That sagging door... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 AM   #15

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
By the way TomKat, I had issues with rust as well. First I sanded with a metal sander using my drill (that made the process so much easier) secondly I purchase Marine Gel rust remover and mineral spirits. After applying the gel, you have to remove it within 10 minutes with the mineral spirits or it gets hard as a rock. I did a section at a time. When it was all done, they say to apply a primer within 24 hours. I did (Rustoleum Professional) and Rustoleum paint as well. I'm happy with the results, pictures will follow after completion.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #16

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
Guy- no hinge within mine- it was all straightforward steel. I was happy, though, to see how good the condition of the frame was.
The guys at the custom shop are sandblasting my frame, and coating it with a serious industrial-strength anti-rust coating that they use on classic cars.
One thing I know- I wasn't going to get that door to fit right until I shored up that corner.

Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
to add to the snowball is your axle in good shape or do you need that swapped? Hate to put it all back togetther just to cut it all up again.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #18

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I love it that you found a place interested in the work! Sounds like a very exciting project. Post more pictures!
Old 10-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #19

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
I cut out the sheet metal yesterday and fitted it to the frame, but haven't screwed them in yet. I have a templet of the wood attaching the body to the frame that has to be cut out than treated before I connect them. Later I will fiberglass under the wheel well than coat it with a rubber deadening sealant for both water resistance and quiet.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
I only knew about this place because I pass by it every day- it's a little bitty garage hidden off the road. But I knew that they also do fiberglass boat repair...
I love it that every time I ask if they can do something, they say "But that's what we do here". They fabricate all sorts of custom parts on big presses, and the welding is first rate.
More pictures to come...