So what kind of buffer do you use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
So what kind of buffer do you use?

Hello Folks!

Well last year I went with one of those rv soaps with wax in it....would make my ParkLiner shiny for a few days but this year Im going the whole wax/polish route.

What kind of buffers are you folks using? Ive seen the cheap ones for sale at walmart to random orbital high priced buffers. Trying to get an idea of what I should pick up.

thanks

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #2

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
The #1 best seller at Amazon is..
Porter-Cable 7424XP 6 inch variable.
Check out the 163 reviews.
$118 shipped.

I was thinking about buying this one.
Anybody own it?
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
this one? Amazon.com: PORTER-CABLE 7424XP 6-Inch Variable-Speed Polisher: Home Improvement

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thats looks like what I use - picked it up still in the box at a second hand store for under $50. I use the wool pads when doing my trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Thats what I use but instead of foam pad I use synthetic wool pads with a velcro pad on the buffer. With the velcro pad you can buy 2 tops or more and use one to spread the polish on and when dried strip off the top pad and swap on a new one to polish it off. Then do the same for wax one for spreading wax and another to buff it off. With the velcro pad this is very easy to do. Keep the boxes that the pads come in and mark them for the product you used it for so you dont use a polishing pad for a waxing job. The Porter Cable pads are washable. It does take a bit of scrubbing with dish soap to get them clean though.
This is an excelent machine as is most of Porter Cable products.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
In the past , I've used a Milwaukee buffer. Tough as nails but extremely heavy. Porter Cable makes excellent products . I would check the weight of the tool. I would not get another Milwaukee because it's so heavy.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
The Porter Cable pads are washable. It does take a bit of scrubbing with dish soap to get them clean though.
A trick to clean up the wool pads that a friend who works in an auto body repair shop taught me was to let the pad dry and then let the pad spin on the buffer & lightly touch it with the screw driver. A lot of the dried wax or compound on it will blow off of it, making it nice and pluffy again without washing it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A trick to clean up the wool pads that a friend who works in an auto body repair shop taught me was to let the pad dry and then let the pad spin on the buffer & lightly touch it with the screw driver. A lot of the dried wax or compound on it will blow off of it, making it nice and pluffy again without washing it.
Works for a while, removing the heavy buildup. Once a month or so we used to gather all the buffing pads and take them to the laundromat. It also rounds off your screwdrivers, so use a junk one.

After burning out my 40 year old 10" buffer, I went with a Flex XC3401 and Maguiar's foam pads except for heavy compounding. Less swirl marks with the foam but you need an assortment for the different materials used.