"solo woman" question re general maintenance required for trailer vs class B - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #41

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Currently shopping
CA
I love all the encouragement in this group, and the great ideas too!
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #42

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I see the title of this is "Solo Woman" so I'm going to assume that means you plan on spending most of your time traveling alone. I CAN RELATE TO THAT! And this is NOT to discount or disrespect anyone's answer that's been provided... but pay attention to those that say "WE" when you need to think "ME." There's a huge difference in needs when you're the only one doing all the driving/setup/breakdown/maintenance and on and on. You won't have anyone else to help.... other than the kindness of strangers when you're "on the road."

That said... NO ONE is born with a towing/backup gene. Everyone has to learn. You can learn just as well as anyone else, I promise. You already have more skills and more knowledge than you know. All it takes is some confidence to move forward. The only other option, is you don't.

There's a big, beautiful life out there waiting. Just don't wait to long....
The me's vs the we's are slightly different. I do most of the driving and all the backing up of the trailer. I do most of the driving of the motorhome. My husband cannot back the trailer up at all but does good with the motorhome. He does not like to drive but likes going. To learn to back a trailer go to a parking lot and put up a line of cones, boxes etc and try to back the trailer up. Some just cannot get the hang of it. We've discussed what if one of us dies, what would the other one keep. We both said the motorhome because of the safety, less hassle of hooking up, etc. One thing we both know is to keep a good roadside service that will tow the RV no matter what you choose. We've needed them a couple of times on the road and a few at home. Towing an RV even from just off the road can cost upwards of $400. Good Sam has a good plan for RV's. Many will tow the tow vehicle but not a trailer and won't tow a motorhome. It's a real peace of mind to have someone you can call and trust to get the right person for you and someone they know is most likely safe. I do not like towing the trailer in the rain because it just doesn't feel good to have something dragging behind you. We've done it but I like the feel of the motorhome better. We've only needed a car 3-4 times in our 37 years of traveling with the motorhome and rented one. We've taken the trailer a few times when we knew we'd need a vehicle but it isn't often. So weigh all the pros and cons that you can find. List them side by side and see which ones are most important to you. Then you can choose more wisely. Or you can rent a small RV and a trailer and see which one you like best.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #43

CA
The way my house is set up, an 8' wide motorjome has literally 2" of clearance at the roof eaves. Way too hard to back in, even getting it out is terrifying. Husband could do it, but I wouldn't trust anyone else. Class Bs too expensive or too old, so TT it is ifi want to RV camp
Old 04-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #44

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
We bought our used 2013 Casita two years ago precisely for its durability, ease of maintenance, flexibility, and long-term value. We did not have space for a full-size truck to tow with, nor did we have space to store a larger trailer. We invested about $18K total into the trailer and accessories. This was our first trailer, and I was not sure we would get the use out of it. So far, we have put on 12,000 miles and probably 100 nights' use. We've had only minor issues which are common to any RV - sticking toilet, learning to pack the fridge properly, stuff like that. We don't need any special mirrors for towing; I did add air bags and heavy-duty shocks, but that was it.
In our case, we use the trailer for three seasons; much below 30 and we stay home.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:56 PM   #45

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
Debit, if you're not aware f RV bootcamp, you may want to consider it. Escapees does it both in person (a 3 day event at a campground) and online. It's a complete set of classes n every aspect of your trailer -- water, electrical, heating, etc. etc. As a solo woman, embarking soon on trailer adventures, I'm planning to put in the time to do the online course now, and go to one of the camps once I have my rig (and can't figure out where everything is). May be helpful to give you confidence that you know what you're doing.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #46

Oregon
Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned attending a fiberglass trailer rally. That's a great place to see a wide variety of trailers, along with friendly people who will describe them to you and give you their honest assessments.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 PM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m not a solo traveler, but backing in is best done alone. I find out where my wife wants the trailer (skip that step if solo), then I send them all off to check out the bathroom or the beach... anything.

I put a folding chair right where I want the back corner of the trailer to end up (on the side I can see in my mirror) and use it as a target. It does not move, nor make any unintelligible hand-wavings. It does not tell me to hurry up or slow down, or turn left and then turn right... but just sits there patiently until a gentle nudge against the chair lets me know I’m done.
I once saw a guy wearing a T-shirt that had “I APOLOGIZE FOR WHAT I SAID WHEN I WAS BACKING UP”
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #48

CA
Love the boot camp idea, esp online to start with. Saw a Casita rally at Lake Casitas which is near me, in October
Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #49

Oregon
Up our way (northwest Oregon) I recently saw a sign that said, "I'm sorry for all those things I said when it was Winter."
Currently 43, showery, humidity 75%
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #50

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
Love the boot camp idea, esp online to start with. Saw a Casita rally at Lake Casitas which is near me, in October
Pretty sure that rally draws other molded fiberglass brands, too. Have you found the Rally Map in the “More” tab at the top right corner?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:16 PM   #51

CA
Not yet. Still stuck in tow vehicle that is not a truck cycle
Old 04-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #52

Arizona
Registry
Could you elaborate?
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #53

CA
This is off topic for this thread, but here's the "search for tow vehicle" summary to date. Am going to buy tow vehicle new, to minimize my stress. Have pretty much decided on Casita Spirit Deluxe 17', 2500 lbs dry (not including awning and furnace) , 365 tongue weight.

I want an SUV, not a pickup truck, because I just do not want to drive a pickup truck full time. So there's that. Started off thinking I wanted a Hyundai Santa Fe XL or Kia Sorento, largely because of reliability ratings and long warranty. Learned via this site and others that these are likely not best for towing, not really designed for it. Looked into Honda Pilot and Toyota 4Runner. Pilot sounds good, but has a ridiculous flaw -- roof rails only available on trim that has apparently problematic 9 speed transmission. 4Runner seems to not have reliability that I thought it would, and really lackluster technology, including safety tech.

So now we are at Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango, and I am corresponding with a very helpful gentleman on one of the forums about these two. I'm not over-joyed because again reliability ratings not superb according to Consumer Reports. But a purchased extended warranty will calm my fears. This is the one time in my life I am going to spend some money to buy myself peace of mind.

You asked for elaboration, so there it is. Apparently this is what happens when you don't want to drive a truck. I am only half-joking here.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:08 AM   #54

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Brilliant Jon.
Much better than looking in the mirror and finding your better half is watching eagles flying overhead or in deep discussion with another camper.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #55

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
In case you want to reconsider, I don't consider today's "trucks" to be trucks. Depending on the brand, some are like cars with a small deck to put things in. I tow my Spirit Deluxe with a 2011 6 cylinder Ford Ranger. It goes and isn't too rough riding. I'd rather have a Subaru, but that isn't going to happen.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:27 AM   #56

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
This is off topic for this thread, but here's the "search for tow vehicle" summary to date. Am going to buy tow vehicle new, to minimize my stress. Have pretty much decided on Casita Spirit Deluxe 17', 2500 lbs dry (not including awning and furnace) , 365 tongue weight.

I want an SUV, not a pickup truck, because I just do not want to drive a pickup truck full time. So there's that. Started off thinking I wanted a Hyundai Santa Fe XL or Kia Sorento, largely because of reliability ratings and long warranty. Learned via this site and others that these are likely not best for towing, not really designed for it. Looked into Honda Pilot and Toyota 4Runner. Pilot sounds good, but has a ridiculous flaw -- roof rails only available on trim that has apparently problematic 9 speed transmission. 4Runner seems to not have reliability that I thought it would, and really lackluster technology, including safety tech.

So now we are at Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango, and I am corresponding with a very helpful gentleman on one of the forums about these two. I'm not over-joyed because again reliability ratings not superb according to Consumer Reports. But a purchased extended warranty will calm my fears. This is the one time in my life I am going to spend some money to buy myself peace of mind.

You asked for elaboration, so there it is. Apparently this is what happens when you don't want to drive a truck. I am only half-joking here.
I feel your frustration. No choice is perfect. "Just get a truck" is the majority view here.

Just a heads-up on the Casita 17. It tends to be somewhat more tongue heavy than other molded trailers in that size range. Typical loaded tongue weights are in the 400-425# range. You may experience enough sagging of the rear suspension to warrant use of a weight distribution hitch. Not a deal-breaker, but it will complicate hitching and unhitching. Some are pretty heavy to put on and take off.

A Casita or Scamp 16 would avoid that complication with the vehicles on your short list.

Regarding the Pilot, have you looked into aftermarket roof systems (Yakima, Thule) that could be added to models that lack factory rails? What are you planning to carry?

With the Grand Cherokee, make sure you're looking at a configuration with a tow rating of at least 5000#. Some are as low as 3500#.

There is also one "truck" that's not really a truck and drives and parks like a car: the Honda Ridgeline. Depending on what you want to carry, it might be worth a look. It has a tongue weight rating of 600#, so it's better suited to a Casita 17.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:30 AM   #57

CA
I am starting to get my head around a Dodge Durango, of course with tow pkg. I need to look up tongue rating with tow pkg, tow capacity would be 6200 or 7200 depending on engine.

Question: assuming that the tongue capacity of my tow vehicle is well within range of my trailer tongue weight, is there still a benefit to a WDH? Would it be better at freeway speeds, for example, or in wind? This would be helpful for me to know.

A gentleman I am talking with about a Casita 17', who tows with a truck, recommended an Andersen WDH. Assuming that I would need a WDH, is that a good one? Are some better (for my trailer / vehicle combo, not for a 35 foot trailer, of course). And, are some easier / lighter / etc. I think I could do, having watched some videos quickly this morning. Seems like the most important thing would be to have a nice long lever to rachet it on. Will be studying this more.

Added question: what are the other add-ons I should have, towing with something like a Durango, towing something like a Casita? I know I need added engine and transmission cooling. I've seen mentioned airbags, added suspension on vehicle, added suspension on trailer. Might as well as for the required / recommended list of these things all at once, to start learning about that.

Thank you all so much. For those who have asked why I don't just keep my Class A, the deal-breaker is I can't get it in and out of my sideyard, nor can anyone else without causing me major stress and without an eventual damaging accident. Our city doesn't have much storage, has waiting lists, very very expensive, and in any event, I want something smaller now. It just plain feels too big for me by myself. Not to drive it or camp with it, but everything else.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 AM   #58

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Jon beat me to this one

There is also one "truck" that's not really a truck and drives and parks like a car: the Honda Ridgeline. Depending on what you want to carry, it might be worth a look. It has a tongue weight rating of 600#, so it's better suited to a Casita 17.

The Ridgeline is basically a Pilot tricked out to act and look like a pickup. It rides and handles like a SUV. I've had mine for 6 years now and with 140k+ miles have been very pleased with it as a tow vehicle and as a main vehicle when not camping. My only complaint is its mileage which I gather has considerably improved on the new ones.

Walt
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #59

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The Durango my son-in-law rented had an air dam under the front bumper. I say 'had' because he trashed it on a bit of rough road.

That, and my aversion to Fiat/Chrysler products would strike Durango off my list.
As for Andersen, the conduct of a major executive, carving his initials in a park monument, strikes Andersen off my list. See story:

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/me...53287525d.html
Old 04-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #60

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Washington
Just my two cents here. The main difference between a motorhome and a travel trailer is one has an engine and drivetrain that needs maintenance, especially if used and the other doesn't. With that in mind, we quit looking for a small used motorhome back in 2010 and bought a new 17SD Casita. We love it and still use it despite my bad back. I no longer have to climb up on the roof inspecting and resealing seams (I hate rubber roofs). Fiberglass trailers do not have seams. Pretty much everything else is the same.

Additionally, if you stay small like with the Scamp or Casita...(don't forget about a 17 foot Escape), you can tow safely with a mid size SUV or truck (pay attention to the owner manual as to tow capacities). Our most recent tow vehicle is a 2018 Honda Ridgeline AWD and we love it! It is more capable than our 2010 Tacoma Prerunner was and safer because it is 3 inches wider and weighs about 500 pounds more. We also choose to use a WDH. Think of it as a comfort hitch because you will notice your trailer pulling on your tv much less and avoid the porpoising on sectioned pavement. Once you get it adjusted, it will only take a few minutes to install or uninstall. Although we don't use the Anderson, it is a good option to look at. We use the EZLift Elite 6000/600 WDH and it performs well for us, but it does have some heavy parts unlike the Anderson. Our hitch head weighs 40 lbs which I can lift and install with my floor jack instead of my back. I could lift it even with my bad back, but I am trying different things to keep me going longer. In fact the hitch head is sitting out in our garage on the floor jack where I left it last October, all ready to go. The Anderson hitch head is very light by all accounts I have read.

As to exterior maintenance, we have our Casita waxed once each year which costs us about $200. Still as shiny as it was the day we brought it home. We keep it covered with a Calmark cover off season.

Because we stick to the West Coast and Northwest we don't pile up more than a couple thousand miles a year, so we get the bearings and brakes serviced about once every three years. Because the weather is so mild here in Seattle, we replace our tires every 5 years or so. If you live where it is hot and humid, you may need to do it more often. Weather, not miles will be your most significant factor for tire replacement. Keep them covered off season, too.

There are plenty of solo female RVer's out there, especially in small travel trailers.

Hope this helps.
Casita Ed is offline   Reply With Quote