"solo woman" question re general maintenance required for trailer vs class B - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #61

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Scamp 13'
California
DebiT
I'm a75yo woman, alone, and just bought my first travel trailer 2 years ago. It's an older--198--13' Scamp. I did all the research and decided a travel traikler was a better option for me so I could park & leave it. Otherwise you have to drive the motorhome when you go anywhere or pull a car, so you end up having to hitch up something either way.

Don't over-think it. Just do it. Do the research, then go with your gut. I jumped right into it, made my first camping trip bringing it home from Arizona to northern Ca, with almost no instruction--the seller really didn't use it & didn't know how much of anything worked--learning as I go!! Hitching and backing are easier with 2 people, but you do get better, and there are WONDERFUL, helpful people out there. So far very little maintenance, but my son has helped, and I will hire out some stuff. I love my little Scamp, but if I had had my choice, financially, I would have bought a newer 16' Scamp or Casita. Still lightweight, probably not much more difficult to tow, and more room for me and my 40 lb dog, and it would allow me to ask friends to come along on occasion. In two weeks, I'm taking it for a 5-7 week trip to Iowa and back by way of several national parks. Still learning as I go.

Good luck, and have fun!
LaurieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 02:10 PM   #62

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Solo woman

Hi,
Chiming in to just say that I’ll soon be 73 and have been soloing in travel trailer full time for many years now. Park host and living life economically as possible. Casita 17’ is perfect for me...easy to hitch and maintanence is easy if you keep on top of it. Things break and humidity happens and at times it seems like a chore but not making rent or mortgage payment works for me. And i still am ok with the trade off. In fact..I love my feeedom.
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:05 PM   #63

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
I'm planning on towing a 16' Casita or Scamp with a Highlander Hybrid. Gas mileage is 27/25, which is the best I've seen for a tow vehicle strong enough to pull a 16'. Highlanders have very good ratings for reliability, and longevity. I just bought a 2010 with only 80,000mi, which made it quite affordable. It's rated for 3500 lbs towing. I'll watch my trailer weight, but dry a 16' should be less than 2500lb. Even with water and stuff, I suspect I'll be well within the 3500 limit. Happy to watch the weight in exchange for the better gas mileage. Just in case you'd consider a Highlander Hybrid. The regular Highlander with a tow package is rated to tow 5000# but mileage is more like 21/25. And I was surprised how easily the Highlanders handle. Didn't feel like a big tank, corners nicely, turns in a surprisingly small space. And I'm comparing it to my Honda Fit which is soooo much smaller and lighter.
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:22 PM   #64

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
"4Runner seems to not have reliability that I thought it would, and really lackluster technology, including safety tech. "
4Runners are one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet - pick up Consumer Reports and have a look for yourself. Though I think it's hard to buy a bad new car these days. This shows the 4Runner to be CR's most reliable vehicle of the decade: https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...-reports.html/

"An amazing 13 straight years of top reliability scores make 4Runner the undisputed champion.
It may lack refinement and seem a little dated, but as far as reliability is concerned nothing compares to Toyota 4Runner. The truck-based SUV posted 13 consecutive years of the highest ratings Consumer Reports gives for durability. Since 4Runner has not undergone a redesign since 2010, buyers of any model-year can be confident they’re getting the most bulletproof vehicle in America."

It's true the thing won't steer for you, and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. The money was put into the vehicle and drivetrain. It does have "braking assist," which took me a while to figure out. If I tap the brakes quickly, it - all by itself - slams on the brakes. Somewhat inadvertently, we ended up in a wash in Arizona with 2' deep ruts in sand and gravel. The 4Runner carried us through that for five miles until we got out, none the worse for wear, except that the skid plates are somewhat sandpapered.
Oh - the 4Runner has trailer anti-sway built in as part of the ABS braking system. We don't use a WDH and have never felt the need for one.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #65

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Currently shopping
CA
Thanks for all the encouragement. Definitely moving forward
DebiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #66

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
I had a reply to Jon but it disappeared when I got kicked out for some reason. I am a great believer in the Honda Ridgeline. Love the trunk in the bed. Love the fact you can tow a loaded 2 horse trailer.with it. Beats any SUV INCLUDING the 4Runner

Ridgeline
MPG: 19 city / 26 highway
4Runner
MPG 17/21
Ratings: Ridgeline 8.8/10 Durango 8.6/10 4Runner 7.6/10

They all cost around the same but the one with the highest resale is the Ridgeline.

The crappiest transmission? toss up.

Because I towed 8600# with a Dakota 5.2l one time and survived after spending $3000 rebuilding and modifying the crummy Chrysler tranny a few weeks before, I am partial to the V8. I am not a fan of the 4Runner. The reviews show it's worth and that is not what the Motor Press like to think.

I would never tow a TT with a Grand Cherokee simply because Jeep has never made a 100% reliable vehicle since the J series and the SJ. The XJ came close but a little squirly for towing an RV.
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #67

Name: Neville
Trailer: Trails West Campster
Ida Home
Ridgeline has my vote!
Villen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:08 PM   #68

CA
Bought a 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, and ordered a 2019 Durango, because naturally what I wanted wasn't on any lot. Will have V6, full tow package including factory brake controller, and roof racks for my stand up paddle board (those are what gave me trouble). Got a good deal on everything I want, with nothing I don't (except for 3rd row). Casita has Anderson weight distribution hitch, and once everything is here, then I'll have to study up on how to make sure everything hitches up correctly.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #69

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Saw the new Ridgeline at the Portland Auto Show, and took a good look at it. I like the design. The rear seats almost instantly fold flat, there's a hidden trunk in the bed, and it's a comfortable vehicle with lots of room. Average reliability, though. It, or the Pilot, was choice #2 behind the 4Runner.

Just saw your post, DebiT - congratulations!
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #70

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebiT View Post
Bought a 2015 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, and ordered a 2019 Durango, because naturally what I wanted wasn't on any lot. Will have V6, full tow package including factory brake controller, and roof racks for my stand up paddle board (those are what gave me trouble). Got a good deal on everything I want, with nothing I don't (except for 3rd row). Casita has Anderson weight distribution hitch, and once everything is here, then I'll have to study up on how to make sure everything hitches up correctly.

Hi DebiT,

Great combination. Congratulations!!! Look forward to reading about your adventures!

Happy Camping,

Dean
Old 04-24-2019, 06:16 AM   #71

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Wow! That was fast, and you made some good, solid choices. How long a wait for the Durango?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:27 AM   #72

CA
Probably 6-8 weeks, which is annoying. But I didn't want to settle. And the Casita opportunity, 70 miles from my house, better than new, fell into my lap. I truly think it's a blessing, a way to be able to camp at the beach like we did so often.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #73

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You did well to jump on the Casita. Used eggs don’t last. Well cared for used ones close to you... priceless! I guess some driveway camping, or perhaps a U-Haul rental truck to get to the beach? I’ll bet you could hire it towed to your campsite, too, since it sounds like it’s not too far. RV rental companies do it all the time, or ask around at local RV shops.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:48 AM   #74

CA
I'll just wait. I have reservations all through October, and a busier May than I'd expected, so before I know it Durango will be here.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #75

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Well Holy Cow!

You work fast once you make up your mind with a plan of action!! Wonderful!!

I can't say much about Durangos, as I have no experience with 'em...but you're just gonna LOVE your Casita!!

Simplicity and efficiency all rolled into one.

Welcome to asylum!
Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #76

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
As for Andersen, the conduct of a major executive, carving his initials in a park monument, strikes Andersen off my list.
The linked article and the associated event date from over a year ago. Some of the "reporting" is highly suspect; who carries spare license plates in their car?

These posts and the attendant efforts at encouraging a boycott of Andersen products have been kept alive here, on the Escape forum, and gracious-knows-where by various posters. I cringe now when I see anyone mention Andersen products on the forum, waiting for the sword to fall...

For my part, I wasn't personally commissioned by the great almighty to be the final arbiter of truth and right in this world.

I certainly wish that folks would give this one a rest and call it shaming well-done. With all of the ill in the world today, certainly there are more serious and contemporaneous events to tend to.

Carry on folks.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I certainly wish that folks would give this one a rest and call it shaming well-done. With all of the ill in the world today, certainly there are more serious and contemporaneous events to tend to.

Carry on folks.

I believe the Andersen exec in question published an apology ( I'm not willing to search for it ). So, it happened.

Then it's up to the consumer to decide. I'm not in the market for a hitch, so I don't care, but I think it's fair that people have the information on which to base their decision.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #78

Name: Bueno
Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
California
I hope that you have better luck with your Durango than most folks do. I wouldn’t buy a Chrysler product, ever. They make some of the best looking vehicles around, but are notoriously unreliable. My sister had a Durango and the engine blew up at 38,000 miles, out of warranty. It was a great vehicle until it wasn’t.
Bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #79

CA
Buying the Maxcare extended warranty for 8 years. With my low mileage most of the time it should last