Storage Techniques - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-06-2008, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Another one of my "just curious" questions. I've been in the habit of jacking up the Scamp when storing it to get the weight off the wheels, more than anything else to extend the life of the axle. Is there any harm in using the tongue jack and the rear bumper jacks to support the trailer, essentially suspending everything between the two ends? I often go inside while it's jacked up this way, so I have to take that into account as well. I know the best thing is probably to put jack stands under the axle, but I use wheel skates to push the Scamp into a corner so I'd have to lay under it to jack up the side next to the wall. I guess that could be done in relative safety, but it sure is simple to dip the tongue (which I put on a skate as well), lower the rear jacks onto blocks, then raise the tongue to level again, which takes all the weight off the wheels. Any others do it that way, or do you support it closer to the axle? I asked Scamp about it when we first got the trailer, and I don't recall a strong opinion either way about how best to jack it up.

Thanks,
Parker (about to roll the Scamp into the garage)

Old 09-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
You can get a set of really great "Jack Stands" for less than $20USD a pair. I place the stands on top a 2X8 cut to size so they will not sink in the ground or mar the concrete.

I purchased an electric scissor jack (www.heartlandamerica.com) and it has proved most useful in jacking up the Scamp and doing other things (Used it to raise Air Conditioner, Used it to adjust carpentry trim in basement) Around $60USD.

Move it to under the axle and press the up button. When you have the tire off the pavement insert the jack stand and press the down button and proceed to the 2nd side all from the spot U R at without having to get up and down.

The Scamp site recommends jacking up the camper when not in use for long periods time to get the weight off the rubber in the axle to extend the life of the axle.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
I purchased an electric scissor jack (www.heartlandamerica.com) and it has proved most useful in jacking up the Scamp and doing other things (Used it to raise Air Conditioner, Used it to adjust carpentry trim in basement) Around $60USD.
Darwin,

I was aware of everything in your post; have had jack stands for years.......but that electric jack!!! I've got to check that out!!!

Thanks,
Parker
Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Parker,
Good topic!
I'd be concerned with frame flex. Usually the best jack points are on the frame close to the axle. For storage, I'd think jack stand locations fore and aft of the axle on both sides of your TT then the tongue jack and a bumper support just to maintain balance when you are inside moving around.
It has been my understanding that jack stands under the axle will damage it. I realize this complicates your ability to move it around. Removing the weight from the wheels and still being able to move it really complicates the issue.
Axle life appears to be a factor of physical age rather than being affected by seasonal storage. Years of storage without being moved could be another story entirely.
The best idea would be to contact both Scamp and Dexter to get info "straight from the horses mouth"!
Then share your findings & educate us all with your findings!!!

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I doubt this statement has to do with seasonal storage, more like "years" storage:
Quote:
The Scamp site recommends jacking up the camper when not in use for long periods time to get the weight off the rubber in the axle to extend the life of the axle.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Dexter also recommends getting some weight off the axle during storage, and yes, apparently it is possible to damage an axle beam by jacking or supporting the weight on the beam. I would jack it up using the frame behind the axle bracket (so it was nose heavy) putting jack stands there, and then supporting the front and rear frame with the tongue jack and stabilizers.

Time under stress apparently affects the internal rubber rods, so a reduction in stress should lead to a longer life, esp in climates with long storage seasons.

Rather than speak to a person at someplace large like Dexter, where they might or might not know everything, I prefer to look through the excellent library on their site regarding all aspects of the axle -- YMMV! I'd guess Scamp's recommendations are derived from Dexter/Al-Ko's recommendations.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Scamp simply states to jack and block the axle up to take the weight off the torsion rubber to extend the life of the axle and to lower tire pressure to 15lb to extend the life of the tire. Just go to the Scamp site and download their manual to find a plethora of information.

Placement of the jack stand directly under the axle where the top of the axle is mounted to the frame is the ideal and strongest spot as there would be no axle flex involved.

Electric Jack information. Note: This jack has an emergency crank should 12VDC be unavailable.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/browse/ite...C=W8921000&