Timbrens rubber suspension - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Though the Burro 13 is tucked away in the garage for the winter, thoughts of camping trips are always part of our conversation.
I was wondering if anyone has installed Timbren rubber suspensions on their Tow Vehicle and if they are worth the cost, and improve the ride? We tend to bring alot of equipment, ie. kayaks, bikes, etc when we are off on a jaunt.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

Rozanne
Rozanne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Quote:
Though the Burro 13 is tucked away in the garage for the winter, thoughts of camping trips are always part of our conversation.
I was wondering if anyone has installed Timbren rubber suspensions on their Tow Vehicle and if they are worth the cost, and improve the ride? We tend to bring alot of equipment, ie. kayaks, bikes, etc when we are off on a jaunt.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

Rozanne
Rozanne;
While I'm not familiar with the Timbren rubber suspensions, I did install a set of Airlift 1000 airbag lifters in the rear coil spings of my 2003 Honda Odyssey last year with good success.
This kit, costing about $100 with about 3 hours labour to install (about $200 in many shops), lifts and supports the rear end of the minivan to allow additional weight without rear sagging.
I don't condone exceeding the load capacity, but it does make a better ride and the headlights don't aim high.
I tow a 3500 lb Bigfoot and have had no issues.
The air bags can be inflated to 35 psi and I keep them at about 25-30. I did install them with separate valves, but a
single one can be used. Mine are installed inside the Gas Cap door, so they are kept clean but fiddly to check and fill.
They have a 'Liftetime' guaranty (?) and the Honda Oddy Forum has many strong supporters.
(available on the Web or J.C. Whitney, and others)
Good luck.
Mike.....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Here is a fairly lenghty discussion of Timbrens Aeon system. Much of the information is from folks in Canada and Oz. I am planning to install the system on my FUSO/Casita hybrid camper.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=34910
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
another good discussion is Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I installed timbrens and wasn't happy with the first 2 inches of sag because the timbrens weren't making contact. I installed airlift bags (separate air feeds) and got the firmness through the full range of travel I was looking for.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Rozanne,

Perhaps someone could be more helpful if you stated the make and model of your tug. We have AirLift bags on our Jeep to deal with the 500# tongue weight of the Bigfoot. Installation can be tricky (we had ours done) and you have to maintain pressure in the bags, particularly when you put the tug on a lift. I had to take the Jeep back after 4-5 months because the right one wouldn't hold pressure, which turned out to be a mistake the installers made.
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Quote:
Rozanne,

Perhaps someone could be more helpful if you stated the make and model of your tug. We have AirLift bags on our Jeep to deal with the 500# tongue weight of the Bigfoot. Installation can be tricky (we had ours done) and you have to maintain pressure in the bags, particularly when you put the tug on a lift. I had to take the Jeep back after 4-5 months because the right one wouldn't hold pressure, which turned out to be a mistake the installers made.

We currently (and for the next few years), use a 2008 GMC Canyon 4 door 4WD, 5cyl. automatic to pull the Burro13.
Rozanne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
You can also look into using progressive rate helper springs like these, there are many different makers....
http://www.jcwhitney.com/PROGRESSIVE_RATE_...0;0;2005981;0;0

I don't have helper springs though. I actually added an additional leaf spring into my spring pack way before I even had a trailer, I've been very satisfied going that route.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot B19 Spiritwing 19 ft
I installed Timbrens on my 2002 Toyota Tacoma XTracab 4x4 and loved 'em. I had a shell on the back all the time. Without them, my headlights were aimed at the sky when fully loaded and people would blink their high beams at me, telling me to turn off my high beams. My high beams weren't on, my truck was simply too full in the rear. The Timbrens stopped all of this and the ride wasn't too rough. I didn't tow very much. But I did tow an auto transporter trailer (not a dolly) with my Miata on it once and it was just fine. I imagine that the load was over 3000lbs. total. I recommend them.
pascualito is offline   Reply With Quote