Speakers In Scamp 13 ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Speakers In Scamp 13 ?

I am thinking of putting in speakers in my Scamp 13 & have not seen anyone discussing this. What would be a good way of doing this with getting good sound & not using much room? Thanks
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Place one 4"x4" speaker on each side of the upper cabinet door opening. Use the upper cabinet by the entry door (right side)that way when you sit at the table you can enjoy stereo .
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I am thinking of putting in speakers in my Scamp 13 & have not seen anyone discussing this. What would be a good way of doing this with getting good sound & not using much room? Thanks
I've been researching options for my Bigfoot 19. Do you already have a Head Unit/Audio system that you will be hooking up to the speakers?

If not, consider getting a car stereo system that is 12 volts. You can install it and the speakers in your cabinets (you'll probably have to cut some holes). It will not take much space (inside or outside the cabinet) and will provide decent to excellent sound quality.

The head unit's pricing is dependent on your needs and taste. For instance, I have an i-pod and that can easily be plugged into the back of a unit and kept out of site in the cabinet. If I wanted to spend more for Blue Ray features, I can control the unit with my I-pod in my hands as I move around the cabin. That's good news for any future purchase of, say, an I-pad.

My problem is the cost of installation. Unless I can locate some old time friends who I can trust to do a quality job, I'll have to go to a good Audio store.

If you feel comfortable drilling holes inside your cabin and doing the wiring, you'll save several hundred $$$. Speakers (you won't need more than 2 for inside your cabin) aren't that much at all. And you can probably pick up an terrific head unit that will fit your budget.

Food for thought.
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
We use computer speakers plugged into our dvd player this gives us good sound in a compact package, with the added convenience of individual volume control and power boost at each speaker.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Providing you have inverted or "shore" AC power; I also like computer speakers. Computer gaming speakers are self powered, 2 or 4 speakers plus a subwoofer, and cost less than $125. No head unit ness., just plug right in to your ipod, portable CD player, DVD, minidisc, 8-track, reel-to-reel,... My 2 speaker+sub unit was $60, with no installation cost, and sounds great.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I used the Cambridge Soundworks PC Works in my 13' Scamp. It has biamplfied subwoofer system with 2 small enclosed cube speakers that can be mounted with double sided tape..
It is 110V but I cut the DC convector off the power cord and wired it into the 12V system.
I have another set I will be installing in my 16' Scamp as soon as I get the time.
They sound great.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #7

Registry
Thanks for your ideas! I had one of those kitchen under the cabinet cd/radio set-ups but I want to save room for a set-up like Floyd's DVD/TV idea. Those power speakers would be a great idea along with it.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:10 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
I installed computer speakers each side of the cabinet and use them with my MP3/radio device and with my TV/DVD flat screen unit.
Michel, Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #9

Registry
This was interesting... I found some Dell computer speakers on Craigslist locally & came to find out... with Michel's help that Dell speakers (Model A215) would not work in the application where I am trying to hook up to a radio/TV etc. I was also thinking... I wonder hooking up computer speakers to an ipod etc would cause any damage since the ohms watts are different. I hope there are some electrical guys out there.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:08 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
Registry
Hi, I don't have an iPod, my MP3 player is a Sansa, and it is working perfectly.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #11

Registry
Thanks for the idea of using computer speakers in the camper!! I bought some Dell's on Craiglist but they wouldn't work... he let me return them. I found some Yamaha ones at a garage sale today & they sound great.

Now & need to find out how to mount them.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I got those pre-fab carpeted boxes... the cables are long enough to put them outside. looking for a weatherproof plug so I can get rid of the extra wire
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #13

Trailer: 1980 16 ft Scamp (Restored)
Registry
Speaker Installations

Quote:
I installed mine under the dinette seats. They sound great. I mounted my am/fm/cd player under the stove.
(See Photos)
Lawrence
Attached Thumbnails
Newtablestereo8.jpg  
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Paul Chet had sent me a picture of a very small but powerful speaker he had found a while back. Maybe he can pipe in the details.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
yep, Roy is correct. i am getting ready to move and decided since we will likely rent a house and not another shoebox - err - i mean, condo ... that my Sony DAV-IS10 micro-speaker theater system wont be needed. so the plan is to use it in my UHaul Ct 13'.

they make the small Bose cubes look like behemoths (they are literally golf ball sized). mine are already a couple of years old but they put out 50 watts and i doubt you will need more when watching movies etc. (at least your camping neighbors will agree!). the receiver is about the footprint of a mac mini which is also nice and compact and the only thing of size is the sub-woofer. however, its thin (yet tall). i plan to stash it in my cabinet - which i honestly think would be worth the real estate. it also comes with a dedicated ipod/iphone dock which will play and recharge simultaneously.

i was planning to eventually router out small openings in the overhead cabinets i would like to build/buy (much like Roy's) and flush mount the speakers pointing down. i think it would be a really elegant touch, almost invisible, yet still give you nice clear sound. this way i will be able to enjoy my multimedia, music, and dvds unobtrusively.

the rub is - they arent cheap, but i got a steal of deal on mine (Circuit City was closing down + it was open-box = half off!). so if money is an object, then perhaps computer speakers will work just fine, but you might find this system on eBay for a deal as well (people like the size but complain that they dont shatter their windows and often re-sell, but again i think for a 13' these are perfect. I cant max out the sound in my condo without scaring the neighbors).

and no i dont work for Sony, i just found this set cuz it fit our teeny-tiny condo. so there's my tupence. either way i hope you find what your are looking for!

DAV-IS10 | BRAVIA® Theater Micro System - black speakers | Sony | SonyStyle USA
Attached Thumbnails
DAVIS10_1.png  
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #16

Name: Todd
California
we use an iPod dock but if I was to install speakers I would go with powered PC speakers. You can get a nice satellite/sub system for under $100 that can then plug into any headphone jack. Many also have additional inputs for use with things like optical and rca connections....

The iPod dock is nice because it's battery powered for 6+ hours and then charges the iPod when plugged in.
Nor_Cal_Todd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio, scamp, speakers