Time to check your Frame and make sure it is reinforced. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Time to check your Frame and make sure it is reinforced.

I got an email this morning that shocked me. A fellow boler owner sent me some pics of her boler with the front end sitting on the ground. Her frame cracked in the usual spot where they all seem to break. I just got off the phone with her and she is ok and she said it broke while she was off the highway and going real slow.

It was just checked at the Rally we had in St Malo 2 weeks ago and looked ok but people these trailers are 40+ years old. I would suggest that even if it looks good to have it reinforced anyway. Now that camping season is coming to an end for some of us it might be a good time to head to your welder and have it fixed even if it looks ok. Better safe then sorry. I would hate to know what would have happened to my dear friend if it came apart on the highway.

This does not just apply to bolers. I would check all our older little trailers as I have heard it can happen to Scamps, Venturas, Trilliums and proballly many more.

Please people lets all be Safe out there.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 AM   #2

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
An ounce of prevention…

I agree, there have been several threads about this since I've been on, I would like to inspect one to see how they dealt with bending the tongue where it cracks.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #3

Name: Mandy
Trailer: 1974 Boler
Manitoba
Thanks for getting the message out there Rick.

Hurray !! She is home and ( hopefully) stronger than ever!
I really must say Metro Trailers on Regent did a fantastic job, they really seemed to know their stuff about our little bolers , did it promptly and not too pricey either.
Mandy in winnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Name: Shawn
Trailer: 1974 Boler
Manitoba
Just took mine in

Took my Boler in to Metro Trailer today.

My frame had already been reinforced by the previous owner so I hadn't had it checked. It was $20 for the inspection, but that amount is credited towards any repairs if you need them.

They found some issues with my frame. Apparently mine had already broken in that same spot and been repaired. They found a crack in the earlier weld. They reinforced the weld and even fixed my swivel jack stand. I pick it up tomorrow!

Superb knowledge and service at Metro trailers!
sanderssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:32 AM   #5

Registry
Great Mandy and Shawn. I hope everyone that's this seriously as it would be bad to loose a trailer on the highway if they come apart. As Mandy found out Autopac (Manitoba Public Insurance) would probably write it off it you make a claim for the repair. A few brackets and welds will keep it out in the campgrounds for many years to come.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #6

Name: dave
Trailer: castia 16ft
Kansas
Could you post pictures of where they break
dave in kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #7

Registry
Front section just in front of where the floor drop is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Boler Frame.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	64367

And the repair is usually the parts being put together with a pipe shoved inside the old frame and a few plates welded over for the strength.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frame repaired pic.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	64368

Make sure you have both side checked and repaired at the same time.

Thanks Mandy for the pics to show the repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave in kc View Post
Could you post pictures of where they break
Old 08-29-2015, 08:51 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Besides the age of the trailer, were there any other contributing factors such as modifications that would affect weight, or unusual loading? It appears in the photo that when the frame was made that the frame pieces was but joined above the triangle shaped support and not welded together at all, a looked at mine and it appeared to be one continuous piece but I will have another look...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
John its important to note that Boler's were made by a number of different companies in a number of different plants so I the frames will not be the same on each of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote