i have been it to some tight spaces lol :cheers

Old 08-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #10

Whats with this backing up and pushing around by hand.Just so you all know i just rent pull throughs.It solves the problem.:laugh :laugh :laugh

Old 08-04-2003, 12:52 PM   #11

<<virtually no support for either>>

Ron - FWIW, I personally feel that a list like you suggested would be hugely valuable to folks trying to make up their minds. However, human nature being what it is, the "one-upmanship" is bound to creep in, and it is so critical that we avoid that on this board. Also, while these trailers haven't changed a lot over the years, they have changed some, and maintaining a list of features pertinent to all the available model years would be a daunting task.

But, again, I know that IF such a list existed, it would have been very useful to me as I was shopping. I just hate buying something and then finding out something more suitable was available. Thanks (seriously!) for your offer, and don't be offended that it isn't accepted at this site. By the way, if you went ahead and made up such a chart on your own, and posted it on your personal website, I'd be willing to bet you'd get a lot of hits, and most of them would be from people on this forum! Hypocrisy? Nah, just protecting the mission of fiberglassrv.com.