Sticking on the decals - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
When applying decals, I know that I need to clean all the oxidixation off the fiberglass skin first. But what the next step? Do the decals get applied right over the newly cleaned area, or do I need to seal it first with a coat of wax or something?
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
When applying decals, I know that I need to clean all the oxidixation off the fiberglass skin first. But what the next step? Do the decals get applied right over the newly cleaned area, or do I need to seal it first with a coat of wax or something?
No, the gelcoat needs to be completely free of wax, etc. for best adhesion. You can wax afterward. In fact, I'd clean the entire area with acetone before putting on the decals.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
What she said

If you were painting, I would say to use an even more specific solvent wash, and to really be careful to keep a fresh towel section at all times. But for decals you should be fine.

You could probably "get away" with denatured alcohol, which is less toxic.

Definitely don't wax beneath them.

Depending on how large they are, a squeegee can help in getting rid of bubbles.

Websites of people who do boat lettering often have good instructions.
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I'm going to assume that you are refering to vinyl graphics.
Once you have a clean wax free surface , use a soft cloth or a sponge to wet the surface with water,
using a few small drops of dish soap to a gallon. This allows positioning and fewer bubbles with easier bubble removal. Body filler applicators work great,or even an old credit card, to sqeegee out the water.
patience and shade are important, do not apply to a hot surface or in direct sunlight
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #5

That's exactly how I did the boat/name graphics, floyd. Same type of squeegee too. I agree it makes it go quite smoothly. I just wasn't sure if Pam had that type of decal (wet release) or if it was more just a plain "sticker."

The wet release graphics also come with paper on both sides, so you can squeegee with abandon without wrecking the decal (you then peel the top "backing" off when you are done).

(I guess I should have asked more about what kind of decals, how long they are, etc.)

Here is an example of a tips page:

http://www.yachtsee.com/helps/helpfulhints.php

With photos:

http://www.yachtsee.com/helps/installation.php

One more:

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Boat-Name-L...ring-and-Decals

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I always wash the area with rubbing alcohol (Not expensive) first.

Follow directions that come with the decal. Some decals have you WET the area first then apply the decal and squeegee the water and air bubbles out.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #7

Registry
Here's a link - http://www.vinyl-decals.com/categories.php?cat=15
I planned to put on vinyl decals. I've been planning to wax for a while, but didn't want to make more work for myself later. Glad I asked! Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #8

Hi Pam,

I just checked out their site and decals. I don't know if you noticed, but they have a tutorial for how to apply the decals:

http://www.vinyl-decals.com/Vinyl-ap...ion/index.html

I think their instructions look good.

Raya
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #9

Registry
I had read the part about not waxing before applying the sticker, but was not sure if the gelcoat on a trailer would wax up the same way as a car finish or glass window. (I thought that the car or glass would be more likely to delaminate the vinyl sticker?)
That being said, looks like I apply it on a clean dry trailer.....but then how do I wax the trailer now, since the instructions specifically say not to wax over the sticker. <_< Am I thinking too much and making this is more difficult than it should be?
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You R right. Just put the decal on it the right way and go ahead and wax. It is possible to not apply to much wax when U get to the decal.

I use a water/clorix mix to soak the camper to get rid of streaks and green stuff then wash with (Wash and Wax) then rinse with cold water and I get a shinny finish.

Has worked for years and I have never used the wax / rub your A-- off stuff.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
I've put decals all over little Dinky (swirly designs in silver metallic - it is so cute!) and have had no problems with them at all. Here's how I did it:

First, washed the area where decals are to be applied with a liquid detergent - I used liquid Tide and rinsed it well. Then I applied rubbing alcohol to the area and let it dry (only takes a few minutes). After the area was dry, I applied the decal. I waited a good long time before waxing (couple weeks at least) and only did the wax AFTER the decals were on - not before. The sun had sort of baked the decals on really good and then I waxed her up. I do light coats of wax multiple times as opposed to one heavy coating. I very gently applied wax to the decal area and rubbed off gently as well. All went fine. BTW, I use Meiguars Flagship Premium Wax that I ordered off www.westmarine.com - I love that stuff!

Good luck!

Patty
Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Oregon
Registry
I just talked to a guy at Scamp about the decals I received from them. Apparently I just apply them and press them on. I'm doubtful about getting a bubble-free application of the big ones. I asked him about using water and he said "no". I'll wait for it to warm up a little more and give it a whirl.
Mike L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Typically, you will get a few air bubbles under the decal that you can't get out. This is pretty normal and over time, sunlight will cause them to dissipate. I think I'd wait a while for this activity to happen instead of waxing right away and allow the bubbles to disappear first. Just my humble opinion. There's really no big hurry to get a coat of wax on the decals immediately. Good luck, also I'd try to get a helper to help control the decals if they're very long. Ron
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #14

Trailer: 1976 Scamp
Registry
I just put 2 of the old style Scamp decals on my trailer. I cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol and then used a wet sponge to dampen the area. Then I placed the decal and adjusted as needed. I used an old credit card and a blow dryer to make the decal part stick to the camper. Take your time and slowly peel off the backing. It worked perfectly. Now my trailer has an identity!
(FYI - if ordering from Scamp, call in your order. You'll save on shipping. Online they would've charged me over $10 for my 2 decals.)
Jenny W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #15

Name: Heather
Trailer: Scamp
New Hampshire
Registry
Thanks guys... It's 2015 and I'm reading the old posts! Just got done painting with marine topside, looks great and I'm about to order the original decals to it....

Scamping along with this reno... Oh and marine topside works great for the interior too

Heather
noyes1630 is offline   Reply With Quote