Steam cleaning casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #15

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
PS what was the biological odor destroyer?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Old 07-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #16

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Probably worth mentioning that the nozzle I used was like a miniature floor nozzle, not the one with the brush end. In narrow spaces and angled areas I took the nozzle off and just used the wand. The goal was to suck as much of the cleaning solution and dirt back out of the carpet as possible.

In all cases I sprayed until it was wet, waited at least 10 minutes for 'better living through chemistry' to happen, and then started vacuuming. It was hot (80-90F all three nights). I had my ceiling extractor fan running on high during the whole process, as the cleaning chemicals are fairly noxious in a small fiberglass box.

Old 07-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #17

Name: Andy
Trailer: Casita
California
However you clean your trailer, you'll want to get it thoroughly dry. One or more LARGE fans blowing the air around for a day or more may be necessary to prevent a 'musty' smell from developing down the line.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #18

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Art: I use a dehumidifyer in our camper. It keeps it dry and mold free.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #19

Virginia
The Casita is parked in a sunny spot on a blacktop driveway. I've had an exhaust fan running continuously in it whenever it's been plugged in ever since we got it. It had some evidence of old mildew here and there, but none since the great cleaning. I leave the bathroom window open all the time. There's nothing in there but fiberglass, so rain in there is a non issue. As a result, there's a steady airflow running from the bathroom through the trailer and out the fan in the rear roof vent. I did crack all the other windows 1/2" or so to make sure there was no stagnation during the carpet washing process.

I did, and do, have a small electronic air filter on the floor under the rear table. It dried the floor carpet out quite quickly.

The synthetic carpet on walls and floor doesn't really hold that much moisture - if there's air going over it with less than 100% humidity it will dry out pretty quickly. The problem, of course, is stagnant air.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 PM   #20

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
PS what was the biological odor destroyer?

We have an old dog.
Have had to use RugDoctor Urine Eliminator. Uses enzymes for human and pet odors and for urine, blood, perspiration stains.
You should be able to find it on a display rack next to rental steam cleaners at your Safeway or equivalent.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #21

Georgia
Thanks for all the excellent advice. During the day I keep the a/c on and the fantastic fan slightly open with the max air cover on, during the night I open it, vent it to blow out, turn the a/c to high fan, open a window I put the max air window louvre over, and run a vornado fan on low.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #22

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Sounds like the cleaning left additional deposits (maybe intentional) to maintain a 'clean' smelling odor. Personally, when I've cleaned something, I just want it to be clean but NOT smell like any type of scent.
I'd suggest that you keep it simple to begin with, and just give it a good hand scrubbing to remove whatever leftover cleaning residue is in the walls. See if that takes care of it before you use something more powerful.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #23

Georgia
That's what I think, Pam. Okay I will first scrub 'em down lightly but thoroughly with branch basics but I have a hunch steam cleaning may be needed to actually get off some type of stain resistant coating or whatever it is.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #24

Virginia
In my case, the prior owners used smelly cleaners and artificial air fresheners to cover up old dog and mouse pee smells.

I can get the brand of the stuff I used, but there are probably 10 out there that would work. Some are strongly scented and some aren't, but none has a smell that lingers more than a day or so if you're pumping air through the trailer.

Our Casita still smells slightly of something, but I think it's mostly the plastics in the interior, and it will always have that smell, just like the inside of a car always has a smell. It definitely doesn't smell like artificial fragrances over biology anymore like it did.

Tags
casita