That sagging door... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: scamp
Michigan
That sagging door...

I have identified the problems with the drooping door on my '76 Scamp. The whole corner of the fiberglass body was breaking loose from the floor, and sagging...
I took out part of the floor, and took the camper to a place nearby that builds custom cars and hot rods. They fabricate a lot of custom parts for show cars, etc. The crew there got a kick out of the Scamp- and then they started to take a real interest.
I was there today, and they have built an extension of the frame cross member, with a very sturdy vertical brace that fits to the curve of the fiberglass, and rises up to the lower hinge. The hinge bolts will actually go through this 1/4 inch steel. That corner of the camper is solid as a rock now.

Well, you know how one thing leads to another- I liked their attitude, their workmanship, and their prices. I have now arranged to have them take the whole body off and sandblast and rustproof the chassis. They are also working up an estimate for doing fiberglass work and a paint job. Pictures to follow soon.

Sometimes, when you are up to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember that you only set out to drain the swamp...
ThomKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL here is the thing Tom, if you have a fun llittle trailer in need of work do not take it anywhere near what I call "Car Guys" I camp with some and it always leads to a discussion on fixing something just a little bit better or making the trailer just a tab more flashy! LOL they next thing you know you will be painting it to match your car or buying yourself an equally as cool tug to pull it with! :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rebuilds, resto-mods or just fixin' is like a snake of dominoes! You touch one and the rest start falling. The end is that large pot of gold.... called CASH.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #4

Michigan
Well, the trailer now has the floor out- sort of like a bottomless ;pit...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomKat View Post
Well, the trailer now has the floor out- sort of like a bottomless ;pit...

LOL you have no idea how bottomless it can be if you keep talking to/taking it to the "Car Guys"
Old 10-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #6

Michigan
Old 10-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #7

Michigan
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN8994.jpg  
Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #8

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Car guys love to "fix things" just for fun.

Better be careful next thing you know you will end up on that show Pimp my camper ( ok maybe that is Pimp my ride) crazy show where the car guys to crazy stuff to someones car)

I think it is great that you have been able to find some place that does good work:is interested in doing the work for you at a fair price and it sounds like they will have a good time doing it too. Sounds like a Win,Win to me!

So now what year and make of old car are you starting to look for to match your camper when the car guys finish with it? Roomer has it that a lot of "car Guys & Girls" got started that same way.....or maybe they got the car first then the camper.

Have fun....Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
Nice frame repair!

I think some of these folks are just jealous...looks like you're having fun with your project.
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
We'll be having fun with you watching the progress.
With pictures of course.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post

I think some of these folks are just jealous....
Yup just having a little fun with him. We all could be as fortunate to find some "Car guys" who want to work on our small trailers and not charge an arm and leg to do it. Sadly thats not been the case for most of us.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looks like your car guys figured out the problem the first time. Not many do, self included.

I'd suggest tacking a piece onto the upright at the level of the bench. That will tie the door frame to the bench for a bit more strength. Or run a piece at an angle back down to the top of the frame.

Make sure they lift the weight off the body before installing the floor at the front. Glass the plywood to the tabs, then lower onto the frame.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Looking at the picture I would say the afore mentioned plans fit in the category of "while I have it apart I might as well...." I once ended up with a Ford pickup truck motor spread across three work benches that way.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #14

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
Hey, ThomKat, I have the same issue, but on both sides where the door is joined to the Scamp. The rust was so bad that I hacksawed the side you have shown in your photo off.
Purchased a piece of sheet metal (don't ask me the thickness) however it is ample to carry a load of weight. Put in a vise grip and bent it to accommodate the cross member and wood to fiberglass to. As for the other side the same thing has to be done. I will attach them with wood to metal screws, pre drilling first of course.
But great pictures and smart to add some metal to the fiberglass for added strength. My Scamp came with a metal hinge within the frame, did yours?
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #15

Georgia
By the way TomKat, I had issues with rust as well. First I sanded with a metal sander using my drill (that made the process so much easier) secondly I purchase Marine Gel rust remover and mineral spirits. After applying the gel, you have to remove it within 10 minutes with the mineral spirits or it gets hard as a rock. I did a section at a time. When it was all done, they say to apply a primer within 24 hours. I did (Rustoleum Professional) and Rustoleum paint as well. I'm happy with the results, pictures will follow after completion.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #16

Michigan
Guy- no hinge within mine- it was all straightforward steel. I was happy, though, to see how good the condition of the frame was.
The guys at the custom shop are sandblasting my frame, and coating it with a serious industrial-strength anti-rust coating that they use on classic cars.
One thing I know- I wasn't going to get that door to fit right until I shored up that corner.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
to add to the snowball is your axle in good shape or do you need that swapped? Hate to put it all back togetther just to cut it all up again.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #18

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I love it that you found a place interested in the work! Sounds like a very exciting project. Post more pictures!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #19

Georgia
I cut out the sheet metal yesterday and fitted it to the frame, but haven't screwed them in yet. I have a templet of the wood attaching the body to the frame that has to be cut out than treated before I connect them. Later I will fiberglass under the wheel well than coat it with a rubber deadening sealant for both water resistance and quiet.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #20

Michigan
I only knew about this place because I pass by it every day- it's a little bitty garage hidden off the road. But I knew that they also do fiberglass boat repair...
I love it that every time I ask if they can do something, they say "But that's what we do here". They fabricate all sorts of custom parts on big presses, and the welding is first rate.
More pictures to come...