Sweating - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Name: Tania
Trailer: Newbie owners of TrailMite
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Pretty well all models/makes of Fiberglass trailers have condensation issues in the Pacific North West - insulation on the walls does help but you will have condensation issues inside any trailer if there is no venting.

The only solution is keeping something open. Some people add big covers over their roof vents so they can be left open regardless of weather and others such as myself have added Window Vent covers.

There are simple products you can buy to put in your trailer when in storage which suck up the moisture.
I hadn't seen those yet. Thanks for the link! What a great idea. I have seen the dri-eze product. I've used an open bag of charcoal at our cabin and it was cheaper and worked well as a remove moisture from the air. Good for a short term solution, but not for when you are actually camping. We just kept our windows cracked on our tent trailer. PNW is just a wet place.

TaniaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
My wife and i live full time in a 38footer on the WET! Coast of Oregon...though our full time rig (with 3.5" walls and double pane windows, and solar vents on roof) does not suffer from "Sweating"...our escape-adventure rig does (Van conversion). Our solution was what others have mentioned with the fantastic fan vent cover so it can be left open year round. Works great and now very little condensation in the mornings.

One thing you might do is replace an existing roof vent with a solar powered vent like the "Nicro 4" Day/Night Plus Vent" (google search link). The vent is powered by 2 AA rechargeable batteries recharged by the small solar panel on top of the 4" vent cover : )

Blogging from the WET! Coast of Oregon
Bed, Bath, & Beyond...
2010 Chevy Express 1500 AWD Van
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
Name: Jamie
Trailer: Boler 1977
I've learned the hard way that tarping the trailer will retain moisture in the PNW. The past two winters have proven very moldy for my Boler 77. I'm up to 4 damp rid containers and 1 humidifier that I plug in every month to re-charge the crystals. Yes, 2 windows are opened a crack for airflow at all times. Even in the summer, I refill and dump water out of the containers. I often wonder if dri-z-air would be better for the moisture. I don't have access to electricity when the trailer is parked, so there's no way to plug anything in, unless it was a 12 volt, then I wonder how quickly the battery would drain. The good part is that the inside and outside are scrubbed squeaky clean each March. Some things are just a labor of love.
jlbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Jamie, I use Dri-Z-Air because I don't want to plug in the trailer in the winter and I can't leave any vents/windows open. Rain comes down sideways where I live!

Ten years of using the stuff and I never have mold (knock wood).

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote