Snow chains.. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: What traction do you prefer?
Wouldn't be caught in the snow without 4wd. 7 23.33%
Chains don't bother me, I have 2wd and chains 7 23.33%
I have never used chains on any car in the snow. 12 40.00%
I have 4wd, but put chains on all wheels and all the way around the body of the car. 1 3.33%
4wd drive means I can do 70 in the snow without crashing. 1 3.33%
I have studded tires, yer all insane! 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
Quote:
Ah, yes... beautiful Bakersfield. I remember spending a week there one night....
Ah, yes, I can relate. [b]BUT, for readers of the FGRV forum only, I will share with you a closely guarded secret camp spot, not far from Bakersfield: Buena Vista (or Webb) Lake. You'd probably only want to go there in the winter, when the rates and temperatures are much lower. Hook ups, on the lake, wake up with the mist rising off the water ... really very pretty and totally non-Bakersfield. Since this is off topic I'll stop here: Buena Vista. Just don't tell anybody

Re: 4WD: I often use 4WD on hilly, twisty gravel roads, not because I'm likely to get stuck but because it reduces wheel spin and tire wear. On the very few occasions I am in sand, yes, I can often go quite a ways before I bog down. But if the "bog" is a batch of really fluffy sand and the "down" part is axle deep, it might be a tad late to go 4WD. And I don't have a winch...
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #22

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Dan,

Minnesota may be snow country but its flat. When you go off the road you're in someone's field. In the mountains when you go off the road you go down for miles. And I think that might hurt a lot.
I remember leaving Yellowstone from the East entrance and looking down and thinking I was glad it was July. ( still had snow over 7500 ft though.) That was the scariest piece of skinny road I was ever on.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:07 PM   #23

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Pjanits said:
"Minnesota may be snow country but its flat...."

Parts of Minnesota are table flat; however there are a surprising number of large hills, usually near river valleys, but also in towns like Saint Paul and Duluth. There are no drop offs where you will starve to death before hitting bottom (like in Colorado), but the hills can be tricky when slippery none the less.

When the going gets really tough around here (for example, the blizzard tonight in northwestern Minnesota) some of the main roads (I-94 and MN 210) are closed to all traffic, chains or not.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:36 AM   #24

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Re: 4WD: I can often go quite a ways before I bog down. But if the "bog" is a batch of really fluffy sand and the "down" part is axle deep, it might be a tad late to go 4WD. And I don't have a winch...

Yes, yes, Bill... you're right on. I recall some wise old sage once told me (as he was tooling around the desert in his 2wd '67 Ford pickup) "the only thing 4WD does for you is makes the places you get stuck really expensive for the tow trucks to tow you out."

I've never forgotten that!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #25

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...some wise old sage once told me (as he was tooling around the desert in his 2wd '67 Ford pickup)...
A friend of mine used to tour the forestry roads of interior British Columbia in his (rear wheel drive) Datsun 510. He enjoyed watching the 4x4 trucks get stuck on the same roads that he drove through; the difference was that he chose his path wisely, while the truck "drivers" tried to blast through randomly. A good brain behind the wheel beats horsepower and 4WD hardware every time. Surely, the same applies with a trailer attached to the back.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:02 PM   #26

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
If I was a "Dirt Eater", the name the forest service gives the Jeeps and Broncos and motorcyles that go on the nasty dirt roads up here, I would certainly like a 4wd. There are many Mountain roads here that go way back in the wilderness that I will never see unless I go with someone else set up for off road travel.

My neighbor has a 4wd jeep set up for just this (And I had to teach him to chain up here once because he got stuck in his snowy driveway) and I am sure it does great in the dirt and ruts and all that. It sits high, it is made for crawling with power on nasty raods. BUT, he doesn't race on them, he drives on them. He too sees guys stuck when they could have gone slow on what looks like a seemingly obvious safer route, but they barreled through the "easy" way.

But this poll is about snow travel, a completely different beast. Look at Donnas video she posted with the snow kids today... ya gotta be smarter than the machine and know how to use it, and when it is useLESS.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:46 PM   #27

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Snooping for my route up to Oregon, I came across this little bit of info

http://167.131.0.179/Pages/RCMap.asp?mainN...icNav=ChainLaws

Basically, it says you HAVE to chain up trailers if they have brakes under most chain up conditions.

I wonder if they make em as small as mine?

Nah.. Thats the time to go for coffee, I think.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:07 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Basically, it says you HAVE to chain up trailers if they have brakes under most chain up conditions.

I wonder if they make em as small as mine?

Nah.. Thats the time to go for coffee, I think.
Great that you're planning ahead Gina. ODOT closed the Siskiyou Pass for about 12 hours ...hummmm a week ago or so for about 12 hours.

See you in a couple of weeks!!

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote