So, Where's Your Black Water Tank Located? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Trillium 5500 had black tank underneath the toilet, below the floor, (middle of trailer roughly), and the fresh water was under the trailer to the rear of the axle.
They didn't come with a grey tank, but I added one to mine in front of the black tank.
Personally, I would sooner deal with the black tank once or twice per trip, than using a porta-pottie
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I'm with you Joe, dumping a black tank is something I also would much rather do than having to clean out a porta-pottie.

If you have a grey water tank you are going to have to take the trailer to a sani-station to dump it out and pull the hose out anyway. On the Scamp the hose does need to be moved between the black water and grey tank levers but its the exception - I seem to recall on most of the others the hose only has to be connected once so its a simple a matter of just pulling one more lever to dump the black tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Let me know if you find a reasonably priced tank sensor... been looking around myself for one. It would actually be more useful for the fresh water tank - have learned through normal use that I can usually go at least 3 days or more without dumping the grey water if I don't use the shower. Fresh water on the other hand always seems to vanish faster than expected and always seem to run out at the worst time. Makes me wonder if I actually filled it all the way up in the first place..
For a fresh water gauge, check out peterh's solution... he backlite the tank with LEDs and cut a themometer-shape viewing hole. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post165312
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks Donna, how did I miss that before..... another great Peter idea! It does look simple but I have taken to leaving my bed down and the tank as you know is towards the back part of the hatch - would have to crawl under the bed to read it. hummmmmm

Hope Kevin sees that whole post though at is would give him a good look at how the pumping is installed for his new grey tank..
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #25

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
I see the tubing in and out of the grey water tank!!!

This really helps. I went back and looked at Peter's pictures. I was so in awe of his mods that I didn't notice the tubing.

Jeff
Jeff Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I loved the scene in the movie "RV" with Robin Williams where he dumped, well, sort of, the black water tank. My preference is still the cassette toilet which I dealt with for 5 1/2 months in a pop-up as we stayed in it continuously. Have dealt with black water and the hose, storing it, seeing all the "drips" from the hose and then seeing how sparkling clean the cassette could be with only a little work and not a ton of chemicals. It is a personal choice for me. I would be the first to admit that across the board, my choices are more often than not, different from the majority.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #27

Name: Terrylou
Trailer: 2010 Earthbound
California
We have 17.5 Bigfoot tanks are all under the trailer there is only one outlet I was instructed to empty the blank tank first then pull the lever to empty the grey tank this helps clean the outlet and hose prior to cleaning a little more with fresh water when at the dumping station. The longest best gloves I've found are at Lee Valley tools - love shopping there anyway they come right up to the top of your arms and have elastic at the top to hold them in place and the glove fits snugly on your hands.
Terry Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Porta-potti, Cassette, Black water tank, even relying on public restrooms... each choice has it's drawbacks and advantages.
The one over which you have the least control is the public option.

The porta-potti is most versatile, the cassette's biggest advantage is that it doubles as a blue-boy. The biggest disadvantage to a blackwater tank is the waiting in line, but if you have a greywater tank, that issue doesn't count.
Any of the first three can be managed and maintained easily and cleanly with a little practice, and the convenience, many times, far outweighs the work.

Overall, the advantage of the blackwater tank option is that all waste handling is done outside the trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote