Storage - Take Weight off Tires? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Storage - Take Weight off Tires?

I'm starting to think about winter storage for my UHaul.

It has a torsion suspension, so I'm wondering if it makes sense to take the weight off the tires and suspension while she sleeps. I know that the axle rubber slowly compresses over time and it seems logical that taking the weight off would slow the deterioration if not reverse it slightly.

Opinions, actual experience or wild guesses?
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You should be taking some of the weight off the axle any time it is not being towed.
I think Scamp says something about that in their manual or web site.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #3

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Its also good for the bearings not to leave load on one small area.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
How do you take weight off the axles?

Should all fiberglass trailers have weight taken off the axles for storage? Or only some of the trailers, then which should? How do you do this?

Do you jack them up? And where do you put the jacks? Do you decrease the tire pressure, also?

Thanks
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My trailer stay's in the carport for the winter I jack each side and put the stands under the frame. Will it help I don't really know but it can't hurt.

I don't bother doing anything with tire pressure.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Where do you put the jacks?

Thanks
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Smile

I don't worry about jacking the trailer up to help the tires or suspension because every month I take it for a 100 mile spin for the simple reason to keep the battery charged and to make certain the wheel bearings are lubricated, etc. I have done this for each fiberglass trailer I have owned and guess it wouldn't hurt for every trailer to have a little excersize once in a while.
Marg in NW CA
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
I don't worry about jacking the trailer up to help the tires or suspension because every month I take it for a 100 mile spin for the simple reason to keep the battery charged and to make certain the wheel bearings are lubricated, etc. I have done this for each fiberglass trailer I have owned and guess it wouldn't hurt for every trailer to have a little excersize once in a while.
Marg in NW CA

Probably a great idea! I know my trucks owners manual suggest taking my truck out driving it in 4 wheel drive every so many miles to keep things lubed when 4 wheel isn't used for long periods. Makes sense to do the same with trailer. Though in my part of the world some months it wouldn't make sense towing a trailer around. Too much snow!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
Where do you put the jacks?

Thanks
Ruth it depends on the trailer - most will have info in their manuals as to where best to place the jacks. You dont need to jack them way up - just take the pressure off the axle. Its common recommendation made in regards to most trailers with a torsion suspension. Having said that it is just that a recommendation, done to give the suspension a bit more longevity and there are lots of people who never do it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
yes you should use your levelers to relieve some of the preasure, it is not required to raise it off the ground,,, just bring it up like you were leveling it to let her rest.
or,,,go camping.

Tags
tires, weight