Spring clean/wax for Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1990 Casita
Colorado
Spring clean/wax for Casita

Hi all! I want to do a general clean and wax of my Casita this spring and would love to know what products and processes you all recommend. I saw the thread on the Zev(?) floor wax but that seems more for restoration. It also sounds like a huge job with some pretty intense product. My Casita is in pretty good shape, just want it cleaned up and looking good for the season and touched up. I thought I might start at a local car wash to clean and then apply some sort of boat wax/protectant.

Advice on products and processes?
Coznells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coznells View Post
Hi all! I want to do a general clean and wax of my Casita this spring and would love to know what products and processes you all recommend. I saw the thread on the Zev(?) floor wax but that seems more for restoration. It also sounds like a huge job with some pretty intense product. My Casita is in pretty good shape, just want it cleaned up and looking good for the season and touched up. I thought I might start at a local car wash to clean and then apply some sort of boat wax/protectant.
Pretty much boils down to the condition of your shell/gel coat Lisa. If the gel coat is getting a bit chalky, a good wash down with Bar Keepers Friend will take all that off. I did that on my '06 SD17 when I got it and it really only took 3 hours. As far a as wax, mmm, you're going to get responses for paste wax and Zep/Poliglow. Just my 2 cents but I've done the paste wax/buffer thing on many big Rv's I've owned. Yes, they did look good but took a few days to do. I went with the Zep for the egg and would never go back to paste wax for the results/effort and time spent to make the egg shine. I did post my process to use/strip Zep if you want to look it up. Bottom line, I can strip and put 5-6 coats of Zep on my 17 in 4 hours, it's not a big job at all. So there you go, first answer with more to come .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
At 29 years old and Living in Colorado if your gel-coat is in good condition it would be the exception.
My 1999's gel coat was gone when I bought our 1999 12 years ago and no amount of waxing, polishing, buffing or whatever would restore the sheen.

I use and found Zep floor finish lasts longer then Poli-Glow too.

Many threads here on the subject, look no further then here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-56598.html

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Pretty much boils down to the condition of your shell/gel coat Lisa. If the gel coat is getting a bit chalky, a good wash down with Bar Keepers Friend will take all that off. I did that on my '06 SD17 when I got it and it really only took 3 hours. As far a as wax, mmm, you're going to get responses for paste wax and Zep/Poliglow. Just my 2 cents but I've done the paste wax/buffer thing on many big Rv's I've owned. Yes, they did look good but took a few days to do. I went with the Zep for the egg and would never go back to paste wax for the results/effort and time spent to make the egg shine. I did post my process to use/strip Zep if you want to look it up. Bottom line, I can strip and put 5-6 coats of Zep on my 17 in 4 hours, it's not a big job at all. So there you go, first answer with more to come .
Thanks, BD. You’re right about powdery, and there is some dirt that needs to go. I’ll try the Bar Keeper’s Friend and consider the Zep. I am intimidated by the application but almost more so the stripping once it’s run its course. This info is super helpful. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
At 29 years old and Living in Colorado if your gel-coat is in good condition it would be the exception.
My 1999's gel coat was gone when I bought our 1999 12 years ago and no amount of waxing, polishing, buffing or whatever would restore the sheen.

I use and found Zep floor finish lasts longer then Poli-Glow too.

Many threads here on the subject, look no further then here.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ass-56598.html

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I think maybe I was hoping for a quick boat wash/wax that worked well and didn’t need to be buffed in the following years, but that’s probably too good to be true. This is helpful info. Thank you!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks, Joe. I think maybe I was hoping for a quick boat wash/wax that worked well and didn’t need to be buffed in the following years, but that’s probably too good to be true. This is helpful info. Thank you!
Poli-Glo is for boats and ZEP last longer!! and it does not need buffed at all if you don't want too.
Plus ZEP has a stripper that makes stripping it off easy.
Six coats of ZEP sounds like a lot but on a warm wind free day you can continuously circle the trailer, it dries fast and you only apply THIN coats.

A good cleaning and application CAN all be done in one long day if you hustle but washing it good one day and applying ZEP the next is relaxing.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #7

Wax for fiberglass

I swear by a wax a wax called Rejex, by U.S. Corrosion Technologies. Easy to apply, looks great, and really resists bugs, bird droppings, etc. Makes my 2010 Escape look like new. Here's an Amazon link: http://https://www.amazon.com/s?k=re...nb_sb_ss_i_5_5

I use Pro Wash cleaner Xtreme spot cleaner by this company to get the trailer wax ready.

Good Luck
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Our 2007 Casita looks like new still. We use a product called The Solution. If your unit is not dirty you don't need to wash it unless there's stuff stuck on it. We usually wash ours then apply The Solution. It is a cleaner/wax. It helps repel yuck and assists in cleaning. It waxes very nicely. You spray it on and dry it off. No waiting, no buffing, easy to do and very quick. It can be gotten from the Super Seal Specialty Co at 1-888-299-2136 or 760-343-2229. We got a gallon at a rally about 10 years ago and have done the Casita probably 3 times, our motorhome 2-3 times, a station wagon twice, our cars and still have about half of the gallon left. It is expensive but worth the cost. So don't buy a full gallon unless you plan to use it on multiple vehicles. A half gallon would last several times of waxing. I can't say enough good things about it. We tried waxing and that was to much of a pain plus The Solution does a better job than the waxing.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Thanks, BD. You’re right about powdery, and there is some dirt that needs to go. I’ll try the Bar Keeper’s Friend and consider the Zep. I am intimidated by the application but almost more so the stripping once it’s run its course. This info is super helpful. Thanks!
Both are very easy to do. Use the stripper full strength when it comes time to remove it. Diluting it doesn't get it all and you have to go back, don't ask . Use only a white micro fiber cloth to apply it, any other color will transfer to the shell. Wring the cloth out as dry as you can so there is no chance of a run and go to town. Overlapping any coats will not show up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #10

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Re: wax

Has anyone else used Mother’s wax? Unless I’m naive about adequate results, this product works well for me. Wipe on wipe off and my Casita 17 2013 shines like new.
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Wolfe View Post
I swear by a wax a wax called Rejex, by U.S. Corrosion Technologies. Easy to apply, looks great, and really resists bugs, bird droppings, etc. Makes my 2010 Escape look like new. Here's an Amazon link: http://https://www.amazon.com/s?k=re...nb_sb_ss_i_5_5

I use Pro Wash cleaner Xtreme spot cleaner by this company to get the trailer wax ready.

Good Luck
Rejex is actually a polymer coating, rather than a conventional wax. Thats what I'm going to be applying to my Escape when we get back from a 3 week road trip.

but if you have oxidation (marshmallow chalky surface) best to use a non-wax polish compound first, applied with an orbital buffer, to take the chalkiness off, then wipe clean, THEN apply Rejex or another coating.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:23 PM   #12

Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Registry
Zap the ZEP!

I too tried ZEP floor polish, and learned the hard way that it will fail and start to peel like a bad sunburn after a couple of years. After stripping it all off I went with a marine wax. Yes it takes a couple of applications, but in the end it will be easier to maintain than ZEP.

My Scamp Fiberglass Egg Camper: Shine bright like a diamond
Garycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Everyone seems to know which Zep product we’re all talking about here. Always in the dark me, doesn’t. Can someone please be specific? Thank you.
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
pretty sure they are talking about this stuff, https://www.zep.com/product/zepcomme...c-floor-finish
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I had zep or the previous product known as Red Max Hi traffic floor wax on my Boler for 10 years now with no problem. Initially put 3 coats on and now just one coat in the Fall and another in the spring and as said no pealing or yellowing.
Love this easy to use product
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita 17 FD
Florida
Since nobody seems to have mentioned it, I suggest trying Starbrite Marine Polish with PTFE (Dupont made them not spell out Teflon).

I have used it for over 10 years on my 2008 Casita, and it has kept the fiberglass very shiny and smooth, without any oxidation...even dealing with Florida sun.

It is very easy to apply, hardly any rubbing is required. Just wipe it on, and wipe it off. It is a product designed for marine fiberglass boats, but what could be better for a fiberglass trailer?

You only need to apply it about twice a year, and once a year is OK. If you get any build-up of algae, leaf stains, etc., they also make a cleaner/polish that will clean up the fiberglass and make it shine -- and followed with a quick coat of the polish will make the fiberglass look "like new."

One of the best features of this polish is that absolutely does not yellow or make the fiberglass look yellowed -- like some waxes do.

Full Disclosure: I have no financial or other interest in this company or product. I just offer this as a helpful suggestion.
GatorCasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:18 PM   #17

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
I’ll put in my vote for Poliglow. I watched numerous videos on YouTube after seeing it recommended on the forums many times over the years. Bought the kit off Amazon, read the directions multiple times and watched the videos again. Washed my 21 year old Casita with whatever, used Bar Keepers Friend as necessary, and followed directions on the Poliglow kit. It took us probably four hours or so from start to finish to do a good six coats or more, but it just kept looking better and better with every coat and it got a little addicting! And I guess I’d lose count! In the end my old trailer looks brand new, except for the out-dated graphics. As I understand it, Poliglow is for fiberglass boats, while some of those other products, like Zep, are for floors. To me, it made sense to do the Poliglow. Sounds like I’ll be adding two more coats every six months or a year, as needed (according to the directions). Piece of cake. Good luck in your decision!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #18

Name: Ralph
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Quote:

In my humble, but albeit experienced opinion, there is nothing on the market any better than Collonite. Clean with their # 920 cleaner and then a coat, (or two depending on surface condition) of their # 885 Marine Paste Wax. It will give you a workout but you will be satisfied with the results.
RalphB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #19

I believe most are using ZEP "WET-LOOK"polish from Lowes.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Zep-Wet-Loo...olish/50286135

It all depends on the condition of your gel coat what product will work for you.
A good coating of wax on a few year old or stored under cover trailer will work great.
But the original poster's trailer is 29 years old and she is in Colorado, I'm willing to bet the gel coat is gone.

I first used Poli-glo products and found ZEP lasts longer and is more affordable. If we have a chemist in house I'll bet they have the same ingredients.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #20

Name: Ralph
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa M. View Post
I’ll put in my vote for Poliglow. I watched numerous videos on YouTube after seeing it recommended on the forums many times over the years. Bought the kit off Amazon, read the directions multiple times and watched the videos again. Washed my 21 year old Casita with whatever, used Bar Keepers Friend as necessary, and followed directions on the Poliglow kit. It took us probably four hours or so from start to finish to do a good six coats or more, but it just kept looking better and better with every coat and it got a little addicting! And I guess I’d lose count! In the end my old trailer looks brand new, except for the out-dated graphics. As I understand it, Poliglow is for fiberglass boats, while some of those other products, like Zep, are for floors. To me, it made sense to do the Poliglow. Sounds like I’ll be adding two more coats every six months or a year, as needed (according to the directions). Piece of cake. Good luck in your decision!
Yep, Poli-Glow brightens things up initially, but when it comes time to do a removal is a major chore. I bought a used 31' sloop which for some reason the PO used Poli-Glow on the hull topsides and deck area. I spent numerous days and lots of elbow grease trying to get the stuff off.
RalphB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita