Stabilizing Jacks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Hi,

I have just purchased a 14' Surfside and I need to some stabiling jacks. Any suggestions of how many I need and what type to buy? I can see where they got the surfside name because I need sea legs to walk in it

thanks in advance
Kevin W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Congrats Kevin! It's always fun to get a trailer.

Here's a selection of the types of stabilizers available. This happens to be the listing from J.C. Whitney, but all of them are common types and available from a variety of sources.

stabilizer jacks

Most trailers come equipped with the third ones in the list. They bolt to the bumper and stay attached to the trailer. They're simple and inexpensive.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #3

Thanks Roger,

I will go this weekend and buy a pair of the ones you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

Kevin
Old 06-03-2006, 06:30 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I used the aluminum crank up type. The two that came on the back had been torn off by a previous owner. They come 4 in a pack. Since I had the extra two, I use two on the front as well. Really makes it solid. Mine were suppose to be temporary until I could have some welded on, but they are so easy to use that I never did anything else. I remove the front two, then crank it down a couple of cranks and the rear ones just slide out. Very simple.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 06:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My trailer came with 2 screw-type jack stands which I use in the rear. I bought 2 scissor jacks for foreign cars at a junk yard for $4 each. I use those under the frame in front. Solid as a rock.
Tom Trostel
Old 06-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
I purchased 2 scissor type jacks from a junk yard also....mine were $5.00 each. I'm going to attach them to the underside of the rear bumper. Don't know yet if I will weld them or bolt them.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:19 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Don't know yet if I will weld them or bolt them.
As someone who is continuously making mistakes, and having to correct them, I would Bolt them on. But that's just me.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We have a pair of the same type jacks and we leave them free, so we can place them wherever we want/need to!!!

IMHO, bolting/welding them on could possibly result in some serious "bottoming out" in some whoops n dips found in our area, but its YOUR KAWL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Kevin,
I would humbly suggest getting something like # 2 on that list or scissor jacks! The #3 came on our Casita as OEM and you'll find yourself CRAWLING around when they decide to hang up(always when it's raining and you've driven 12 hrs and its dark and the mosquitoes have come out to FEED and you're DINNER) Did I mention that I know from personal experience......
Congratulations and good luck, Chuck
horsefolk
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I went out today and bought choice #1, the aluminum crank up type. My trailer has a cheesy looking angle iron bumper with a make shift spare tire holder. I will wait to see what I come up with for a bumper replacement before I concider permanently attaching stabilizers.

Kevin
Old 06-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
For what it's worth, I have four of the standard screw type with the square base. They have always worked well for me, but have two shortcomings.

The biggest problem has been keeping the small (1.5" diameter) pad on top to stay in contant with the frame beam I want to support. What I'm going to do with my set for the Fiber Stream is find some tall U channel that matches the trailer frame, and weld small pieces to each jack top.

A second issue is the square bottom metal frame has a very small area, and often sinks into softer ground. I am going to make a set of dedicated jack pads with two pieces of 1/2" plywood, the bottom piece about 1" bigger around than the pad, and the secons to fit within the jack's frame. Glue together, and paint, and I'm done!

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Kevin, I use the aluminum stands and usually without the screws.....I carry an assortment of wood pieces from 1/2" - 1 1/2" thick and find it much easier to use them than to screw the jack......In the last 4 years I`ve used the screws once, I believe, because of the height required......I use these wood pieces as chocks, and a lot of other uses.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft
I'm with Chuck on this one. I use the telescopic jacks offered by Scamp, and they seem almost perfect. First and perhaps best, they're always there when I want them, tucked into the rear bumper channel The time saved not looking for them or marking my mental checklists is priceless. These jacks just follow me wherever I go, I can't seem to shake 'em. Also I appreciate that they're bolted securely to the trailer, and nothing can shift or slide out of whack. Finally, because they extend at a set angle from the trailer toward the ground, they seem more stable, less inclined to failures due to excessive inclination.

Plus, they were cheap ($35 a set) and I had holes pre-drilled for them.

But they're not perfect. Why? They won't jack up the trailer to change a tire.
John Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:53 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
The biggest problem has been keeping the small (1.5" diameter) pad on top to stay in contant with the frame beam I want to support. What I'm going to do with my set for the Fiber Stream is find some tall U channel that matches the trailer frame, and weld small pieces to each jack top.
Don't see why you wouldn't McGuyver up something with the plywood and glue while you have it out for the bases. Make the U out of plywood and drill a 1.5" hole part way through.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I really like the telescopic stablizers that came on my Scamp. Make set up, which includes getting things level quite easy. I think I saw mention of the method I use somewhere on here, maybe pre hack. Here's my method, or ...

1. Place chocks around the high side wheel.
2. Place BAL leveler under the low side wheel
3. Lower tongue jack and unhook. Get TV out of the way.
4. Raise BAL leveler until side to side is level.
5. lower tongue jack until nose is down close to a bubble's worth.
6. lower stablizers and extend to contact with the ground.
7. Raise tongue jack to level fore/aft.
8. Enjoy the rest of the evening.

The BAL leveler serves tripple duty. It raises easily the low side to level, it provides a great chock for the low side wheel, and it helps stabilize the trailer.

I carry a set of "lego" leveling block too. I've had to use them a couple time when the ground was a bit soft under the stablizers. Once I had to raise the whole trailer because the spot sloped enough that I didn't have enough room on the tongue jack to get it low enough. That on was a bit tricky, I leveled side to side while still attached to keep the trailer from going down the hill. Would not have been good.