thermoelectric coolers--Are they reliable? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Intend to troubleshoot the one I have. It does work. A graph of performance over time would be a teacup. Temperature goes down then climbs back up on 120VAC. I think I've got the old spider problem in the gas orifice on propane. I really do wonder if the air syphon or cooling air column is sufficiently narrow and sufficiently sealed off from other areas to actually work? I have a lower access/air vent and an upper exhaust vent which is about two feet higher on the side of the trailer. Perhaps build a better "chimney" and add a couple DC muffin fans? My quest for alternatives has led me back to my upright Coleman ice chest in the interim.

Jack I suspect that the money spent on an temp alternative cooler may be better spent having the fridge system you have checked and cleaned by an rv repair place.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Over Labor Day weekend, I picked up a Black&Decker 2.7 Cu.Ft. compressor fridge from ChinaMart. 79$. I believe it is a rebadged Haier. Fired it up on shore power in the trailer; ice cubes in 3 hrs. Also could make a heck of a room heater in chilly fringe season adventures.

Well, it fits under the table of the front dinette so will serve while on the grid until I get a sheet metal chimney, baffle, and muffin fans behind the Dometic. I don't have a sheet metal brake so will have to get my sketches and method of install firmed up before borrowing one.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote