Soft cover for a Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

Name: juan
Trailer: Bigfoot
Texas
Soft cover for a Bigfoot

We are looking for some input on a soft cover for a Bigfoot 25RQ. I am wondering if there is a specific type that would be recommended that would fit well, lasts awhile and be able to endure the sun, heat, wind and humidity of the Southwest. Or maybe a soft cover would not be recommended due to certain unexpected damages they might create? Any information would be appreciated, pro's and con's. At times we will have to leave the trailer parked in storage, away from home, for up to 4 months at a time and would maybe like to keep it covered. Thanks in advance.
pachewheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Juan, the pluses and minuses of covers have had many posts and from reading them I would say it all depends on the location and maybe the time of year. I don't use one because of the 125* summer temps and 60+ winds in my desert, just keep a good coat of wax on it. Some folks have had an extra problem with mold from the humidity. Dust getting underneath it and chafing the gel coat because of the wind. Chafing wiped out a 5K paint job on a buddies classic car . A tight fit may eliminate that though. Others will chime in soon with hands on experience with some pluses for you .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #3

Texas
Thanks Dave, I'll look into some of the older posts. Your thoughts on this makes perfect sense. Fiberglass is new to us and I'm guessing the shell is a lot tougher, if taken care of, than we might give it credit for, maybe a little like first child syndrome. We live in South Texas, mold can be a serious issue here, year round.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Classic Accessories OverDrive PolyPRO 3

Juan,

We don't get the same types of adverse conditions in Kentucky that you will in Texas, but we still wanted to protect our investment when we bought our Bigfoot Fifth Wheel Camper. We bought the Classic Accessories cover from Amazon and have had it on all winter. We still have a little snow on the roof but will be removing the cover any day now to begin some work on resealing a leaky window.

I believe that the sun can cause premature fading of the gel coat if not protected so we opted for a soft cover. It's not an easy thing to put on and we needed two ladders to get the camper covered. We'll probably leave it off the camper for the summer because we have high hopes of being able to do a lot of camping this season.

This cover isn't the most expensive or the cover that most would recommend but I didn't want to break the bank spending over $500 for a cover so we opted for a little cheaper version. So far, we are very pleased and would recommend this cover based on our limited experience.

Good luck with your search.

bill (not laura)
Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks Bill (Laura too). Wanting to protect our investment is exactly why we are considering a soft cover. I am building a carport type cover to keep it under while we are here at home, but it is those rare times when we would travel and have to store the trailer elsewhere that I see a possible need for a soft cover. I agree that price will be a factor in choosing a cover and I really think that traveling with a couple of ladders would not be realistic for us. Thanks for your valuable information. This is exactly what I need, information from experienced users.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Your neighbors or HOA might come after you with torches & pichforks, but consider one of these portable garages. They are also suitable for backyard weddings, ...or not. Make sure it is tall enough. $103.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond:

PS, I see this would only be used away from home. Then don't worry about the pitchforks! Just the torches.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage tent.jpeg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I don't use a soft cover for the same reasons as Dave- wind and dust. If I happen to find a steal on a Calmark I might try it, though. They are better constructed to minimize chafing.

A permanent carport is out of the question, and wind would shred the temporary kind.

So... wax. Twice a year with marine wax seems to keep a bead, which means the gelcoat is protected. Waxing a 13' Scamp twice a year is work. Waxing a 25' Bigfoot twice a year...

Dave uses floor wax rather than marine wax. Lasts longer, higher gloss, but must be stripped to reapply. He can explain the process, but it might be an option. I honestly don't know how it might do on brand new gelcoat. It's usually used to bring back a gloss on weathered gelcoat.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cover

our scamper 13f is a 95 the p/o showed me where some of the gel-coat is gone on the roof. he said he tried to restore it no luck and had used the high priced wax routine. we are on year 2 it hasn't progressed any more.

its now 23 years old I don't know how many owners it had through that but I have just learned to live with it!

it must have been raised in a hot sunny climate for it to have this damage i guess it depends where a fiberglass camper lives its life.

our inside is nice and dry we are happy and the fact we only paid 5k for it with a few outside marks doesn't bother us.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:06 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
pretty fancy

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:37 AM   #10

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
Juan,

We don't get the same types of adverse conditions in Kentucky that you will in Texas, but we still wanted to protect our investment when we bought our Bigfoot Fifth Wheel Camper. We bought the Classic Accessories cover from Amazon and have had it on all winter. We still have a little snow on the roof but will be removing the cover any day now to begin some work on resealing a leaky window.

I believe that the sun can cause premature fading of the gel coat if not protected so we opted for a soft cover. It's not an easy thing to put on and we needed two ladders to get the camper covered. We'll probably leave it off the camper for the summer because we have high hopes of being able to do a lot of camping this season.

This cover isn't the most expensive or the cover that most would recommend but I didn't want to break the bank spending over $500 for a cover so we opted for a little cheaper version. So far, we are very pleased and would recommend this cover based on our limited experience.

Good luck with your search.

bill (not laura)
Took our cover off of Gladys this last weekend. Except for a little dirt from rolling it up on the group, it still looks like new.

bill (not laura)

Tags
bigfoot