Things I learned on my first trip... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 AM   #1

Name: Chris
British Columbia
Things I learned on my first trip...

My wife, 3.5 month old son and I just went from Port Moody to Saskatoon and back for a family reunion. We were pulling our new-to-us '74 Trillium 1300 with a '97 Subaru Outback Sport (Impreza). I thought I'd share some of the things we learned along the way as well as some things that we planned and worked out well for us:

1. Bring a looooong, heavy gauge extension cord. RV sites have the receptacles all over the place. We ended up getting a 50' 12 AWG cord from CT a few days into our trip.

2. Similar to #1, bring two 25' drinking water hoses.

3. A 15A-to-30A plug adapter is handy if you get to a campground that doesn't have any 15A sites left over.

4. An Ikea Skubb hanging shoe organizer makes a great storage cubby for the closet without sacrificing the ability to hang a couple jackets in there.

5. You can make a surprisingly good city water faucet from a brass sill faucet and a few extra plumbing adapters/bits.

6. Don't be shocked if the inside of your trailer is all dusty after 36 kms on a grid road.

7. If the wind is blowing against you, your fuel economy can drop dramatically (got ~150 km less than expected on one tank). This is especially important if your gas gauge is broken and you rely on your odo to judge your gas stops.

Happy travels,

Chris P.
chrispy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Great tips!
I too tow a 1975 Trillium 1300 with a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (2.5T). I've only done a few trips with it around the lower mainland.
How did you find your trailer and Subie combo in the mountians?
Do you have trailer brakes?
Cheers!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
The Skubb looks interesting. I see a 9-compartment organizer and a 5-compartment one (similar height; fewer compartments, but nearly twice as wide).

$4.99
Click image for larger version

Name:	skubb 9.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	31106

I know this is subjective, but how "bendy" are the shelves? That has been my reason for not getting things like this in the past. I mean, I know it's not going to be totally rigid like a plywood shelf, but given that, are they more sturdy or more bendy?

If I'm reading it right, the "walls" are fabric and the "shelves" are harder plastic?

How did you attach/suspend it in the closet space?

Thanks,
Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Hi all - aren't those "Skubb" organizers great? Mine was too long, so I used butterfly clips on each side to cinch up the bottom compartment; and, a friend who is a wood worker made a sturdy wooden hanger that I put the velcro fasteners around, and it hangs just fine. Sometimes have to put a long coat in the front of the organizer, so stuff doesn't fall out as I drive, but other than that it's just perfect!!
We do learn how to improvise, don't we
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hi Chris, why not LEARN MORE about our Glass Eggs and come out next weekend to The Fort Campground in Fort Langley??? Sept 17/19th.
Reserve through the Fort and tell them you are with the Glass Egg group (to get set up amung us?) You could always just come Saturday for the day IF you can't get the weekend off!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post

I know this is subjective, but how "bendy" are the shelves? That has been my reason for not getting things like this in the past. I mean, I know it's not going to be totally rigid like a plywood shelf, but given that, are they more sturdy or more bendy?

If I'm reading it right, the "walls" are fabric and the "shelves" are harder plastic?

How did you attach/suspend it in the closet space?

Thanks,
Raya
Our closet has a rod for hangers in it (isn't that the norm??) so we just put it on the closet rod like you would in your home. As for the shelves, they were sturdy enough to hold things like a baby wipes container but bendy enough that we could get some things to fit you would think would be too big. We used it for our toilet bags, baby change stuff, toaster, enamel hot water kettle, travel mugs...

Chris P.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #7

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the additional info.

(I don't know about all campers, but Bolers have the closet rod running parallel to the axle.)
Old 09-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
(I don't know about all campers, but Bolers have the closet rod running parallel to the axle.)

I am lost with that statement, but that doesn't mean anything ! Anyway, Raya as long as the rod isn't vertical, you should be ok!

I too have a similar closet hangy thing........... I love it! I use it more when we are camping versus traveling. When traveling I tend to hang more stuff. But these can be taken out easily enough. When camping we tend to have more folded clothes so its great to have the shelves. Mine are pretty strudy, press board-ish stuff that is covered with fabric. Hope this info helps Raya
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:22 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the additional info.

Ahhh, our closet rod runs perpendicular to the axel, parallel with the door...imagine that.

I just had another look at it to be sure I was correct about the 'stiffness' and the top and bottom of the unit are fabric filled with a stiff material that covers the entire top/bottom shelf area and the intermediate shelves are just the fabric with about at 1/2" of stiffening material sewn in at the front and back of the shelf which makes them hold their shape quite well.

Chris P.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #10

Sorry Robin. Okay, you know how in a house, you open the closet door and the closet rod runs from right to left?

In the Boler it is attached to the front wall of the closet (where the closet door is) and runs to the outside wall of the camper.

Now that is one thing I do not have a photo of.

Okay, found one. (It's from "Sunny," which I think belongs - or belonged to someone from FGRV - hope you don't mind that I used this photo from the web).

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=boler closet.jpg Views: 15 Size: 84.6 KB ID: 31115" style="margin: 2px" />

I guess it was mounted this way because the closet is wider than it is deep; if it went the other way it would have to be lower down or else just rub the shoulders of your coats right through as you drove.

Raya
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Great tips!
I too tow a 1975 Trillium 1300 with a Subaru Legacy GT Wagon (2.5T). I've only done a few trips with it around the lower mainland.
How did you find your trailer and Subie combo in the mountians?
Do you have trailer brakes?
Cheers!
Emily
Hi Emily,

We were fine in the mountains. We travelled the Coq, 97-C and #1 on the way east and came back via #3 (highest paved pass in BC). We kept our distance and kept to the right on the uphill bits. Our impreza only has a 2.2L engine (137 HP) so your Legacy should be better. Our car has 280000 kms on it too so I'm sure 137 HP is optimistic to say the least. We were mindful about packing light though as the towing capacity of the Scoob is only 1500 lbs. Also, I should note that our car has a manual transmission.

No brakes on the trailer but we will likely make that upgrade to ease wear on the car brakes and add some extra margin of safety in situations where we need to make an emergency stop.

Chris P.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Sorry Robin. Okay, you know how in a house, you open the closet door and the closet rod runs from right to left?

In the Boler it is attached to the front wall of the closet (where the closet door is) and runs to the outside wall of the camper.

Now that is one thing I do not have a photo of.

Raya

I kinda thought I knew what you were saying, but now I am thinking I am really lost, you say that the rod runs to the outside wall of the camper. Mine does too? Oh good gawd it doesn't matter . (of course I would make it harder) LOL............ Anyway as I said as long as it isn't vertical you are good to go..............

Mine does have a press board type of shelve bottoms, each shelve. So very sturdy. If I remember correctly I got mine at Marshalls/Ross? I know there was another discussion about them at one time. Someone had used instead of building a permanent shelving. Because like me they need the versatility of these.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #13

Well a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for the clarity Raya! Dang that rod is short.

Hmmmm, I not sure if the one I have would fit on it. I think our closet is deeper, so even if the rod was positioned like that it would fit. I will try and remember to run out and measure mine, so it will give you an idea if it would work for you.

Have some errands to run, but when I get back I will let you know.....
Old 09-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #14

Hi Robin,

No need to measure -- I know an organizer like that on the Boler rod would not work without some kind of modding. That's because the openings would face the side of the closet in stock position. I know there are other ways to mount it, so that's why I asked Chris; because I like to see the clever things other people come up with.

I actually have hard shelves in my closet now -- just quickies I put in there to test how I like having shelves vs. not.

Thanks though

Raya
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #15

okie dokie!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
No need to measure -- I know an organizer like that on the Boler rod would not work without some kind of modding. That's because the openings would face the side of the closet in stock position.
How about using one of those old style wooden suit hangers that has the dowel that swivels out to hold your pants. Open the dowel, slide your "shelf" over and latch, then hang it up in your boler closet.

Name:   coathanger.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  7.4 KB
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispy35 View Post
Hi Emily,

We were fine in the mountains. We travelled the Coq, 97-C and #1 on the way east and came back via #3 (highest paved pass in BC). We kept our distance and kept to the right on the uphill bits. Our impreza only has a 2.2L engine (137 HP) so your Legacy should be better. Our car has 280000 kms on it too so I'm sure 137 HP is optimistic to say the least. We were mindful about packing light though as the towing capacity of the Scoob is only 1500 lbs. Also, I should note that our car has a manual transmission.

No brakes on the trailer but we will likely make that upgrade to ease wear on the car brakes and add some extra margin of safety in situations where we need to make an emergency stop.

Chris P.
Thanks Chris for your real life low down, always helpful!
Yes you are right about the Legacy, it has a bit more umph (270HP) and also has a higher tow rating (2000lbs) so the mountains shouldn't be too much of an issue. Our Legacy is also a a manual transmission....way more fun!
I too want to get trailer brakes in the future....safety and less wear and tare on the car.
Have you delt with any of the local trailer shops? If so what was your experience?
Thanks again!
Emily
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I used two Skubb in my closet in the Boler, a full sized one and a shoe sized one. They take up the whole space in the closet side to side and leave a bit of unused space behind them. They are too long but that isn't a big deal I just left the extra, it folds underneath.

I removed the side to side pole and mounted a front to back pole to hang them from. The stiff plastic top it the units had to be trimmed to make them fit. I opened up the back top stitching and cut the insert till they fit in the closet level.

I wish they had more support in the cubbies but they do work great. I would like to have shelves instead but don't want any more holes in the glass.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily R. View Post
Thanks Chris for your real life low down, always helpful!
Yes you are right about the Legacy, it has a bit more umph (270HP) and also has a higher tow rating (2000lbs) so the mountains shouldn't be too much of an issue. Our Legacy is also a a manual transmission....way more fun!
I too want to get trailer brakes in the future....safety and less wear and tare on the car.
Have you delt with any of the local trailer shops? If so what was your experience?
Thanks again!
Emily
270HP?!? Are you sure it's not 170HP?

I've been getting assorted bits from Go-West in Coquitlam (city/gravity water panels, butyl tape) and they are nice to deal with. I haven't had any work done by others though.

Chris P.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I would like to have shelves instead but don't want any more holes in the glass.
Hi Lizbeth,

I've seen a number of ways to do that, but I'll tell you what I did in about a half hour. I like to make functioning mock-ups to test out whether I will like something or not. Sometimes they function well enough to be permanent

At any rate, here is what I did to make shelves in my Boler closet. I found everything in my scrap stock or on hand already:

First, I found four boards that could be cut to the right height for the four corners of the closet. These were in the 1 x 3 or 1 x 4 range, and the wide sides go against the side walls of the closet.For the one that sits on the wheel well, I placed another short board under it to spread the weight (and I don't store bricks on the shelves).

One I had these all cut to size (the tops could run a bit "wild"), I laid them side by side on the workbench (at the levels they would be at in the camper) and drilled a number of holes for a selection of shelf positions. You can make a line across them all to line up the holes.

I sized the holes for some dowels I had on hand (the small ones with the fluted sides and rounded ends that you use to join wood). Then I placed the four boards in the closet in their positions, and measured for some shelves. I built the shelves out of scrap 1/4" luaun ply, with scrap 1 x 1 type cleats around the edges for support.

To use them, they just slip into place between the uprights, and rest on top of the dowel pegs. The shelves themselves keep the uprights in place with a friction fit. The closet walls and front edges keep the shelves inside. You could screw one middle shelf to the uprights (through the cleats) to help hold them in place on the road (my mockups have not been on the road yet).

Obviously this is not rocket science, and from your previous posts I have a feeling you could carpenter rings around me, but I just thought I would mention it.

I had thought about a neat method I saw used in a Trillium that used ~1" dowels for uprights and shelves with holes in the corners, then pegs in the dowels to support the shelves, but with the Boler closet sloping in at the top it was a little less wonderful. Also I did not have four tall ~1" dowels on hand.

Mainly I was trying to see if I even wanted shelves in the closet. They seem like a great use of space, and yet I find that I never have enough places to put jackets, sweaters, or clothes that are not clean enough to put away, but not dirty enough to be "laundry." I have considered going back to the closet-as-closet for that, but with hooks around the perimeter instead of a closet rod and hangers.

Raya