Timgren Axleless Suspension - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Timgren Axleless Suspension

I'm starting to think that it might be time to consider a new suspension under my 16 year old Scamp.

Have any of you considered or installed a Timgren system?

Old 04-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Do you mean Timbren? I do not know anything about them but Googled it. While it appears it could certainly be made to work on a Scamp you would have to (IMHO) reinforce the frame to replace whatever structural purpose the "axle" part of the original setup provided (not that big of a deal I admit). In addition, the one place I looked (Timbren Axle-Less Trailer Suspension System w Electric Brake Hubs - 4" Drop Spindle - 3,500 lbs Timbren Trailer Axles A35RD545E) was right at $800 (with free shipping) for a 3500 pound set up with brakes. I think you can find a "real" axle cheaper than that, and not have to do any re-engineering to mount it. The one real advantage I see to the Timbren is more ground clearance, or maybe it would just be easier to knock a hole in the grey tank?

Old 04-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #3

Minnesota
Yes, Timbren is the one that I was thinking about! That same exact one to be sure. Reinforcing the frame is something that I also think would be necessary. I have worked as a structural engineer, and my son is a maintenance weldor, so doing the work would be no issue. The existing axle allows a fair amount of trailer bounce, and I think that the independent suspension would give us a lot better ride in the truck. Money is not the object, I intend to use the Scamp as long as we are able to travel. I look at this as a life-long investment.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Search the back posts for Timbren. This topic has been much discussed in the past and I believe that one member installed one on an FGRV.

FWIW: Al lot of the bouncing you are seeing right now is, no doubt, due to worn suspension. New they seem to do just fine and reinventing the wheel has it's own hazards.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:02 PM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Search the back posts for Timbren. This topic has been much discussed in the past and I believe that one member installed one on an FGRV.

FWIW: Al lot of the bouncing you are seeing right now is, no doubt, due to worn suspension. New they seem to do just fine and reinventing the wheel has it's own hazards.
I was pretty sure that my suspension is worn out and causing the bouncing. That is why the search for suspension and axle alternatives.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:47 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I looked at the link I posted above some more and the Timbren looks like a nice piece of kit. I do like the "springs" better than the twisting rods of a torsion axle. The rubber in the Timbren may actually be replaceable, I don't know for sure but that would be a nice benefit if true. One point, the suspension noted is a 4" DROP, wouldn't you need something with some RISE for a Scamp 16/19 application?

I did find this quote from the installation instructions amusing:

"There are three ways to install the Axle-Less suspension. The easiest method, which is recommended if you are replacing axles on your trailer, is to install a piece of 2-inch-square tubing (sold separately - available at most weld shops) through the integrated hole in the Axle-Less suspension. Then all you need to do is bolt the suspension to the side of the trailer's frame with three bolts (not included)."

So, it seems the easiest way to install this axle-less suspension is to, well, add an axle to it!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #7

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I looked at the link I posted above some more and the Timbren looks like a nice piece of kit. I do like the "springs" better than the twisting rods of a torsion axle. The rubber in the Timbren may actually be replaceable, I don't know for sure but that would be a nice benefit if true. One point, the suspension noted is a 4" DROP, wouldn't you need something with some RISE for a Scamp 16/19 application?

I did find this quote from the installation instructions amusing:

"There are three ways to install the Axle-Less suspension. The easiest method, which is recommended if you are replacing axles on your trailer, is to install a piece of 2-inch-square tubing (sold separately - available at most weld shops) through the integrated hole in the Axle-Less suspension. Then all you need to do is bolt the suspension to the side of the trailer's frame with three bolts (not included)."

So, it seems the easiest way to install this axle-less suspension is to, well, add an axle to it!

I also saw the humor in that! That would be my method of installation. There is no benefit for me to have the addition ground clearance, because it would be very unlikely that I would ever take my Scamp into the back country.
The other methods of installation would be more appropriate for new frame construction where you could build the stiffness in as part of the design.

I think a call to Scamp is in order to find out the price of a direct fit replacement.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I believe that Scamp will also do a "Same Day" install if you ask....
Old 04-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #9

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Yes, Timbren is the one that I was thinking about! That same exact one to be sure. Reinforcing the frame is something that I also think would be necessary. I have worked as a structural engineer, and my son is a maintenance weldor, so doing the work would be no issue. The existing axle allows a fair amount of trailer bounce, and I think that the independent suspension would give us a lot better ride in the truck. Money is not the object, I intend to use the Scamp as long as we are able to travel. I look at this as a life-long investment.
Take another look...the OEM torsion axle used on Scamp is independent.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 PM   #10

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Take another look...the OEM torsion axle used on Scamp is independent.
that's one of the things I learned from my research today!
Old 04-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Regarding your "trailer bounce" issue, a lot of Casita owners are installing OMG shock absorber kits which might work on a Scamp as well. Dexter Axle makes a shock absorber kit to go with their axles also. I installed one on my Bigfoot recently and the results are great. Everything now stays put.

Walt
Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #12

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Regarding your "trailer bounce" issue, a lot of Casita owners are installing OMG shock absorber kits which might work on a Scamp as well. Dexter Axle makes a shock absorber kit to go with their axles also. I installed one on my Bigfoot recently and the results are great. Everything now stays put.

Walt
Thanks, Walt. That's one to look into. I have been pulling the Scamp for eleven years, and have watched the trailer bounce in the rear view mirror, then picked up everything lying on the floor when we got to our destination, thinking the whole time that what was needed was a bit more shock absorption.

Tags
axle