The Trailer Guardian - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #15

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Just to finish off the discussion of the manufacturer's intent regarding "mismatched" components...
I sent DuraSafe this question:
Quote:
I see on your website that the Trailer Guardian is intended help "prevent accidental decoupling caused by mismatched ball and coupler..." By this, do you mean accidentally losing the trailer because it has a different size coupler (2", for instance) than the ball on the hitch (1-7/8", for instance)?
and they provided this reply:
Quote:
Thanks for contacting us. Yes, the Trailer Guardian does prevent the coupler from accidentally popping off the tow ball during travel if an improper tow ball size is used. There are instances when people either forget or don't realize a coupler calls for a specific size tow ball and when not matched up correctly the coupler can pop off. This can be a dangerous situation.

Best regards,

Cathy
DuraSafe, Inc.
866-544-5615 phone
262-544-4273 fax
I would still rather ensure that the coupling is correct by the methods recommended here (pulling up with the trailer jack) than hook up another device each time; I would rather ensure that the ball is correctly installed (such as by the methods Pete described) than install another device; and the think the "pre-flight checklist" approach is more valuable than adding another task to be forgotten.

But hey, if it helps you, go for it!

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Pete, I'm surprised that you didn't list the ball mount with the hex recess to match a hex on the base of the ball (I think from Reese?) which you described in an earlier topic. This would address the cause of ball&nut loosening which Mike encountered.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:02 PM   #17

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I believe that if you have the coupler properly adjusted for a 2" ball and inadvertently put o a 1 7/8" ball, the coupler will be still set too small for the smaller ball to slip thru the coupler....unless maybe if you ran a great distance with a too light tongue weight and the coupler was continually trying to lift off the ball.......As to the ball coming off...if the nut is properly tightened with a new or uncollapsed fairly new lock washer, you'll have a hard time getting the nut off the ball even with the use of a large shop vise and a 24" pipe wrench.....and then again as mentioned by others why not use a cotter pin in the threaded shank as a back up?.......Benny