Southern Mattress Company. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2005, 10:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I keep reading about a custom mattress for the Casita made by Southern Mattress Company. Have any of you bought one? If so, how has it worked for you? Also, how much are they charging for these?

Thanks!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
we bought one and have slept on it but not in the Casita. We got the 4" which by the time they get through with it is 7"-8" thick. We used it on the living room floor over Thanksgiving at my son's house when it was sooo crowded that if you got up in the night you needed to leave a bookmark in your place. The price was about $325.00 and they told us that because the price of foam was going up they would have to do the same. Great bunch of folks to do business with and a great product, it slept real well and since we slept on it we found out theres a top and a bottom (2" of memory on top) I don't know which side we slept on but it was as good as my home mattress if not better

OOOPs wife said it was $350
Old 12-20-2005, 07:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft 2005 Freedom Deluxe Casita
We had one made when we got our new 01. We took the Casita to them and they made the pattern which is the same patter they still use. Then when we ordered our 05 they made us another for us. We would not spend one night on anything else but what they make. They have made all our home mattresses and are a great company to do business with. They are a small family owned operation that knows nothing more than southern hospitality and high quality. Once you spend all the money trying to get a good feeling sleep service you are close to having the real thing and alssp in total comfort.

We are not affiliated wioth them in any way except that they are located in our town and life long involved with Boy Scouts with our sons were in.
Attached Thumbnails
Cross_section_of_mattress.JPG   Southern_Mattress.JPG  

Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Since I leave my bed made all the time I decided to order the 4" Southern Mattress with 2" memory foam. I already have 2" memory foam pad that I use on top of the Casita cushions so I asked them if I sent them my memory foam, could they use it. They stated I would have to send it to them but if they could use it they would.

They called me back and said that it will work fine. Sending them my memory foam will save me $90.00! Just thought I would pass along in case someone else was thinking about ordering the mattress and already had memory foam pad.

Southern Mattress has to make sure that the quality of memory foam is good enough. I assume because they are putting there name on it and that they would have enough material to cut and use with their foam mattress.

The Southern Mattress makes the mattress out of HR-30 foam in a 4" or 5" option. They also give you the option of adding a 2" memory foam layer on top of the base foam. This is completely covered with padding and mattress fabric materials and will look just like any other mattress except will have the curves on the back side to fit the Casita.

The Southern mattress when it is complete will be 6" to 11" thick depending on options. The finished full size bed for the 17' Casita will be 74" x 52" from Southern Mattress.

They will also make twin and king size, just give them a call and they will let you ask all the questions you want. Just be ready to be drowned in southern kindness and hospitality.

If you look at the picture that Terrance posted, you will see the 5" base foam with 2" memory option.

Received my new Southern Mattress yesterday, very, very nice! I laid it on the floor and tried it out for a while. Even thou the Casita cushions with memory foam pad that I had been using were ok, I think the new mattress will be much better and easier to make the bed up and live with. I paid $360.00 after sending them my memory foam plus shipping.

Can't wait for my next camping trip to try it out!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #5

Hey Bill, My memory foam is on the side that has the label on it. My label has the words "Luxury Firm" on it. But I guess you would have to confirm that with Southern Mattress that they place this label on the side of the memory foam.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Thanks, folk!

I think my wife and I will invest in one. If any of you know their phone number, feel free to post it. I guess we'll order it after Christmas. We have a trip planned in January and a long one in March. Would be nice to have it by March. Then we have a trip planned to the Smokies in early April.

We're going to use our Casita quite a lot over the coming year. I think we'll average one trip a month.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
As a Scamp owner, thought I'd throw in a plug for Southern Mattress as well. Huge improvement over the factory cushions.

Bob, I pulled this number from the Casita board 800.227.8701 and assume it's correct. 252.446.1101 or 252.446.6511 are definitely good. Like Terrance, we live just a few miles from the factory and have found these folks to be good neighbors (no commercial relationship here either).

Why're you waiting till March? We're heading for Big Bend next week, c'mon along.

Merry Christmas to all - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:42 PM   #8

800-227-8701 is correct number.

Southern Mattress Web Site
Old 12-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Hey Bill, My memory foam is on the side that has the label on it. My label has the words "Luxury Firm" on it. But I guess you would have to confirm that with Southern Mattress that they place this label on the side of the memory foam.

Hi Kent, Lindsy was the first one to tell me about top and bottom but he said it was marked on the wrapper and being as how we had used it on the floor out of the wrapper we were not sure which was top or bottom so we called Southern matress to see what they had to say. They said as you did that there was a small label on the top and ours also says luxury firm. We still haven't put ours in the camper yet and I chuckle at the thoughts of wrestling that thing in there without destroying the whole trailer. Thanks for confiming Bill
Old 12-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Bill,
Keep us posted on your experience and advice on how you manage to install the mattress. Looks like a good chance to break things.
Could be a real comedy-tradegy situation. Is your Casita an FD? I'm thinking I'd remove the side dinette so that maybe 2 of us could wrestle it into place. We've thought of purchasing one since we plan on extensive travelling this next year.
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 07:49 PM   #11

Hi Kurt, we have the SD and I too plan to take out the side dinette and also the blinds which will stay out. We bought some accordian type blinds that are supposed to be thick enough to keep light out, so they will go in after the mattress. Once you get the mattress inside you still have to pick it up and turn it into position around the partition between the dinette and bed. I'm probably reading too much into this project but its still gives me a chuckle thinking about it. I did get the mattress moved from the house to the back of the pickup so stage one is complete.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I called Southern Mattress today. Nice lady. Told her I have a 17' Burro wide body measurements are 54x86 Cost for basic mattress not the 5-2-1 was $630.00 Ouch!
$725.00 for the 5-2-1
She said the same Casita basic mattress 54x77 would be $595.00.
I guess this is not the way to go nowdays , unless I can get the wife to get a job.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanits View Post
...I guess this is not the way to go nowdays , unless I can get the wife to get a job.
Greetings,
I read your post and wanted to share one solution to the good-nite's-rest-in-RV...
Through much research i purchased a Froli Sleep System for our van conversion. My wife liked it so much we put one in our stick built home which replaced our sealy pillow top queen bed...the Froli is THAT nice!

Your cost will be about $200? for the Froli Star basic sleep system kit, then you just put one or two mattress toppers on of your choice. We use a 4" Gel topper from one of the big box stores.
You will put the pieces together and make the bed any size you wish, then trim any topper to the needed size. Totally simple!! Amazing bed.

Here are some links:
Froli Sleep System website (they are great ppl to talk with and customer service is great!)

Here is a post over at my van build site to give an idea of what i did:
__Link to build thread post with our froli__(scroll down the page)

Here is an image before we put the platform in the van:

And here it is in our van with mattress toppers:

Best wishes on the hunt for the perfect bed.
One thing this will also do is eliminate mildew or mold under the bedding as there is now natural air flow under the mattress.

Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Interesting

I will look into it.

Thanks
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote