Time to Wax our Scamp...whats the best? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Time to Wax our Scamp...whats the best?

Hello everyone,
First off, I have been lurching around on this forum for a few years now and think it is one of the best out there. Thanks for everyone’s experiences and tips!

My fiancée and me own a 16' 2010 Scamp and have a question about fiberglass wax. I have not waxed it since we brought it home from the factory in MN two years ago. Although it is always covered when not in use, it is starting to loose that "factory shine” and I would like to get it back to what it was.

So what is the best wax for fiberglass gel coat?
Should I get a buffer or orbital waxer?

I know it is mostly a matter of opinion but I would like to get some ideas. I know just about everything there is to know about waxing cars but when it comes to fiberglass this will be my first.

I imagine there are some marine/RV waxes that people have used and I would like to know who has the best experience with certain products and where can I get them.

Thanks
Chris
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
I've always had good luck with Meguiar's Products, I think you can get them at Walmart or any of the auto places and even Amazon. I usually get the ones for fiberglass boats etc.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I'm looking at doing my first exterior make over too. Although I think mine has 9 more years of oxidation than your finacee's!

Poliglow and RedMaxx floor wax seem to be very popular "waxes". Similar effects it seems, but the floor wax is dramatically less expensive, if less proven, and possibly prone to yellowing in some cases.

Poliglow Products, Inc.| Manufacturer of Poli Glow, A New Concept in Boat Polish

Shop Red Max 128-Oz. Low Maintenance Floor Finish at Lowes.com

Now proper buffing is a mystery to me. People seem to rave about The Bar Keepers Friend, as a cleanser/polish.

Bar Keepers Friend | Cleaning Products | Household Cleaning Supplies

Not sure if the powder or liquid have plusses/minuses for our use.

I've typically used Mothers and Meguiars products on my cars, but the small spots I've tried with that type product indicated I might want something less subtle for the badly oxidized Scamp. For the much newer trailer you're dealing with something like that may be enough.

I'm sure there are many other options, but those products seem to be very popular on here. I'll probably be picking up some Red Max, simply because I'll be in a Lowes this week, other than the internet I don't know where to get PoliGlow.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Poli-glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I'm looking at doing my first exterior make over too. Although I think mine has 9 more years of oxidation than your finacee's!

Poliglow and RedMaxx floor wax seem to be very popular "waxes". Similar effects it seems, but the floor wax is dramatically less expensive, if less proven, and possibly prone to yellowing in some cases.

Poliglow Products, Inc.| Manufacturer of Poli Glow, A New Concept in Boat Polish

Shop Red Max 128-Oz. Low Maintenance Floor Finish at Lowes.com

Now proper buffing is a mystery to me. People seem to rave about The Bar Keepers Friend, as a cleanser/polish.

Bar Keepers Friend | Cleaning Products | Household Cleaning Supplies

Not sure if the powder or liquid have plusses/minuses for our use.

I've typically used Mothers and Meguiars products on my cars, but the small spots I've tried with that type product indicated I might want something less subtle for the badly oxidized Scamp. For the much newer trailer you're dealing with something like that may be enough.

I'm sure there are many other options, but those products seem to be very popular on here. I'll probably be picking up some Red Max, simply because I'll be in a Lowes this week, other than the internet I don't know where to get PoliGlow.
You can buy poli-glow from My Boat Store.com I would suggest you buy the kit from them, they have free shipping.
I used Red Max Pro on a 1985 trailer but on a newer one I would use Poli-glow just my personal preference.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #5

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Chuck View Post
You can buy poli-glow from My Boat Store.com I would suggest you buy the kit from them, they have free shipping.
I used Red Max Pro on a 1985 trailer but on a newer one I would use Poli-glow just my personal preference.
Chuck
I'll try the Red Max first I think. Like you say, if my Scamp's finish was close to new I'd invest in the PoliGlow. But my 10+ year old finish? I'll use the cheap stuff and see how it goes.

Oh, and machine buffing??? I'm already loosing some of the plastic caps, I worry I'd loose more from a buffing machine. All hand buffing would be days of back breaking work to get any kind of gloss I fear.

I'll need to replace some of those caps anyway. So part of me thinks, just buff away and then repair as needed. But how do you repair those caps without putting in a new rivet?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
I use Red Max Pro on a 14 yr. old trailer. 2yr. old? I'd use a lot of elbow grease and a product specifically designed for protecting fiberglass. I don't think I'd go after a new one with BKF either however mild the abrasive effect.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I spray a 50/50 mix of bleach and water on the unit, wait 15 to 30 minutes then wash with cold water and one of those brushes you get at the wholesale stores designed for this purpose and if all the streaks and moldy stuff is gone I then wash with a HEAVY dose of Turtle Wash and Wax and rinse with cold water and it comes out really shinny. Shiny enough that I don't have to go through the hand waxing procedure.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Trailer: 2006 Casita
New York
Personally I wouldn't use Poli-Glow or Red Max on a 2010 trailer, I just don't think that its old enough yet for that kind of treatment. A good wax is all you need, just my 2 cents.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Thanks guys, I think I will try the Meguiar's products first and see what happens. I will keep everyone updated.
Chris
Christopher Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp