Spiderveins in Gel Coat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Madalyn
Trailer: 2011 Casita Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Spiderveins in Gel Coat

Is it normal for a 2008 model Casita to have spiderveins in the gelcoat? Does this happen to most fiberglass trailers?
Madalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
Is it normal for a 2008 model Casita to have spiderveins in the gelcoat? Does this happen to most fiberglass trailers?
I had a few in the gelcoat of my Trillium. After doing some searching here I found they are a common occurrence. My concern was water freezing and making them worse. A recommended product was Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure. You've got to love the name.

Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure

I found a guy on eBay selling it. it's easy to apply. It won't repair the cracks, just seal them. As they haven't gotten any bigger I tell myself it worked. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Gelcoat is slightly less flexible than fiberglass, over time it gets even less flexible, thus can get those spider cracks that are just surface deep.

Sealing as Raz suggests and keeping an eye on them is a good approach. Impact cracks that radiate out from point of impact or bulls eye cracks that are in concentric circles around impact warrant some checking to see if fiberglass under gelcoat has any damage. Or at least a little closer monitoring.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote