Spring clean/wax for Casita - Fiberglass RV



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1990 Casita
Colorado
Posts: 10
Spring clean/wax for Casita

Hi all! I want to do a general clean and wax of my Casita this spring and would love to know what products and processes you all recommend. I saw the thread on the Zev(?) floor wax but that seems more for restoration. It also sounds like a huge job with some pretty intense product. My Casita is in pretty good shape, just want it cleaned up and looking good for the season and touched up. I thought I might start at a local car wash to clean and then apply some sort of boat wax/protectant.

Advice on products and processes?
__________________

Coznells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coznells View Post
Hi all! I want to do a general clean and wax of my Casita this spring and would love to know what products and processes you all recommend. I saw the thread on the Zev(?) floor wax but that seems more for restoration. It also sounds like a huge job with some pretty intense product. My Casita is in pretty good shape, just want it cleaned up and looking good for the season and touched up. I thought I might start at a local car wash to clean and then apply some sort of boat wax/protectant.
Advice on products and processes?
Pretty much boils down to the condition of your shell/gel coat Lisa. If the gel coat is getting a bit chalky, a good wash down with Bar Keepers Friend will take all that off. I did that on my '06 SD17 when I got it and it really only took 3 hours. As far a as wax, mmm, you're going to get responses for paste wax and Zep/Poliglow. Just my 2 cents but I've done the paste wax/buffer thing on many big Rv's I've owned. Yes, they did look good but took a few days to do. I went with the Zep for the egg and would never go back to paste wax for the results/effort and time spent to make the egg shine. I did post my process to use/strip Zep if you want to look it up. Bottom line, I can strip and put 5-6 coats of Zep on my 17 in 4 hours, it's not a big job at all. So there you go, first answer with more to come .
__________________

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Posts: 632
At 29 years old and Living in Colorado if your gel-coat is in good condition it would be the exception.
My 1999's gel coat was gone when I bought our 1999 12 years ago and no amount of waxing, polishing, buffing or whatever would restore the sheen.

I use and found Zep floor finish lasts longer then Poli-Glow too.

Many threads here on the subject, look no further then here.
Using Zep to restore oxidized fiberglass

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1990 Casita
Colorado
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Pretty much boils down to the condition of your shell/gel coat Lisa. If the gel coat is getting a bit chalky, a good wash down with Bar Keepers Friend will take all that off. I did that on my '06 SD17 when I got it and it really only took 3 hours. As far a as wax, mmm, you're going to get responses for paste wax and Zep/Poliglow. Just my 2 cents but I've done the paste wax/buffer thing on many big Rv's I've owned. Yes, they did look good but took a few days to do. I went with the Zep for the egg and would never go back to paste wax for the results/effort and time spent to make the egg shine. I did post my process to use/strip Zep if you want to look it up. Bottom line, I can strip and put 5-6 coats of Zep on my 17 in 4 hours, it's not a big job at all. So there you go, first answer with more to come .
Thanks, BD. You’re right about powdery, and there is some dirt that needs to go. I’ll try the Bar Keeper’s Friend and consider the Zep. I am intimidated by the application but almost more so the stripping once it’s run its course. This info is super helpful. Thanks!
Coznells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1990 Casita
Colorado
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
At 29 years old and Living in Colorado if your gel-coat is in good condition it would be the exception.
My 1999's gel coat was gone when I bought our 1999 12 years ago and no amount of waxing, polishing, buffing or whatever would restore the sheen.

I use and found Zep floor finish lasts longer then Poli-Glow too.

Many threads here on the subject, look no further then here.
Using Zep to restore oxidized fiberglass

Joe
Thanks, Joe. I think maybe I was hoping for a quick boat wash/wax that worked well and didn’t need to be buffed in the following years, but that’s probably too good to be true. This is helpful info. Thank you!
Coznells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coznells View Post
Thanks, Joe. I think maybe I was hoping for a quick boat wash/wax that worked well and didn’t need to be buffed in the following years, but that’s probably too good to be true. This is helpful info. Thank you!
Poli-Glo is for boats and ZEP last longer!! and it does not need buffed at all if you don't want too.
Plus ZEP has a stripper that makes stripping it off easy.
Six coats of ZEP sounds like a lot but on a warm wind free day you can continuously circle the trailer, it dries fast and you only apply THIN coats.

A good cleaning and application CAN all be done in one long day if you hustle but washing it good one day and applying ZEP the next is relaxing.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 11
Wax for fiberglass

I swear by a wax a wax called Rejex, by U.S. Corrosion Technologies. Easy to apply, looks great, and really resists bugs, bird droppings, etc. Makes my 2010 Escape look like new. Here's an Amazon link: http://https://www.amazon.com/s?k=re...nb_sb_ss_i_5_5

I use Pro Wash cleaner Xtreme spot cleaner by this company to get the trailer wax ready.

Good Luck
Glenn Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coznells View Post
Hi all! I want to do a general clean and wax of my Casita this spring and would love to know what products and processes you all recommend. I saw the thread on the Zev(?) floor wax but that seems more for restoration. It also sounds like a huge job with some pretty intense product. My Casita is in pretty good shape, just want it cleaned up and looking good for the season and touched up. I thought I might start at a local car wash to clean and then apply some sort of boat wax/protectant.

Advice on products and processes?
Our 2007 Casita looks like new still. We use a product called The Solution. If your unit is not dirty you don't need to wash it unless there's stuff stuck on it. We usually wash ours then apply The Solution. It is a cleaner/wax. It helps repel yuck and assists in cleaning. It waxes very nicely. You spray it on and dry it off. No waiting, no buffing, easy to do and very quick. It can be gotten from the Super Seal Specialty Co at 1-888-299-2136 or 760-343-2229. We got a gallon at a rally about 10 years ago and have done the Casita probably 3 times, our motorhome 2-3 times, a station wagon twice, our cars and still have about half of the gallon left. It is expensive but worth the cost. So don't buy a full gallon unless you plan to use it on multiple vehicles. A half gallon would last several times of waxing. I can't say enough good things about it. We tried waxing and that was to much of a pain plus The Solution does a better job than the waxing.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Borrego Dave's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 3,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coznells View Post
Thanks, BD. Youíre right about powdery, and there is some dirt that needs to go. Iíll try the Bar Keeperís Friend and consider the Zep. I am intimidated by the application but almost more so the stripping once itís run its course. This info is super helpful. Thanks!
Both are very easy to do. Use the stripper full strength when it comes time to remove it. Diluting it doesn't get it all and you have to go back, don't ask . Use only a white micro fiber cloth to apply it, any other color will transfer to the shell. Wring the cloth out as dry as you can so there is no chance of a run and go to town. Overlapping any coats will not show up.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
California
Posts: 5
Re: wax

Has anyone else used Motherís wax? Unless Iím naive about adequate results, this product works well for me. Wipe on wipe off and my Casita 17 2013 shines like new.
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21
CA
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Wolfe View Post
I swear by a wax a wax called Rejex, by U.S. Corrosion Technologies. Easy to apply, looks great, and really resists bugs, bird droppings, etc. Makes my 2010 Escape look like new. Here's an Amazon link: http://https://www.amazon.com/s?k=re...nb_sb_ss_i_5_5

I use Pro Wash cleaner Xtreme spot cleaner by this company to get the trailer wax ready.

Good Luck
Rejex is actually a polymer coating, rather than a conventional wax. Thats what I'm going to be applying to my Escape when we get back from a 3 week road trip.

but if you have oxidation (marshmallow chalky surface) best to use a non-wax polish compound first, applied with an orbital buffer, to take the chalkiness off, then wipe clean, THEN apply Rejex or another coating.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #12
Member
 
Name: Gary
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Posts: 39
Registry
Zap the ZEP!

I too tried ZEP floor polish, and learned the hard way that it will fail and start to peel like a bad sunburn after a couple of years. After stripping it all off I went with a marine wax. Yes it takes a couple of applications, but in the end it will be easier to maintain than ZEP.

My Scamp Fiberglass Egg Camper: Shine bright like a diamond
Garycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 8
Everyone seems to know which Zep product we’re all talking about here. Always in the dark me, doesn’t. Can someone please be specific? Thank you.
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21
CA
Posts: 1,501
pretty sure they are talking about this stuff, https://www.zep.com/product/zepcomme...c-floor-finish
__________________

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I clean, polish, wax, paint, and/or gelcoat? akjruthies Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 40 07-09-2018 08:18 AM
wax on....wax off CountrysideGrace Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 20 01-03-2018 04:20 PM
FL | SOLD 2009 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe ***FOR SALE*** CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN $16,650 Compass B Classified Archives 9 08-18-2017 01:22 PM
Seapower clean&wax Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 07-06-2003 02:27 PM
Wax On... Wax Off... Legacy Posts Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 2 04-19-2003 09:19 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.