three week trip scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2007, 08:53 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
Hi Guys;

We just finished a three week trip to FL in our 19 ft Scamp,
with no problems. Well maybe one, in running throught a frog killing rain for about 5 hours, the bed was wet, I guess I need to reseal the vent/escape hatch this spring, I think I'll due both of them just to be on the safe side.

I find it funny, we pick up the Scamp locally just to have something
to use, while we worked on the Bus Conversion, and the trailer works outstanding
for both short and long trips. Yea, there's not much storage for clothes and the shower is
a little, lets say, little. But using Passport America, we normally find a RV park to spend the nite in and get can a shower. Being so small it heats up fairly quickly whether we use the furance or a 1500 W electric heater, and we've been in temps as low as 28F.

I pull it with 4.0L Ford Ranger 4x4 and we average about 14 mpg towing in all conditins.
We're planning a trip to Yellowstone NP late this summer and thinking of taking the Scamp rather then the Bus (if it's ready), due to the size and ease of getting into and out of small places, sure increases the amount of camping spots opened to us.

The only thing we've had to do to the trailer is replace the converter and grey tank, whick was leaking around the outlet pipe, not bad for a 15yr old RV.

David
davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Congratulations! I'm glad everything worked well for you on your trip.

My wife and I purchased a 1978 Burro last May and took it on a trip to Yellowstone in July. We also experienced a bit of leaking, but ours was from bad sealing around the front window. We pull our 13' Burro with a 2003 VW Eurovan, which also can sleep two more people. On our trip to Yellowstone, we averaged about 14-15 mpg, similar to your mileage. Mileage was better in Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, and South Dakota because of the relatively flat land. It suffered more in the hills and mountains of Wyoming.

You'll really enjoy your trip out west! Take your time and stop often to enjoy the fabulous sights. Have fun!

Kevin
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
I have a 16ft. Scamp and I love it, love it , love it ! I pull it with an Expedition, prior to that, a full size Ford P.U. It is like pulling a small boat or utility trailer. Easy to back in, hook up and break down. Bigger things might be a little better in a campground, but it is a breeze to travel with a light load on the hitch.
Robert Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...I find it funny, we pick up the Scamp locally just to have something to use, while we worked on the Bus Conversion, and the trailer works outstanding for both short and long trips...
It's also kind of funny that the "egg" that most of us would consider a large and premium choice was "just picked up", but everybody works on a little different scale.

So, is there any point in finishing the bus conversion, or keeping it when it's done?

Temporary or not, I'm glad it has worked out so well.

Just out of curiosity... what kind of bus? It might be interesting to compare with the size of the Scamp+Ranger.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Our 16 ft Scamp is also one we "just picked up". I was preparing to do some part-time consulting work in the LA area and needed a mobile office and place to sleep for about two weeks at a time over about a year. My parents had just put their Scamp up for sale due to age and health problems, so I just gave them their asking price, thinking they might later wish they still had it.

It worked great for my temporary work and later my wife and I began using it rather than a 26ft Avion for most of our travels. We find it isn't as comfortable as the larger trailer especially during the long evenings in the winter months, and about 3-weeks is our limit. But for snooping around sundry and obscure places, with a 4wd tow vehicle, it can't be beat.

This fall we did much of the S. AZ back roads. Found several places we would like to return and stay awhile and some we would likely not. Perhaps later we will take the larger trailer. But then, when I get my Scamp to-do list done, maybe the Scamp will do just fine.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
This fall we did much of the S. AZ back roads. Found several places we would like to return and stay awhile and some we would likely not. Perhaps later we will take the larger trailer. But then, when I get my Scamp to-do list done, maybe the Scamp will do just fine.

Loren
Can you recommend some Southern AZ back roads? We just got our scamp 13 about 6 months ago.
dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel 1992
Quote:
It's also kind of funny that the "egg" that most of us would consider a large and premium choice was "just picked up", but everybody works on a little different scale.

So, is there any point in finishing the bus conversion, or keeping it when it's done?

Temporary or not, I'm glad it has worked out so well.

Just out of curiosity... what kind of bus? It might be interesting to compare with the size of the Scamp+Ranger.

We got the bus because the MH in our price range were junk, and at least we know the bus chassis is built to take the beating long roads get put on a vehicle.

It's a 35 ft GMC, small enough to get into most places, not like some of the 45 footers
you see today, which will only fit in some big RV park.
BTW Scamp + Ranger is about 3 feet shorter then the bus.
davidlebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Can you recommend some Southern AZ back roads? We just got our scamp 13 about 6 months ago.

Notice you show a location of Tucson.

There is a nice little campground on Lake Arivaca. If you want to stay mostly on paved road head SW on hwy 86 to Robles Junction, S on 286 to Arivaca Rd. About 10 - 15 miles you come to the town of Arivaca. Near the west side of town you turn right on Ruby Rd. The road to the lake is dirt but marked and on the left. It's only about 4 miles in, but seems like 10. On our way in we met a Jeep. They were looking for the lake but couldn't find it. However, we kept on and had no trouble. Along the way there are several areas where one could nicely camp with a Scamp. However down at the lake it is nice and quiet. We spent two nights there, hiked around the lake. During that time a local fellow came by to exercise his water dog and there was another fellow with a kayak who was an avid bird watcher.

If you go back out to the paved road and turn left, you have a couple of miles before you get dirt road again. Continue another 15 or 20 and you come to Pena Blanca Lake. You can either camp near the lake for $5 or up a wash presumably for free. We had neighbors from Canada in a raised top van one night and were alone the second.

From there, the road is paved again where it ends at I-15.

That is just a taste of that area. With a Scamp you can quite easily get in to these back areas. Once in awhile we have had to detach the trailer to turn around, but if things begin to look a little dicy, I walk or bike the road first to make sure it's passable with the Jimmy and Scamp.

So, have fun with your Scamp. That's what they're for.

Loren
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I, too am a Tucson resident and love to drive the back roads. Let me tell you about two trips that are favorites of mine.

Cascabel road from Benson to San Manual. Go east on I-10 to the third Benson exit east of the city and turn north on Cascabel road. Part Paved and Part good graded gravel, your first stop would be Gammon's Gulch, an old movie set town open for tours and they also offer a few camping spots (not free). Then on to the Cascabel General store, which serves the nearby ranchers and homes. You could make a quick stop to tour the ostrich farm, too. They offer some camping at the store, too. Then on North to San Manual, following along the San Pedro River for most of the trip. At San Manual, you connect to North Oracle Road, and back to Tucson. Great Weekend trip.

Another trip is Parker Lake, south of Sonoita. They have a campground under the oak trees there, and a small marina to service the lake. Good for Beer, chips and worms to fish with. You can go south from there, curve west to Lochele (not sure of the spelling) then north and arrive back in Patagonia. There is also some National Forest camping south of Patagonia that is easy to access. There are also old mining camps and mines to explore in the area.

PM me and I will be glad to recommend some more places that are great. (Hooker Hot Springs and others).

Southern Arizona is great almost any time of the year.
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp