Tight spot - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-15-2007, 08:08 PM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Per, it doesn't have to be a full-duty receiver or hitch, it just needs to be suitable for the purpose -- My very first front hitch was merely an earlier-era directly bolted on bumper hitch from a junkyard, attached to the front bumper of a large Dodge van with two bolts -- All it needed to do was hold the tongue off the ground and stand the mild towing forces of snaking my boat trailer into place and getting it out again.

Being lazy, I left the hitch and ball attached to the bumper, but I could just as easily drilled holes thru the bolts and put pins thru the holes in place of the nuts to easily install/remove it. How practical something like that may be for you would depend on your front bumper or framework...

I also have mounted a trailer ball on the front mowing deck of a Gravely mower so I could move a loaded utility trailer around.

Tirah, I have seen the manual movers being used in RV lots to move large travel trailers around, albeit on level pavement. A 2,000 lb travel trailer should have a minimum of 200lbs tongue weight (10%) and that's way more than my back can survive; that's why they make jacks and wheels and other mechanical goodies...

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Ulysses Everett McGill: tight spot.mp3

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #17
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
I'm 5' 4" and I love it when we get to a campground & the Scamp needs to be moved a little. I'll give it a little push or swing it around to get it in just the right spot in front of the onlookers with their big rigs. Bet they can't do that!
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 AM   #18
Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
I accidently drove myself into a dead end trail up on Ohio Creek Pass in Colorado while towing the Trillium 1300 with my Land Cruiser. Whoops!

Luckily I unhitched and dragged the Trill 180 degree's so it pointed back where I had come from. I had to do this by hand and thanks to the lightweight I was able to.

Then I just had to make a new trail with the Land Cruiser to get to the new front end location of the Trill.

Thank God for lightweight Egg's

I could not do that now with the Fiberstream so I might have to start reading maps or asking directions??

Fat Chance.

Ed Harris is online now   Reply With Quote