Sticky, tacky interior walls - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #15
Name: Lori
Trailer: '87 Li'l Bigfoot
British Columbia
"elephant skin" interior problem

We just bought a li'l Bigfoot trailer. It's in great shape except for the walls. I like the description of "elephant skin". That perfectly describes it. Except I think it's deteriorated more than we first thought. Some patches of it are coming right away from the wall under the windows. I'm wondering how you replace it. Is it a DIY job? Has anyone else fixed the skin? Thanks.

Lori K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Elephant hide was just glued on in the first place and can just be re-glued if it comes loose. I have done some small areas with 3M spray adhesive. Spray wall, spray back of elephant hide, let tack for 5 minutes and press back in place.

For some repairs you have to peel off the inside skin and put it back on, it's not that uncommon.

Others may have more experience with best glue to use. I had 3M available from doing seam tape.

RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Update: I am over half done on de-stickafying the elephant hide.

It has been multiple times spraying, scrubbing and rinsing. That sticky is sticky stuff. Just when I thought I had one section done I'd find a few sticky spots.

My shoulder and elbow got real sore so I had to take a week off. I did more yesterday and it looks great. LA's Totally awesome works good and the dirt comes off fast. In the closet where it was only dirty not sticky, I was done in two fairly quick scrubbings.

We are ordering new tape from Scamp and I can't wait to put that up.
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
As its a Bigfoot I wonder if it originally had a thin vinyl type wall covering finish over the interior walls as you see on their larger trailers which may explain why it wasn't sticky in the closet area as it didn't have it. Perhaps the PO removed it?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #19
Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Here was my wall/seam process and man do we love it:

scrubbed with deck brush and handheld brushes with LA cleaner....should call it LA's freakin unbelievable cleaner (best cleaner we ever have used ....and its a buck!). Filled all seams with ALEX caulk. Primed every seam with KILZ2 Premium. Taped seams with double sided carpet tape (one of the stickiest adhesives ever... cant reposition it or it will pull the caulk out of the seams!). primed over the tape to 'de-stickify' the face when i primed all the walls. filled in any small voids at the edge of the seams with dabs of caulking then coated all walls and seams with behr premium semi-gloss.

attached is a pic of the 2 types of seam tape.... although the carpet tape shows some imperfections if the seam is not caulked well, we liked that looked better than the tape sticking up from the surface...seemed to look a lot cleaner
Attached Thumbnails
seams and walls.jpg  
summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Summer Scamp, your interior looks awesome. All your hard work paid off big!
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #21
Name: Kevin & Lisa
Trailer: Scamp16
Thanks... Now the hard part... Rewiring and install AC.

summer scamp is offline   Reply With Quote