"Stealability" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM   #41

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
there are many, MANY more thefts FROM trailers.

Roger

You are correct! I have never had an RV stolen in 40 years and I have never had anything stolen while camping. I have had 3 damaged by thieves breaking in to steal something while my RVs were parked in my yard. I never lock any of my RVs when they are parked at home now.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:20 PM   #42

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Quote:
You are correct! I have never had an RV stolen in 40 years and I have never had anything stolen while camping. I have had 3 damaged by thieves breaking in to steal something while my RVs were parked in my yard. I never lock any of my RVs when they are parked at home now.
John

I think the issue would be time...left long enough alone and they have time to disable most safe gaurds,location is key.
Brad Judd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
John
Up in my neck of the woods, no sign of forced entry = no insurance coverage.

Not to mention that the local prostitute and her daughter would both be operating out of the trailer in a matter of days. Some of the crack heads would be pawning off most the camping gear for their next high. Or one of the "homeless" street people might try to proclaim "squatters rights".

Mine gets locked. Standard mode of operation on a major street in a city of millions.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:42 PM   #44

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Up in my neck of the woods, no sign of forced entry = no insurance coverage.

Not to mention that the local prostitute and her daughter would both be operating out of the trailer in a matter of days. Some of the crack heads would be pawning off most the camping gear for their next high. Or one of the "homeless" street people might try to proclaim "squatters rights".

Mine gets locked. Standard mode of operation on a major street in a city of millions.
Sometimes I forget how lucky I am. 30 years ago I had the same problem you have, I lived in Southern Cal and had to keep my trailer in a locked compound.
Since then I have lived in comparativley small towns.
Now that I am retired I live in a really small town and I have the room to keep my rolling stock well of the street behind a locked gate when I am gone.
If they do want to steal items from my unlocked RV's they are only going to get canned and dry food and the clothes and towels that I leave in the camper. Every thihg of real value gets locked up in the house or shop.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #45

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Does leaving our Boler unplated in the driveway count against stealability???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 AM   #46

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Does leaving our Boler unplated in the driveway count against stealability?
I doubt it. Just as I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to be pulled over by police for having no working lights on the stolen trailer they're towing, I wouldn't expect the lack of a plate to matter much... besides, they could add their own plate (or one stolen from another trailer) in seconds. Still "stealable".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #47

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
I picked up a trailer boot at a garage sale. They are also on line. Just do a quick search. It locks the tires in like the ones you get for parking tickets. Being from Denver. I know all about the Denver boot.. never a worry again!! Oh, and a hasp on each side of the door.
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #48

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
I am looking for an anti-college-students-moving-the-trailer-around-the-university idea. Right now my little '77 Trillium could be pushed around town by motivated (aka: inebriated) college students. We have to park it on the street. The hitch is locked to deter lazy thieves, but it's still mobile. Any suggestions?
Lise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:31 PM   #49

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
There are wheel locks you can buy. I just looked at a trailer that had one yesterday:

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel_lock.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	22740

Quote:
I am looking for an anti-college-students-moving-the-trailer-around-the-university idea. Right now my little '77 Trillium could be pushed around town by motivated (aka: inebriated) college students. We have to park it on the street. The hitch is locked to deter lazy thieves, but it's still mobile. Any suggestions?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #50

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
[quote]There are wheel locks you can buy. I just looked at a trailer that had one yesterday:

Attachment 22740

Perfect!. I'll try locating the product. Thanks so much.
Lise S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:11 PM   #51

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I lock the wheel to the frame.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #52

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Since 99% (at least ) of us tow single axle trailers the best, albiet a little incomvenient, theft deterrent is to remove one tire and throw it in your tug. Doesn't work so good if your spare is mounted on the trailer but even then if you simply take the lug nuts with you it still works. You obviously need a jackstand ( probably as cheap as most locks ) and you are good to go ( literallly ). Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #53

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
The security and safety of our rigs is a big and tough subject. As many have stated already on this thread, no matter what it is (your rig, your home, your vehicle) if they REALLY want it, or want to get INTO it, they're probably going to...

Having said that, I do love that my Compact fits in the garage, in my mind keeping it a tiny bit safer than if it was out on the street. Of course, in my current living situation, I have no garage so it is at the local self-storage where it is the tiniest travel trailer/RV in the place! My hope is that folks are looking at the big monster RVs that are all around, not my little rig...
I do have a deadbolt as well as doorknob lock on the door, and a padlock on the hitch, but as many have said in this thread, these are basically keeping the 'honest' thieves away. So those deterrents, mixed in with some hoping and praying, are what is keeping my rig secure for the moment...
I have thought about adding a cable or something through one wheel, but I don't think there's a large enough space in my rims for something like that... Oh well...
I AM going to ask Santa for the three piece lock set that Fred and Robert have though, that's nice! hehe
Happy, safe and secure towing to everybody!
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #54

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
When we were out on our big first trip, I wondered precisely this. WOULD our trailer be there? I lock the tongue, but really, if someone wanted it, the trailer (and anything else for that matter) would be gone. I take precautions, then hope for the best.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #55

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Some Harley and motorcycle people use this small GPS tracker. can be hid anywhere. About the size of a cigarette pack Link Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #56

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Some Harley and motorcycle people use this small GPS tracker. can be hid anywhere. About the size of a cigarette pack Link Here
Thats a kool idea Ken.