Thoughts on Leaving Propane On for Furnace at Night? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
[QUOTE=global2edg;541142]Propane on the whole time we are hooked up to shore power. We use DC for the fridge when underway - but not all tow vehicles can handle that. Just remember propane should be OFF at gas stations and going through tunnels.[/QUOTE]
(ialics added)

I believe that propane Flames must be off when refueling, not necessarily the tank itself. This usually means the refrigerator. The rest, water heater, furnace et., should be off when underway anyhow.

And as far as tunnels, only in those few that are marked/signed to turn off propane tanks. Same for ferries and a few other locations.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #22

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Yeah you're right. Stupid me goes out every morning to turn propane in to heat my stovetop percolator. I guess I'm just over safe. Although I have a water heater there's no water hookup here so pointless. Plus I have a camco hybrid heat installed so I can use electric for the water heater when water is available.

I called wendts propane just now and will make appt to get all checked when I return home. They're around the corner from me.

Forgot to mention I also have one of those gaslow full/low propane detectors on the tank outside. Is that a sort of leak detector too?

I'm kinda old school. I guess I was always going by BBQ grills. When you're done cooking you turn off the propane. Makes sense, and I guess I was just applying that knowledge to rv ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #23

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
[QUOTE=Bob Miller;541151]
Quote:
Originally Posted by global2edg View Post
Propane on the whole time we are hooked up to shore power. We use DC for the fridge when underway - but not all tow vehicles can handle that. Just remember propane should be OFF at gas stations and going through tunnels.[/QUOTE]
(ialics added)

I believe that propane Flames must be off when refueling, not necessarily the tank itself. This usually means the refrigerator. The rest, water heater, furnace et., should be off when underway anyhow.

And as far as tunnels, only in those few that are marked/signed to turn off propane tanks. Same for ferries and a few other locations.
Because we have luxury of using DC underway, we have found turning tanks off addresses any restrictions or safety concerns we may come across while traveling. Like the OP, I have a great respect for propane and usually am over cautious.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #24

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
leaks

I camp a lot so I check for leaks a lot. I us a spray bottle of gas leak detector (big blue) that is basically the same as soap and water. 50/50 mix of dish liquid and water will do the same in a spray bottle. I check for leaks a few times a summer and winter, however, your nose does a great job as well hehe. A lot of homes are heated with propane and it is basically the same setup. I have a wireless remote that I bought on Amazon that I use to warm up a little before I get up, not because I'm afraid of leaks , but to conserve battery and LP. It has worked very well for a few years now.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:31 AM   #25

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post

The difference, of course, is that houses don't bounce around on roads. A periodic rechecks of everything is prudent, but if you have done so, it's fine, and is meant to be left on when in use.
A small spray bottle of soapy water is part of my regular kit. I check all the connections whenever I refill my propane, and any time I have had to open any of the connections.

I also have hardwired an LPG/CO detector in the trailer.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:59 AM   #26

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
If you doubt my experience - Google - Propane Regulator Problems.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #27

Can you provide a link. I can't find any creditable source that suggests not turning the valve all the way ON.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:21 PM   #28

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Crack open the valve slowly before you open it fully so that the regulator doesn't mistake it for a leak and shut down.

I have had this happen to me. I had to close the valve, loosen the regulator to tank connection to release pressure, reconnect and once again open slo-o-w-w-ly, all the way to prevent stem leaks, as Bob said.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #29

I can under stand that, to open slowly because the diaphragm will vent a tiny amount as it seats. And that is also what will happen if there is a leak or an appliance left ON. But not opening it all the way is still on my no-no list. I've personally seen a number of stem leaks and have a mini tank of my own I have to recycle because of a stem leak for which a kit is no longer available.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #30

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Wendy Lee, you said above that "Although I have a water heater there's no water hookup here so pointless." If you have a hot water heater I'm assuming you have a fresh water tank. Is that right? If you have a fresh water tank and water in your water heater, you can go ahead and light it and have hot water. Maybe I don't understand your set-up?
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #31

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
Quote:
"Yeah you're right. Stupid me goes out every morning to turn propane in to heat my stovetop percolator. I guess I'm just over safe. Although I have a water heater there's no water hookup here so pointless. Plus I have a camco hybrid heat installed so I can use electric for the water heater when water is available."

I never sleep with the tank valve open. And I still have a gas monitor in camper. We all have our threshold for safety and there isn't anyone on the planet that would change my mind on this. I've seen the "holes in the Swiss cheese all line up" in industry in ways that are mind blowing and couldn't sleep at night with the propane valve open. That's just me. If you feel safe with gas appliances running in a super small area then by all means. I invest in down sleeping bags and sleep like a baby knowing that 3 failures need to line up for there to be a problem.

Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I don't turn the propane off in my trailer, nor do I dash outside and turn off the gas supply at home when I'm not using it. Same principle, no?

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #33

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
I leave mine on also. But maybe for safety I should turn off the valve to the 250 gal LP tank in the backyard. Leave a note for my wife to turn it back on so the stove will work for breakfast. Yes, it can be a safety issue, definitely mine .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 AM   #34

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My approach is gas is always on when camping, off for travel. I would be more concerned with leaking if I were turning it on and off daily. I suspect any system will wear sooner with all that cycling.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:04 AM   #35

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I don't turn the propane off in my trailer, nor do I dash outside and turn off the gas supply at home when I'm not using it. Same principle, no?
Yeah sure. If you live in a 50 sq ft house that you tow down the road at 60 mph then I guess it is the same principle. Otherwise I would say it's not.
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #36

New York
Registry
The soapy water thing. I e done that to check BBQ at home. What the heck is the matter with me that I wouldn't bring that setup camping? So just a little squirt bottle and spray the connection going I to the trailer, the propane connection at tank...anything else I'm missing?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #37

New York
Registry
Also CMartin, can you explain the wireless remote thing? Don't you still have to get up and turn on propane ?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #38

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
It always surprises me how some people have huge safety concerns regarding use of propane in camper trailers but don't give a second thought to filling their fuel tanks on their vehicles with a highly explosive liquid and driving around in heavy traffic.

I, like other posters on this thread, am not overly worried about use of propane in my camper. I turn the tanks on at the start of a trip and turn them off when I arrive home. The propane fueled devices attached to my trailer include the hot water heater, refrigerator, oven/stove, furnace, BBQ, and fire bowl. I keep my refrigerator on propane the entire time we are away, even when driving (exception being if we are at a site with electricity, whereas I then use 120V AC for the fridge). While camping and making good use of all of the above devices, I may go through one 20 lb propane cylinder per week.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #39

Quote: "I keep my refrigerator on propane the entire time we are away, even when driving"

I hope that you turn it off when refueling...

Old 08-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #40

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
Since I bought a used 2005 Scamp 13, I had gas lines replaced, installed new thermostat (yes, I keep gas on during cold nights) and gas/co monitors, and had all gas burners cleaned and a thorough inspection by local RV repair co.....now, if I could just back up straight!
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, propane, vin