Stabilizer Jacks - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #15
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
I use a couple of scissor jacks. I picked up a couple for less than $5 at a recycle yard. Some have mounted them permanently under the bumper of their trailer. I also have an older couple of jack stands that I put under the tongue area.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 AM   #16
Name: Jim
Trailer: 76 13 ft Scamp (fits in my Garage...Yeah)
I have a 76 Scamp as well and it too fits in my garage. I use scissor jacks. They are super low profile when not in use. All the other types of jacks are too tall unextended. I bought them at Harbor Freight for about $10 each.

your my twin....garaged 76 scamps.....i just went to harbor freight yesterday and they didnt have the sissor jacks on sale
but i will look at them more closely i would like a permanent solution ie welded to my rig but i just dont see them hanging underneath with my limited clearance

jimtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #17
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
I have a 76 Scamp as well and it too fits in my garage. I use scissor jacks. They are super low profile when not in use. All the other types of jacks are too tall unextended. I bought them at Harbor Freight for about $10 each.

I'm glad scissor jacks have been mentioned (I was thinking we were doing it all wrong) we use them got at a automotive flea market for $5 each --cheap & they do a great job!! IMHO!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 PM   #18
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Is 2 needed in the front?

Any exerience with just 1 on the front?
James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #19
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I doubt two are needed in the front (of my 13-er). I bet many people just go with the center jack that comes on the trailer (the wheel or "foot" one).

I use two in front just because I like the slightly less wobbly feel, and because it gives a bit of frame support under the gaucho area - but I'm sure it's not necessary.

OTOH, I have four, they are not expensive, and it takes but a moment to put them in place.

Then again, if I'm just stopping for a night, I often don't unhook from the car, and then I don't use the two jacks (but I do put the "foot" down).

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #20
Name: Michel
Trailer: Boler 1300 1973
I got 2 scissor jacks at an automotive scrap yard for 5$ each and they look like new. I'm using them at the rear but haven't fixed them permanently as I wasn't sure how long they would last always getting the road dirt. At the front I'm just using 2 stack jacks
Boler 1300 1973
Jeep Wrangler 2dr 2012
Michel, Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #21
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
I use four screw-jacks. I find that it sure makes it a lot quicker and easier to level out the trailer as opposed to "trial and error" of stacking different combinations of blocks under the wheels and driving on and off several times to get it right. I also bring along a cordless drill, which I can use both for drilling if needed, but also to run the jacks up and down quickly. I can set up and level out in under three minutes, without rushing to do it. They do add a little weight, although this is pretty negligible, and they do take up some space in my pick-up's bed, but it's worth it to me for the convenience they provide. They are also handy for jacking if you need to change a tire on either the trailer or the TV. Just my two cents worth. One caveat, just be sure to place them under the reinforced areas of the frame so as not to distort or warp the frame channels.
"Government doesn't have an answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #22
Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
I, too, had installed a pair of the BAL Telescopic Trailer Stabilizers on the Front of my Bigfoot 21RB. It came with a pair on the back, and I added the front ones. Loved them and used a cordless drill with a 3/4 inch socket adapted and spin those babies up and down as needed. Sure beats crawling around under the trailer with those tripod thingys. I know some young Pups, like Raya, don't have any problems, buy my knees and other parts don't like all that crawling around.

I just got 2 sets of the BAL 20 inch ones and will put them on mjy 2006 Casita as soon as the stupid rain stops. Here's a link that shows them, but I bought mine at Camping World last Saturday as they were on sale with the President's CLub Card, which I have for the moment. A little over $200 for the pair. If I had ordered them they would have been more, with the shipping, even though I wouldn't have had to pay Sales Tax.

This is a good place to order things like this if you need to.

Well, I hate it when I'm stupid! I feel so embarrassed about all my "pontificating", or "Bloviating" as O'Reilly would say.

Today, I got my trailer from storage, backed it up in the driveway, got all my tools, pieces and parts together and not a blasted thing would fit or work right. I had ordered an UltraFab Odyssey 3000 power tongue jack, installed it and went to open the Tahoe door (Barn Doors type) and the door hits the BIG Head on the Odyssey. Well, that won't work so I'll sell it or send it back and get the UF Jack with the old-style Smaller Head. I'll sell this jack for $130 plus some negotiable shipping, if anyone is interested. Just send me a PM. It's a factory rebuilt unit with a 1 yr warranty.

Then, I said to myself, "self, go put the BAL Telescoping stabilizers on anyway". THEY ARE TOO WIDE FOR THE CASITA!!!!!!!!!!!!. I could have cut the rear one down and made it work, but the front has to be 36 inches wide to mount and you can't cut them down that much. So, back to Camping World I will go next week and return them.

Maybe I'll look at the ones Donna D likes.

Now, I'm showered, shaved, all good smelling and I'm going to go next door and help my neighbor finish smoking our ribs and help him drink his Beer.

Murphy lives!!!! Happy Fathers Day to all.

Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote