solar panel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
solar panel

I have a U Haul CT 13, it has the original solar panel but not hooked up. Does any one know the wattage? I've looked at the two manuals on doc center but can't find anything. The original converter is shot, so I'm trying to plan a new system and would like to include solar, except for a proper regulator of some sort-its free. thanks Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Mike, when new it was about 10 watts. You can measure the output by shorting the leads across a $5 ammeter (disconnect from controller). I checked mine and its output had degraded to next to nothing. For $120 I installed a 60 watt panel that works very well.

Digital Multimeter - 7 Function, w/ Backlight
Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #3

Massachusetts
solar panel

Hi Tom, and anyone else reading: Thanks for the quick response. Since I posted earlier today I've found a dangling wire from the panel, its producing juice. I assume the controller was part of the original converter that is shot. Do you know if a regulator and or controller is necessary for this little output? I'm trying to avoid a converter and just use a good charger. thanks Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
Hi Tom, and anyone else reading: Thanks for the quick response. Since I posted earlier today I've found a dangling wire from the panel, its producing juice. I assume the controller was part of the original converter that is shot. Do you know if a regulator and or controller is necessary for this little output? I'm trying to avoid a converter and just use a good charger. thanks Mike
You do not need a controller for the original panel. You may find it interesting (or disappointing, as I did) to see the actual output. The original controller is mounted on the side of the battery case. It is totally independent of the converter.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #5

Massachusetts
solar

Thanks again. My original wiring looked like a plate of spaghetti, so I did'nt really attempt to figure it out. A fresh set of eyes makes a big difference. Mike

Tags
solar, solar panel