snow load on roofs - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 PM   #41
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Broughton View Post

Just trying to save a owner form some springtime grief, his trailer had full sunlight from the south and as the snow melts the load gets heavier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Snow usually does become much heavier as it melts. As it melts the moisture content can/will increase thus making it much heavier even though it may look like less volume.
There is no increase in moisture as the snow compacts. While the amount of moisture per unit volume changes (increased density), the mass does not. The number of molecules is the same, they simply get closer together. Again F= mA. If the mass doesn't change and the acceleration due to gravity doesn't change, then the weight doesn't change.

If you have a kitchen or postal scale, weigh a container of snow. Let it melt and weigh it again. The puddle will weigh the same. Raz
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I reread the writes and I read the rewrites. This has led me to believe that we're all on the same roof, something that wasn't clear to me initially. I found Carol's #39 a prize winner for clarity. I apologize to Francesca and Carol for mistaking the content of their argument for that of whichever yahoo (you know who you are) introduced us to the amazing alchemical snow. Can I send you a nice bottle of Cupcake to say I'm sorry?

jack
Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 PM   #43

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
No Cupcake for you, Pete! Complete understanding and impeccable expression are their own rewards!

jack
Old 02-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #44

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
LOL - clearly I haven't done well at making what was my original intent of commenting on the topic of snow loads on roofs of fiberglass trailers.

My last attempt - promise! The weight and density of any cubic foot of snow is not consistent!

Still wrong. The statement "The weight and density of any given cubic foot of snow" contains three parameters that are measured, as is. If any of those parameters change, it is no longer the same "given" cubic foot of snow and must be measured again.

I think what you mean to say is that a first foot of snow can be compacted by additional dustings, and that as winter wears on what may look like the same "foot" has likely increased in both weight and density. This due to the introduction of more water, which remains the only way that weight can increase.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #45

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Bottom line being no one can say oh there is only a foot of snow on my trailer and it was fine with that last year and believe it will be the same this year as the weight of a foot of snow and thus the total load on the roof can vary greatly. Simple as that.
Click image for larger version

Name:	eureka_1_.gif
Views:	13
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	68268

I think I finally see your point!

Spanke
Old 02-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #46

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Can I send you a nice bottle of Cupcake to say I'm sorry?

jack
LOL right or wrong Jack I would be happy to share a bottle of Cupcake with you!
Old 02-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Still wrong. The statement "The weight and density of any given cubic foot of snow" contains three parameters that are measured, as is. I
My bad Francesca I should have used a term a square foot. Duly noted and corrected.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #48

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Still wrong. The statement "The weight and density of any given cubic foot of snow" contains three parameters that are measured, as is.
Quote:
My bad Francesca I should have used a term a square foot. Duly noted and corrected.
Now you're just messin' with my head...or attempting the well-nigh impossible, that is, to shut me the H-E-double-pitchforks up.

I must admit that "correcting" the wrong error is a truly brilliant application of Absurd Logic, against which technique there is no defense.

I surrender!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:53 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Methinks this discussion has run its course, with nothing left to be gained. Therefore, I will be closing it. Even though I fully understand the principle of the discussion, it still made my head hurt reading it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Closed Thread