Summerizing your trailer - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #1

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Summerizing your trailer

Hi: All... We just started reversing the "Winterizing" process. Time to stroke off the list of things done last fall.
What are your "Must haves" in the trailer for the camping season??? We're going to try leaving stuff in there for the whole season. Maybe even in the fridge as we will be home and gone several times over the summer. That way I'll know I can find a cold beer when out doing my yard work.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... We just started reversing the "Winterizing" process. Time to stroke off the list of things done last fall.
What are your "Must haves" in the trailer for the camping season??? We're going to try leaving stuff in there for the whole season. Maybe even in the fridge as we will be home and gone several times over the summer. That way I'll know I can find a cold beer when out doing my yard work.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hmm ... I also have a multi season life with my Bigfoot. I do Winter training in Northern California while night time temps are not necessarily freezing, but in the 30's and the rain is hard and frequent.

I travel to the Pacific NW and/or into the Rockies in the spring where I often experience freezing temps and icy/snowy conditions while towing over mountain passes. I usually experience temps in the 20s and 30s while dry camping. During the late spring and/or early Fall, I encounter summer like conditions. The weather usually turns on a dime!

My "must haves" for summer camping changes slightly: I pack a portable, Ryobl fan and an extra battery (I do not have a ceiling vent fan). This is great when I need to cool down the cabin, but it is not yet hot enough for an AC. We got this fan at Home Depot, and purchased a 2nd fan to stay in the trailer year round. (I use our original purchase for my home office and stationary bike!).

This Ryobi fan/battery serves double duty because, if need be, I can also use the batteries for our Ryobi power drill. I need to get a 12 volt (cigarette lighter) recharger so that I can use my car to recharge the Ryobi batteries.

Obviously, I will need different clothing. But because I find myself in transitional climates, I usually pack for cold, rainy, muddy conditions, and also have tee shirts, and light outerwear for late spring.

Since I frequently dry camp, I always bring my generator and microwave oven. Food changes: I don't need soup and stews in the late Spring and early Fall (I often cook soup and stews at home and place them in the trailer's freezer). But I do appreciate my outdoor Coleman stove and camp fire grill. I have a cast iron griddle/grill which I put on top of the Coleman stove. And I pack a picnic table cloth.

One thing that I want to research: volt candles. We were at a fairly nice (expensive) Italian restaurant that had these candles at every table. Instead of a live flame, the candles had flickering LED light bulb that looked very realistic. I think this would add a romantic aura inside the cabin and at any picnic table. Plus you don't have to worry about the trailer catching on fire or the candle going out!

I'm still trying to figure out my bedding needs. I usually use a sleeping bag (or two ) during the winter. But for hotter weather, I need a light blanket that can be easily rolled up and packed away. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Regarding beverages ... I am a cold water and nonfat milk person. If my husband is not with me, I rarely drink alcohol. I do pack a couple of bottles of wine to share with other campers when attending camp-fire dinners (organized in conjunction with hunt tests or field trials). But if camping alone with the dogs ...

I have observed my friends with giant stick TTs have cases of beer and boxed wine stowed in the basement Cargo holds of their trailers. But not a lot of room in our trailers. I have a large refrigerator/freezer that would easily fit boxed wine. But I imagine we would frequent local markets and liquor stores to replenish our beer/wine supply.

Good posting ALF!

Old 05-15-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post

I'm still trying to figure out my bedding needs. I usually use a sleeping bag (or two ) during the winter. But for hotter weather, I need a light blanket that can be easily rolled up and packed away. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I have a super-lightweight silk sleeping bag liner that is a pleasant hot-weather sleeping bag of sorts, and packs into a tiny little pouch taking up almost no space at all.

It also is great for making my sleeping bag usefully warmer on really cold camping-out nights.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #4

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hi alf and maryanne! dennis and i keep our trailer ready-to-go all the time--only removing things that might freeze in the fall and replacing them before we head south.
our cupboards all contain dedicated trailer stock---we don't haul anything in from the house---and that includes clothing. whenever we decide to head out, we only need to pack some food. even the fridge--we leave the condiments etc. in it and plug the trailer into the hydro when at home. we don't use our water tanks---i know, seems foolish to not use them, but we don't...i bring water in 4 litre jugs for drinking and tea. all in all, it's the easiest way for me...not having to worry "what did i forget?"...because it's already packed.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
I have a super-lightweight silk sleeping bag liner that is a pleasant hot-weather sleeping bag of sorts, and packs into a tiny little pouch taking up almost no space at all.

It also is great for making my sleeping bag usefully warmer on really cold camping-out nights.
Jen, this sounds exactly what I need. Do you have a link showing this silk liner?
Old 05-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #6

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Jane, check this out at REI: Sea to Summit Silk Travel Sleeping Bag Liner - Traveler - Free Shipping for Members at REI.com

I have something similar from Eastern Mountain Sports.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
also--we keep a couple of little tables, some lawn chairs, a jacket plus our electric fan and heater in the trailer, too. we have friends who remove everything from their escape after each trip, but that would not only drive me crazy organizing the next trip, but logistically, it's just more "stuff" to have to find a home for.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
hi alf and maryanne! dennis and i keep our trailer ready-to-go all the time--only removing things that might freeze in the fall and replacing them before we head south.
our cupboards all contain dedicated trailer stock---we don't haul anything in from the house---and that includes clothing. whenever we decide to head out, we only need to pack some food. even the fridge--we leave the condiments etc. in it and plug the trailer into the hydro when at home. we don't use our water tanks---i know, seems foolish to not use them, but we don't...i bring water in 4 litre jugs for drinking and tea. all in all, it's the easiest way for me...not having to worry "what did i forget?"...because it's already packed.
I keep most things in the trailer year round. I usually take food items out and I also take most of my clothes out of the trailer.

The bathroom essentials, bedding, towels, camping supplies, galley hardware, etc. stay in the trailer.

I have a packing list which I check off prior to departure.

BTW, for you folks with mobile devices such as smart phones and ipod touches, I use a wonderful APP which I use to help with shopping, camping, departure-task lists. I also use it while researching products to buy for the trailer. It also works with just your computer.

To check it out: Springpad: a free app that helps you remember
Old 05-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Jane, check this out at REI: Sea to Summit Silk Travel Sleeping Bag Liner - Traveler - Free Shipping for Members at REI.com

I have something similar from Eastern Mountain Sports.
Thank you Jen! I was actually planning to visit an REI near me today!

However, this product does have mixed reviews. The Cons: its small (33") and not well constructed. Also, it doesn't open up all the way. For warmth, I completely unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a comforter . I need something that would serve as a blanket and cover my 46" gaucho couch. I would need to have a zipper installed for this sleeping bag liner to work.

But your suggestion is definitely on track!

Thanks so much!
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #10

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Jane
I use these

Amazon.com: Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping-Bag Liner (Color May Vary): Sports & Outdoors

but they are $10.00 at Walmart.
I keep them inside the big bags and just leave the big ones open if I don't need them but can just throw them over me in addition to the fleece if temps change during the night which it often seems to.

They are also nice as they are much more easily washed than the sleeping bag and of course are fleecy soft and cheap.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #11

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We use flannel sheets (100% cotton) year around. They don't get clammy in humid weather and just the sheet is enough if it's hot. Have used them for years both home and trailer.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #12

Thanks Ed, I'll check out the Fleece liner at Walmart.

The situation is that I completely unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a comforter. I have a 46" wide couch. I like the idea of a sleeping bag liner, but need it to be wider than 33". I do put sheets on the bed.

Sometimes the temperature is too warm for the sleeping bag, but too cool for the sleets. That's why I want a "in between" blanket of some sort. But you are all giving me great ideas. To avoid hijacking this thread any further, I will start a new one regarding my gaucho couch. It is uncomfortable and I need some ideas.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We use a top sheet with a very light electric blanket. If it get's cool on comes the electric blanket. If it gets very cold, on comes a quilt on top of the E blanket.

Norm
Old 05-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #14

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Thanks Ed, I'll check out the Fleece liner at Walmart.

The situation is that I completely unzip my sleeping bag and use it as a comforter. I have a 46" wide couch. I like the idea of a sleeping bag liner, but need it to be wider than 33". I do put sheets on the bed.

Sometimes the temperature is too warm for the sleeping bag, but too cool for the sleets. That's why I want a "in between" blanket of some sort. But you are all giving me great ideas. To avoid hijacking this thread any further, I will start a new one regarding my gaucho couch. It is uncomfortable and I need some ideas.
Thats the beauty of this fleece.
It too is a single bag but I use 2 of them zipped together and then use inside my 2 heavy bags zipped together.

This weekend I used just the fleece on Thursday and was on top of the bottom heavy bag but Friday and Saturday it got cold so I plopped the heavy top on top and was all snug inside.