Surge Protector size 50 AMP site, 30 AMP Egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Name: Sandra
Trailer: 2006 EggCamper #35
Florida
Registry
Surge Protector size 50 AMP site, 30 AMP Egg?

Hi everyone -

Looking to buy a surge protector. The EggCamper is 30 AMPS, and most Florida SP sites seem to be 50 AMP. In what order do you put the adapter plug and the surge protector? IT seems like 50 AMP surge protector with 30 AMP adapter plug makes sense - but we have a lot to learn about RV electrical

Alternately - we can plug the adapter into the 50 AMP outlet, then 30 AMP surge protector.

I know some people do not use surge protectors, but we will be camping mostly in Florida. Lightning strike on the campground grid is a very real possibility. Two friends have had house fires from lightning strike so I believe in being cautious.

Thanks in advance for the support and advice.

Sandy
SandyNorthFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Hi everyone -

Looking to buy a surge protector. The EggCamper is 30 AMPS, and most Florida SP sites seem to be 50 AMP. In what order do you put the adapter plug and the surge protector? IT seems like 50 AMP surge protector with 30 AMP adapter plug makes sense - but we have a lot to learn about RV electrical

Alternately - we can plug the adapter into the 50 AMP outlet, then 30 AMP surge protector.

I know some people do not use surge protectors, but we will be camping mostly in Florida. Lightning strike on the campground grid is a very real possibility. Two friends have had house fires from lightning strike so I believe in being cautious.

Thanks in advance for the support and advice.

Sandy
Since, with the adapter, you will only be using 1/2 (or one 120v leg) of the 50 amp surge protector, it would be less expensive to use the adapter first, and a 30 amp surge protector.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since, with the adapter, you will only be using 1/2 (or one 120v leg) of the 50 amp surge protector, it would be less expensive to use the adapter first, and a 30 amp surge protector.
Thanks Jon for the clarification. That is what I'll buy.

Sandy
Old 08-02-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
And don't skimp on quality, buy the best one you can find. Stay away from the low end entry models. I have the Surge Guard Model 34830 for 30 Amp service. About $250 and worth every penny.

Had a site this spring at a camp ground that someone must have torn the power breaker box off it's mount and someone wired in a new breaker box and it was not grounded. Would not have known that without the Surge Guard. Told the office I wanted another site and to get that site corrected by a licensed electrician before someone gets hurt or worse.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
And don't skimp on quality, buy the best one you can find. Stay away from the low end entry models. I have the Surge Guard Model 34830 for 30 Amp service. About $250 and worth every penny.
Hi Lockman,

Yes - I agree it is worth investing in. I've been the ground once - not fun! Not injured but boy was I

Progressive industries has the surge protector both without and with EMS (Electric Management System). The one with is about $250 but I'm guessing that is the one we want.

Thank you for the advice.

Sandy
Attached Thumbnails
Smart surge with EMS_30 AMP.jpg  
Old 08-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Sandy,
Glad I could help, my unit is made by Southwire.

Another must have item is a water pressure reducer. Heard many a story about people hooking up their campers turning on the water and going out for supplies and returning to a flood. A water pressure reducer is a $5.00 item.

Stay safe,

Jack
Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Florida
Registry
Thanks Jack

I bought the water pressure reducer. Getting your first TT is more like buying a second house than upgrading from a tent

We pick up the Egg on 8/14 - right now there is gear everywhere. Only a few items left on the "must have" list and the rest will wait.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyNorthFL View Post
Hi everyone -

Looking to buy a surge protector. The EggCamper is 30 AMPS, and most Florida SP sites seem to be 50 AMP.

Sandy
Every Florida campground we have been in, both private and State Parks, if they had a 50 amp outlet they also had a 30.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
50 Amp Service vs. 30 Amp Service

Once-upon-a-time, noticing that the campsite I reserved offered 50 amp service, I acquired a 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail. However, several campgrounds later, the pigtail is still in the bag unused.

It seems that the pedestals that offer 50 amp service also have the standard 30 amp outlet along with the usual 20 amp outlets.

Good to have the adapter just in case. So far I have used my 30 amp surge protector directly from the pedestal's 30 amp service to my travel trailer rather than using the pigtail in-between.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:49 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
I could have used a 50-30A pigtail at my last memorial day weekend music festival, my pedestal was doubled up, and the other guy had hte 30A plugged in before I got there.... so I just used my 15A adapter in the 20A outlet, and we never needed the AC and never use the microwave anyways, so it was all good.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Every Florida campground we have been in, both private and State Parks, if they had a 50 amp outlet they also had a 30.
Good to know - thanks Bob. Reserve America site descriptions list as 50 without mention of hookup for 30.

Sandy
Old 08-03-2019, 06:20 AM   #12

Florida
Registry
Thanks Larry and John for the additional information. I feel comfortable ordering the electrical gear now - and have a better sense of what I'll find at the sites.

Sandy
Old 08-03-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

Massachusetts
John in Santa Cruz

John,

That's weird. Are you sure that the other guy's rig wasn't faced in the wrong direction and was using your electric supply instead?

I was in the Pocono Mts. recently and the guy next to me was in just that situation and instead of turning his camper around he had to snake all his water, waste and electric under his camper.

Jack
Old 08-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
John,

That's weird. Are you sure that the other guy's rig wasn't faced in the wrong direction and was using your electric supply instead?

I was in the Pocono Mts. recently and the guy next to me was in just that situation and instead of turning his camper around he had to snake all his water, waste and electric under his camper.

Jack
no, they squeezed an extra rv space in the end of the row, this was a major 4-day folk music festival, there's only 80 or so hookup sites at the fairgrounds, and 5000 attendees. we also had to share the dump drain, but there was two water taps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Apparently these surge protectors are pretty pricey. Any concerns about theft?
Jim Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #16

Massachusetts
Yes Jim they are pricey. That's why I carry a padlock with a longer then standard shackle to lock the circuit breaker box cover whenever possible. I try to have all my padlocks keyed alike for convenience. I prefer Master padlocks.
Jack
Old 08-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #17

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hughes View Post
Apparently these surge protectors are pretty pricey. Any concerns about theft?
More with a portable unit than a hardwired one.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote