Source for small double glazed windows ? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #15

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp 19' 5th wheel
Michigan
Eddie, sorry, maybe I was not clear. The conditions I mentioned (dropping to 30's at night) are mid summer. In winter it might be 20-30 below at night and storm winds well over 100mph... No, I will not be camping in my scamp in those conditions... In summer it obviously warms up during the day and is generally sunny, but a trailer has no capacity to store heat to carry you through the night. I am building an earth bermed passive solar masonry home with a steel roof and spray foam insulation to handle those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Keith
During the summer you can roll up the Reflectix and remove it and the foam flooring for summer camping. I also put some Reflectix or foam between the gravel shield and front window.
Eddie

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Hi Keith, have you done any research over at ExpeditionPortal.com forums on use of diesel heaters at altitude? There might be some nice pointers. I know several are using the airtronic cab heaters over there in their Sportsmobile vans and such (typically they use the hydronic that gives you hot water and air).

Cheers,
Thom

Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #17

Michigan
The Webasto / Espar type auxiliary heaters work very well with micro processor control, but they draw about 130w when lighting and about 90w when running, so it is not an insignificant electrical load. They are also noisier in operation. It is a great solution to prevent things from freezing if you set the thermostat low, since it is basically fully automatic in operation.

I can see that when used in any vehicle that is equipped with an engine that the electrical load would probably not be an issue (particularly if the vehicle is driven/sailed daily).

I am attracted to the total independence of electrical power of the natural draft type stove, even if that means that operation is not in any way automated.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #18

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
...I am attracted to the total independence of electrical power of the natural draft type stove, even if that means that operation is not in any way automated.
: ) I like the tent stove in your first post, just ramblin' as i passed through and i've gleaned good info from the Expo site through the years on various builds and wanted to pass the site on.

Cheers,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:52 PM   #19

Michigan
I have learned that there are several excellent stove/heater models. The one I listed is the most utilitarian and cheapest, but I believe that the fuel control and vaporizing burn pot are actually European made and common to lots of different manufacturers stoves.

Here is a Napoleon OS10 stove

Here is a Godin (what were they thinking with the green ????)

Finally a Franco Belge

With a close up of the burn pot

Tags
windows