Storage Box for Rear Bumper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
Hi All,

I am planning to do some major work to my U-Haul 13’er this fall. The axel needs to be replaced; I want to get standard rims so if I have a flat and damage the rim it won’t be problem to replace, and I am very anxious to install brakes. The frame has some rust so I would like to take the glass off the frame and do a thorough sand blasting and re-painting.

A mod that my wife and I have been thinking about is to add storage box at the rear bumper to hold a folding table or two and a few folding chairs. It would be about 4.5’ wide x 4’ tall x about 1’ (front to back). I visualize putting a tall narrow door on each side to slide the table and chairs in.

With the body off the frame it is a perfect time to be able to weld on any supports needed for this addition and lengthen the bumper attachment.

I did a bit of internet searching with companies that make accessories for pickups and vans used by tradespersons. Lots of very interesting shelves and drawers and toolboxes and such but no tall shallow boxes.

I could make a fiberglass box but I don’t want to put that much time into it if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas, hints where I might find such a storage box?

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Craig
I added a box on a Scamp 16 for a table and chairs. Lowes had a compact pick up aluminum tool box which was 4 ft wide at the base and about 54" wide at top where it would normally hang over the bed. The box was only 12" from front to back. As I remember it was about 16" tall. The frame on the Scamp is approx. 48" wide. I just extended the bumper out about a foot and bolted on the box.
I then mounted LED tail lights under the box overhang since it covered up the original lights. I then ran the wires through black tubing through the wiring holes for the original lights which I removed. I also had to find another home for the spare.
The extension, box and chairs weighed about the same as the spare. I also carried all my set up stuff in the box which made it very convenient. The top of the box also doubled as a counter while cooking outside.
One more thing, you have to do is get rid of your 4'X4" table, get an aluminum or plastic roll up top table. It takes up about the same space as a chair.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Here is 1 that is only 21" deep:

Stowaway2 Cargo Box
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I've seen a few metal tanks on ebay for boats that might do the trick.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #5

You have changed my thoughts quite a bit CD. The Stowaways look like they might be ideal. There are several problems with my original thoughts of a tall skinny box. The height needed to hold the table and chairs would bring the top even with the bottom of the rear window. Also the box would not be very useful for anything other than the table and chairs.

I really like the Stowaways. The largest is just big enough to take my folding chairs and table standing upright. I might even be able to include the spare tire as well. The shape and styling of the box is rather similar to the trailer body so it might look very natural on the back.

Anyone have any experience with the Stowaways?

Now I am looking at the front for the propane tank and all the misc setup paraphernalia.

Thanks for the tips. Any other thoughts are always welcomed.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #6

I just finished mounting a Max Stowaway on the back of my Casita. I moved the spare tire forward to the tongue.

I put 2 tables, 2 lounge chairs, a tool box, an electric sissors jack, a bucket, a waste basket, and our flag in the box.

I did not use a hitch receiver to mount it, I bolted an extension to the frame on each side and then mounted the box on two cross pieces.

Here is what it looks like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC_251X__Small_.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	23062
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Hi All,
A mod that my wife and I have been thinking about is to add storage box at the rear bumper to hold a folding table or two and a few folding chairs. It would be about 4.5’ wide x 4’ tall x about 1’ (front to back). I visualize putting a tall narrow door on each side to slide the table and chairs in.
Craig T.
I saw one similar to your idea. The owner made the hinged top slant at about a 30 degree angle and added a solar panel on top for his electrical water pump. The whole thing was made from 1/2 inch plywood and painted to match the trailer. He then mounted his spare on the back.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:15 AM   #8

That looks just like what I want Charlie. Thanks for posting the photo.

I contemplated making a plywood box but I am liking this Stowaway2.

Now I need to work out how to attach the supports to the frame.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I put a Stowaway Box on my trailer about a year ago. First off, you'll love the extra storage room it provides. In regard to mounting it...I installed a 2" receiver, which I fabricated myself from a chunk of receiver tube and some 3" heavy-walled square channel (5 ft. length). Also, you'll need enough 1 1/2" square channel tube to weld between the main frame rails underneath, for supporting the front end of the receiver tube. Good solid frame mount, but it will "cost" you the loss of the flimsy factory sewer hose storage bumper. (That was "Sawzalled" off and replaced with the 3" heavy walled square channel mentioned above. You really don't need the sewer hose bumper with the Stowaway Box. I just coil my sewer hose up in a plastic 5 gallon bucket which lives in the Stowaway. Installation pics below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00285.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	23124
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00281.JPG  
Casita Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #10

I would uploada description of how I did mune, but the file is too big.

It is bolted to the frame above the bumper and extends 27.75 inches behind the Casita. There is room between the box and the Casita to mount 2 ea. 4 inch diameter PVC tubes for TV antenna posts and tent posts.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
We recently purchased a rack for the back of our Boler at Costco.It cost $30.00 and will hold up to 3oo pounds.It fits on a regular receiver and can also be used on the back of our car.We plan to add a container in which we can store items.This will still leave room to carry a small generator or a extra propane tank.I think this is a great product for a very reasonable price..... ....Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_rack_2.jpg  
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Here is another photo showing the rack without a container.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler_rack.jpg  
Pat C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
That looks like it could have a lot of leverage, being fairly "deep." In other words, 100# of weight two feet behind the camper is a lot more "weight" than the same amount closer to the axle.

I would think you'd want to be careful about your tongue weight when using that rack. If your tongue weight gets too light it can become dangerous.

You may already know this, but I just wanted to mention it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote